2024 destinations to visit near Thailand ?

Hey guys ... so where have been holidaying this year or upcoming plans? I am talking about outside Thailand for some new ideas and getting some new culture. Mixing it up with weekend trips, to longer. Good

Let me start :

i didn't realise Kolkata, India (or Calcutta) was only two hours away from Bangkok. Now that's a complete culture change, and i am going there in a few weeks. Short cheap direct flight, got my visa. 

spacer.png

We've gone to Seoul for 2-4 days gambits.....

It's got a different pulse to it with a lot of things to see....The night markets & walking streets are clean with many things to see.... The transport systems are easy to use.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paiman said:

In the planning to visit Cameron Highlands soon.

I wouldn't bother.  It was lovely 30 years ago.  Now it's massively overdeveloped.  Didn't enjoy my last visit at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Flight time Bangkok - Seoul is the same as LA - NYC.

OP asked "near Thailand".

LOL you're right....The trips have been so seem less & easy I didn't even think about that.....

15 hours ago, sipi said:

Kathmandu

Just be aware that you’re unlikely to see the Himalayas from anywhere in Kathmandu itself, due to air pollution. Need to go on a short trek at least. Otherwise, you’ll just be seeing a dirty city with a few temples, and lacking Bangkok’s ‘nightlife’.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

What flights? Which area? I've looked into going there too. Tell me more ... 

I haven't flown there in 40 years, sorry. But I do recall the Bangkok to Kathmandu flight as one of my favourites over the decades.

Pokhara and the Annapurna region is one place I'd love to revisit.

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Flying time 90 minutes, 30 days visa exempt on arrival. 

Some find it great, Some other finds it ruinend, but ok food, and decent value for the money! 

Yep end of the year for me, KL oct and Sth Korea early northern spring...

15 hours ago, Paiman said:

Malaysia, Cameron Highlands or Baguio, Philippines.

Both cooler climate because of an higher altitude but have not been there myself. In the planning to visit Cameron Highlands soon.

Do go to Cameron Highlands , it’s great there. Loved my stay.Went on jungle trips in old ww2 jeeps, great people, visit the tea plantations, don’t get lost in the jungle as Jim Thompson did ! Cooler weather too. Take shoes and jacket.,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Just be aware that you’re unlikely to see the Himalayas from anywhere in Kathmandu itself, due to air pollution. Need to go on a short trek at least. Otherwise, you’ll just be seeing a dirty city with a few temples, and lacking Bangkok’s ‘nightlife’.

Totally respect that opinion, and thanks. I did imagine i would see the Himalayas in a sort of rural setting, didn't realise it would be a polluted city. That's a bummer. 

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

Flying time 90 minutes, 30 days visa exempt on arrival. 

Some find it great, Some other finds it ruinend, but ok food, and decent value for the money! 

What are the differences between this and a Thailand beach destination ?

Had a great trip to Sri Lanka. Lots to see,hire  a car and go around.Fabulous country  side and nature. Went elephant tracking in the night, didn’t see an elephant but heard them and saw plenty s…t.  Kandy is beautifully, pretty ,Temple of the Tooth,  Nuwara Eliya ,  Colombo for the colonial era. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

What are the differences between this and a Thailand beach destination ?

Don’t know about the beaches etc but. Vietnamese food for me is the best. 
i find the people very nice personally, I’ve been often all over Vietnam .

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Vietnam. Plenty of short direct flights available.

I went to Ho Chin Minh City. We enjoyed our two days there. Saw plenty of attractions (historical). Enjoyed the coffee culture, the motorbikes whizzing around, the old government palace there was brilliant to see. Really enjoyed it for a weekend away. 

It could be a destination to rival Bangkok, but unfortunately it lacked that craziness that Bangkok has. There was no huge massage culture, and of course it really lacked a metro system to get around - albeit the traffic is nowhere near as bad as Bangkok. 

Posted (edited)

Kuala Lumpur looks interesting.  Cheap flights from BKK. Cheap hotel rooms.  Good reasonably priced food.   Penang also looks interesting if beach is a must.

Edited by shdmn

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, geisha said:

Don’t know about the beaches etc but. Vietnamese food for me is the best. 
i find the people very nice personally, I’ve been often all over Vietnam .

I have been hitting various destinations there one at a time.  Danang beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.  Next trip I am thinking of checking out Phu Quoc.

Edited by shdmn