Thinking about becoming a Thai citizen.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Bottom line - this thread is fake, a wind up, a joke, ignore it. 

Bottom line here is most people on this forum are helpful.

we are all in this together, one day I will become a long termer and can either be 

1. someone who helps other newcomers, blend into thai society, respecting their ways and manners no becoming good friends with the lovely Thai people

2. Be a whiney bitch giving fake information out on forums because I have nothing better to do. Telling people you can not learn Thai, you can not buy a house, you can not buy a business, you can not become a citizen etc etc on and on

i think I will go with 1.

And a big thank you to all the other 1.s out there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Oh great, someone just landed in Thailand with the pink glasses on aside from being apparently high on some very good stuff, to think he can now plan becoming a Thai citizen 555. Some first class ignorance here by the poster, he will learn anyway, soon.

This has nothing do with your options 1 and 2 but everything to do with you being wrong, naive, clearly a pink glass wearing newbie. At best you might secure Permanent Residency, but even this means Fk all, you might as well just have a sustainable running company with a work permit in that case.

Perhaps if you are like 20-25 now, you might get a Thai nationality, if you really never give up, when you are 55 years old, LOL. PR means nothing much, it is in a way the same as a Elite visa is anyway. To get a visa here, and be here long-term, never has been the issue to start with.

Last but not least, if you have any of these plans, moving upcountry is even more stupid. You would need to be in Bangkok, that is your only chance, by spending a lot of money, over many years, to make the right contacts and get any movement to your plans. I'm talking 100-200K monthly on networking.

You want something that is for rich people, you better be rich. And being rich is not even enough, just the start.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

That is interesting.

i have met quite a few people over the past two weeks who are doing it, some of who have been doing it for 20+ years without a problem.

i fully intend to set it up legally through lawyers. Some people tell me I need four thai shareholders, some tell me only two, and some say only one.

I have Thais who I can use, my girlfriend and her family members.

The lawyers set it up in a way that I still control it everything. Thousands of people do it every year.

it seems a lot of people living here long term are very successful and others are scared to do anything.

i am still relatively young, have money to invest and I am not going to put in a bank getting low interest. 

https://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/thailand-limited-company.php

There's been multiple crack downs on such companies over many years and still Thai / farang law firms set up these companies.

These law firms don't care, they just want some revenue. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's been multiple crack downs on such companies over many years and still Thai / farang law firms set up these companies.

Exactly that, they make money on it usually when the trouble came as well, by closing up the shops / selling off the assets. Even worse, they might even be the ones that alert police as soon they see a business does well. Or a house is finished.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

The main routes seem to be either be married or better married with Thai children or permanent residence.

I'm PR, it was based on 3 year tax returns in Thailand - last time I checked I think for citizenship they wanted at least 5 years as PR first. So this route if you don't already have the tax returns its about an 8 year process. 

I suspect the marriage route also needs the work permit and 3 year tax returns but likely a shorted route. 

Points system based - Job, income and length of time on a house book can make up almost half the points so that's likely why many will say work permit, tax returns and PR are key but there are other points available.

For UK, I doubt its possible even if they wanted you to give up UK citizenship and dual citizenship seems to be accepted. If you continue to pay national insurance or have paid enough then NHS in my understanding continues, I pay about 27 quid a month, should also mean UK pension is also still an option.

As others suggest there are likely other options to achieve your goals

Re dual citizenship - I recall a senior Australian embassy consular official commenting on this. His remark was 'just don't worry about it, most/all countries have no official way / no official access to citizenship records to check if anybody has dual citizenship.

Yes that was Australia and I suspect his remark would be copied by all other countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Perhaps if you are like 20-25 now, you might get a Thai nationality, if you really never give up, when you are 55 years old, LOL. 

He says in another thread that he’s 53 at the moment.

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2024 at 9:17 AM, tomazbodner said:

If you qualify for it, go ahead, but may need to give up UK passport eventually, if that ever gets enforced.

But did you check the requirements to apply? As @BritManToo says, you would need to be in certain age group, have high education, have a high paying salary from same company for 2-3 years paying taxes to prove it, have a decent level of Thai communication skills and history/cultural knowledge. They would also judge your contribution to Thai society and your appearance (I don't mean how you look but how "Thai-like" you behave).

Thai naturalization requires a minimum residence period of eight years (three consecutive years years with a non-immigrant visa and five years with permanent residence status). Securing an Elite Access Visa allows you to live legally in Thailand for three years before acquiring permanent residence.

• Confused 3

On 6/3/2024 at 9:17 AM, tomazbodner said:

If you qualify for it, go ahead, but may need to give up UK passport eventually, if that ever gets enforced.

But did you check the requirements to apply? As @BritManToo says, you would need to be in certain age group, have high education, have a high paying salary from same company for 2-3 years paying taxes to prove it, have a decent level of Thai communication skills and history/cultural knowledge. They would also judge your contribution to Thai society and your appearance (I don't mean how you look but how "Thai-like" you behave).

