British Pensioner Struggles with Frozen Pension in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, ronster said:

Not if you have been out of the country continually for 3 years or more I was told by the DWP.

Not if you have been out of the country continually for 3 years or more I was told by the DWP....I Think they're telling you Porky Pies M8 !!

57 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This explains why we have so many miserable, moaning people here on this forum. 

Who can survive on this little money?

That's not a standard pension, many receive higher amounts.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Would it make more sense to lobby the Thai government to enter into a reciprocal social security agreement with the UK government. An increase in all those 'frozen' pensions would result in £ entering the country and ฿ in the economy. If the Philippines have the facility/legislation then it can't be rocket science for it to be introduced here.

No UK government wants that reciprocal arrangement, regardless of how easy it may be to implement!

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not a standard pension, many receive higher amounts.

Yes Maybe they DO Lou, & There are Many that get even LESS as I Do.....

• Confused 2

I say nothing here that suggests she should have thought of THAT at any time in the past.

It wouldn't matter how much the pension was/is, her health situation and its associated costs couldn't possibly be met. Can't fairly say that is the UK Government's fault.

True, that it does seem unfair that the UK Government increased the NI contributions over the years and doesn't offer them back in reverse!

Some. countries, especially in Asia, as in Philippines, do get the annual increases in pension payments that I can tell you is 50% more that it was 15 years ago. For those in Philippines, a pension of GBP 500 per month would now be GBP 750

Anyone know what has happened since Brexit for expat pensioners in EU countries that were OK with increased payments previously?

42 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

This is surprising to me. I always thought the UK had a functioning welfare state.

She's not in the UK so the welfare state's facilities, functioning or otherwise, do not apply to her.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I say nothing here that suggests she should have thought of THAT at any time in the past.

It wouldn't matter how much the pension was/is, her health situation and its associated costs couldn't possibly be met. Can't fairly say that is the UK Government's fault.

True, that it does seem unfair that the UK Government increased the NI contributions over the years and doesn't offer them back in reverse!

Some. countries, especially in Asia, as in Philippines, do get the annual increases in pension payments that I can tell you is 50% more that it was 15 years ago. For those in Philippines, a pension of GBP 500 per month would now be GBP 750

Anyone know what has happened since Brexit for expat pensioners in EU countries that were OK with increased payments previously?

Isn't the new pension increase £898? For 35yrs contributions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Isn't the new pension increase £898?...Have YOU been Smoking Something Again ??

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

At 87 and a UK citizen, she'd be better off going back to the UK and entering into the welfare system. There's no hope hear unless she starts begging and this just not right either 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

Do you mean increase or current level of payment?

I believe the current rate is about GBP 11,000 p.a.

My example of 500/750 was just that

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

After Brexit, uprated UK pensions have continued in the EU, as it was part of the negotiations under Article 50 on the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Government website, Gov.UK, guidance on the rights of UK nationals in the EU, EEA or Switzerland to UK benefits and pensions from 1 January 2021, states: 

UK State Pension

You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries.

Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in the EU in line with the rate paid in the UK.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

After Brexit, uprated UK pensions have continued in the EU, as it was part of the negotiations under Article 50 on the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Government website, Gov.UK, guidance on the rights of UK nationals in the EU, EEA or Switzerland to UK benefits and pensions from 1 January 2021, states: 

UK State Pension

You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries.

Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in the EU in line with the rate paid in the UK.

Thank you for that - could have looked it up myself but decided to include the question while I was here in this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

I think you're missing the point. In Britain, you only get a pension if you pay into National Insurance before retirement age. It isn't a free pension. Why should people who leave be penalised, when they've paid in?

Correct.... people who have paid in the same amount but one is penalised because they choose to live abroad.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

As she has been out of the country she would not be entitled to free health care for a period of time and I doubt that she even has a GP in the UK which makes the situation even worse Being under the impression that she could land at Heathrow and be admitted straight to a hospital is pie in the sky if she entered the UK via Dover in a rubber dinghy she would have a lot more chance of being taken care of and that’s very sad !

When I went back I had to register with a GP. Ended up taking 2-3 months before I was in the system.

When on the phone to DWP offices while asking why I couldn't claim benefits for disability I said to the guy I bet if I rocked up in a dinghy at Dover I would have no problem getting everything I said. 

He said we'll no it doesn't quite work like that . I pointed out all the claims I had made took me 2 weeks to find and send off applications as most were not in plain sight to apply. Yet people in dinghies would have someone filling out every form possible to apply for asylum seekers. Where I as a UK citizen was left to my own devices . 

Needless to say I have zero intention of returning to the UK apart from visiting family.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, khunpin said:

Obviously basic intelligence has never been distributed in England. 🤦🏼‍♂️

You only have to look at the Brexit voters to confirm that statement.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Correct.... people who have paid in the same amount but one is penalised because they choose to live abroad.

Living abroad isn't the problem - it is being in a particular country that doesn't have a reciprocal arrangement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blueman1 said:

Isn't the new pension increase £898?...Have YOU been Smoking Something Again ??

That is a month, £221 a week, for 35yrs contributions, and I don't smoke anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1