Swedish Man Arrested at Phuket Airport for 113 Days of Overstay

webfact

53 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Omitted from the article is if the Swede had money to pay his overstay fee for the red stamp in his passport to be let out of the country.

And if said passport is still valid.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rooo said:

You know you've been here too long, when you get your picture taken & you put a thumb up.

image.png.5c37344b78586740e3faaf240417427c.png

What else you gonna do?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

All I can think of with these guys getting arrested at the airport don't have the 20,000 to pay the fine, I get that, if they had a valid ticket, just let them go, now it cost Thailand to keep him, 

Don't they charge for the IDC?

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Interesting that some on this thread say that, although he knowingly broke Thai law, they should just let him go. Says a lot about some of the readership.

indeed, what people post is often an indication of the type of person they are. 

take you for example. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe the word "arrested" is incorrect. Normally, overstayers are pulled aside and fined, then let go (I always thought).

slow news day......i was at IMM yest and a NZ dude got busted at the office and had to cough up 500 bt for a day over

just like this dude..they will scold him and he will pay up or be blacklisted as the forms you sign at IMM said yest.....yawn

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

No! In the uk over stayers who are leaving are just let through and on their way at most, they may get black listed. However, in Thailand its all about the money they can squeeze out of people. I would say forcibly holding someone to ransom is an international crime, and Thailand should be sanctioned for the practice.

Disagree, he broke the kingdoms rules and thought he would just walk out. 

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

The fine is cheaper than the legal visa process.

As long as you're not planning to return to Thailand for a year or so... 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If he was leaving why not just let him go? 

If word got out that you could overstay without a fine, they'd have millions of overstayers.

And I'm always open to the possibility he had open warrants they wanted to look into.

I'm assuming, of course, that he was detained because he couldn't cough up the 20,000 baht on the spot. 

I'd agree with your sentiment if he had the dosh and they still took him to the cop shop just to add to his misery. (and to make him miss his flight,  $$$...) 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If he was leaving why not just let him go? 

To spite the AN lawyers who advise overstayers to pay their fine at the airport before boarding a booked flight to avoid detention😀

• Agree 1