60 days of Paradise: Thailand extends visa exemption for tourists

george

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 22.40.34.png

Today we have good news for all you travellers to Thailand, The Land of Smiles.

Thailand has extended the visa-free exemption period for visitors from 30 to 60 days, effective June 1, 2024. This is great news for tourists and business travelers alike, as it will allow them to stay in Thailand for longer periods of time.

The visa exemption applies to nationals of 93 countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Japan. Visitors from these countries can enter Thailand without a visa and stay for up to 60 days. You can extend your stay with an additional 30 days at the nearest immigation office.

The visa exemption is a great way to save money, as it eliminates the need to apply for a visa in advance. It is also a convenient option, as visitors can simply enter Thailand and start their vacation.

This is a welcome boost for the Thai tourism industry, which has been struggling to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. The extension of the visa exemption is expected to attract more tourists to Thailand and help to boost the economy.

In addition to the visa exemption, Thailand also offers a visa on arrival program for nationals of 31 countries. Visitors from these countries can apply for a visa on arrival for 15 days. 

If you are planning a trip to Thailand, be sure to take advantage of these programs.

Here is a list of the 93 countries that are included in the free 60-days visa exemption:

• Albania
  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Ukraine
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Here is a list of the 31 countries that are eligible for a 15-days visa on arrival:

• Armenia
  • Belarus
  • Bhutan
  • China
  • Cyprus
  • Ethiopia
  • Georgia
  • India
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Maldives
  • Mongolia
  • Myanmar
  • Nepal
  • Pakistan
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Philippines
  • Sri Lanka
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vietnam

Read more about Thailand visa rules in our visa forum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Your list of 93 visa free countries contains 43 entries,  give or take (I have never been good with numbers).

Oh, and I am pretty sure Taiwan is visa free now and will remain so. China and India, too, but they are not so important.

But anyway, thanks a lot for reminding me that I am living in paradise.  Somehow I didn't notice. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

and how many come here able to stay more 3-4 weeks ?,  do they think nobody works in the west ?

the only people that can come are those retired with money and those maxing out their credit cards 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, george said:

Today we have good news for all you travellers to Thailand

This is a bad news, actually for us, long stay expats living in Thailand! And this is also bad for Thailand itself.

Stop Visa Free Entry for Citizens of Russia, Kazakhsatan, China, etc.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

It is not great news for tourists as normal tourist spend only about 3weeks holiday in Thailand. Again am empty shell to show what Thailand is doing to get more tourists, but it will not work

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, loong said:

I know many people who come out for 2 or 3 months at a time.
Before I moved here, I worked in the warmer months in the UK and came to Thailand during the British winter. 

I do too but the vast majority of people are on 2-3 week holiday

those coming for longer periods don't work for various reasons - with a few exceptions 

8 hours ago, smedly said:

and how many come here able to stay more 3-4 weeks ?,  do they think nobody works in the west ?

the only people that can come are those retired with money and those maxing out their credit cards 

Gap year students, semi retirees and some others.

When first I read the announcement on AN I immediately checked the date in case it was 01 April 2024! Then saw it on Thai TV news and Thai English language newspaper websites. So, fully out in the public domain, it must be true. Checked the London Thai Consulate News and Visa info but no mention. Still need a Tourist Visa for more than 30 days on entry.

Now D Day arrives and no change. Cynicism is alive and well! 🥺

It won't make much difference to the 90 day visitors like myself, the 60 day SETV only takes 30 minutes and £30 to obtain from my sofa, the aggro comes when you go for the 30 day £40 extension.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

How does this change affect those who can't or won't stay that long? Not at all, of course.

But for all those who can and want to stay longer, it's great news.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Caldera said:
12 hours ago, smedly said:

How does this change affect those who can't or won't stay that long? Not at all, of course.

But for all those who can and want to stay longer, it's great news.

@smedly  you'd be surprised!

I was a contractor, and for the final 10 years of my working life I went to Thailand for 2-3 months every year (UK winter) and worked my socks off in the summer!

Now I've retired, I still do it except my socks can stay on in the summer 😆

I personally know several people who do/did the same (apart from the socks)

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 2

When will they extend the O visa from 3 months to 4 months ?

That would be far more popular with the retirees who own property, spend big money as maintenance and managing one's house or condo calls for regular spending.... provided the procedures to file for the visa remain the same as now

1 minute ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

That would be far more popular with the retirees who own property, spend big money as maintenance and managing one's house or condo calls for regular spending.... provided the procedures to file for the visa remain the same as now

A NON-Immigrant visa can only have a validity of 90 days.

19 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

What would be the point? They're usually given to people who can apply for a 1-year extension once they're in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, WHansen said:

It won't make much difference to the 90 day visitors like myself, the 60 day SETV only takes 30 minutes and £30 to obtain from my sofa, the aggro comes when you go for the 30 day £40 extension.

Exactly the same for me - I do two 90-day visits a year and the online TR60 application is quick and easy - in fact, over the last couple of years they have removed a few of the sillier requirements.

The hassle is the visit to immigration for the extension.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Some people are never happy. Doubling the amount of time people can visit visa free is a major concession. 

Your 100 percent correct. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Are these changes permanent? Or will they expire/have to be extended by the government?

This certainly frees up Immigration from having to process 30-Day extensions.

It makes one wonder why they had a 30-day limit in the first place.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:35 AM, Hakuna Matata said:

This is a bad news, actually for us, long stay expats living in Thailand! And this is also bad for Thailand itself.

So now you are here and settled, you don't want anyone else to have the opportunity? Maybe because it will spoil your life?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 8:35 AM, Hakuna Matata said:

And why would it be bad for you?

And how is it bad for thailand?

• Like 1