Thai naturalization requires a minimum residence period of eight years (three consecutive years years with a non-immigrant visa and five years with permanent residence status). Securing an Elite Access Visa allows you to live legally in Thailand for three years before acquiring permanent residence.

• Confused 1

Exactly that, they make money on it usually when the trouble came as well, by closing up the shops / selling off the assets. Even worse, they might even be the ones that alert police as soon they see a business does well. Or a house is finished.

Do you have a link?

• Confused 1

Oh great, someone just landed in Thailand with the pink glasses on aside from being apparently high on some very good stuff, to think he can now plan becoming a Thai citizen 555. Some first class ignorance here by the poster, he will learn anyway, soon.

• Haha 2

This has nothing do with your options 1 and 2 but everything to do with you being wrong, naive, clearly a pink glass wearing newbie. At best you might secure Permanent Residency, but even this means Fk all, you might as well just have a sustainable running company with a work permit in that case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Heinecke

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

That is interesting.

i have met quite a few people over the past two weeks who are doing it, some of who have been doing it for 20+ years without a problem.

i fully intend to set it up legally through lawyers. Some people tell me I need four thai shareholders, some tell me only two, and some say only one.

I have Thais who I can use, my girlfriend and her family members.

The lawyers set it up in a way that I still control it everything. Thousands of people do it every year.

it seems a lot of people living here long term are very successful and others are scared to do anything.

i am still relatively young, have money to invest and I am not going to put in a bank getting low interest. 

https://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/thailand-limited-company.php

The 'principal' of the company must submit to various gov't agencies:

- Annual company report

- Accounting and audit reports and prove such reports were prepared by qualified people.

These will state what type of business the company is engaged in.

Wouldn't be difficult for a gov't agency to do an inspection to confirm the activity stated is actually happening. 

1 hour ago, RonJr said:

I did not say what you put into my box. That's your addition.

And it's only true if you're not married, then 3 years (actually takes more than 3 years to prepare to apply) for PR plus waiting to get it, which can be a year (or 6 years in my case due to all coups happening that time), and then 5 years on PR before applying for citizenship. But, if you're married to a Thai, you could as well apply for citizenship immediately. Male or female. As long as you fulfill all the other requirements for it.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

To my knowledge it's been on larger companies in property business that have been scrutinized; I've never heard about a "crack down" on a small legally correct set up company holding a single property, rented out to a foreigner. By "legally correct set up" means that there are no nominate shareholders in the company, which is where the authorities can step in and claim corrections.

Do you have any references to that small companies being "crack down"?

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Thanks.

so really simple and cheap.

Benefits are very good and I can not see any disadvantages that would affect me. 

It has given me more motivation to learn thai quickly.

Less to prove to if I am married so I will apply after the big day.

As I understands it, citizenship it's not aimed on retirees. You need residency and work income.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

He's referring to legitimate Thai companies, set up in order to trade, legitimately. There are no crackdowns on those arrangements because they are legal.  There are crackdowns on Thai companies illegally set up, using nominees, solely to circumvent the Thai land/property-owning laws which is, I think, what you were referencing.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

The main routes seem to be either be married or better married with Thai children or permanent residence.

I'm PR, it was based on 3 year tax returns in Thailand - last time I checked I think for citizenship they wanted at least 5 years as PR first. So this route if you don't already have the tax returns its about an 8 year process. 

I suspect the marriage route also needs the work permit and 3 year tax returns but likely a shorted route. 

Points system based - Job, income and length of time on a house book can make up almost half the points so that's likely why many will say work permit, tax returns and PR are key but there are other points available.

For UK, I doubt its possible even if they wanted you to give up UK citizenship and dual citizenship seems to be accepted. If you continue to pay national insurance or have paid enough then NHS in my understanding continues, I pay about 27 quid a month, should also mean UK pension is also still an option.

As others suggest there are likely other options to achieve your goals

If applying for citizenship based on marriage to a Thai, you need to have been married for three years, and have a valid work permit and paid tax for the at least three years before submitting your application. You also need to remain in employment throughout the application process.  I know someone whose application took 3 years, 8 months and 25 days, from the initial application to receipt of a Thai ID card, which then was considered quite quick (they applied in 2012). The process speeded up under the Prayuth administration, but now has stalled again under Pheu Thai. It is unclear how long applications will take now as interviews are currently on hold, the backlog is increasing and the Minister of the Interior is a xenophobic xxxx.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Already holding a Certificate of Residency (also known as Permanent Residency - PR) helds to accumulate the points score to achieve Thai citizenship.

Many thanks for your detailed reply; I however didn't say "permanent residency", just residency (registered address).

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, MalcolmB said:

Any thoughts appreciated.

Yea ... but they would be deleted.   Was just told not to post rubbish, and that was on a similar rubbish post.

I see you gave about 16 people a good chuckle.  Silly post will get you silly replies.

Thinking about Thai citizenship, and you used an agent to open a bank account :cheesy:

... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:06 AM, BritManToo said:

It's an impossible dream for a retired foreign male I'm afraid.

You need to be employed in Thailand for 5 years.

Much easier if you were a foreign female, which only require them to be married to a local for 2 years.

Hey mate.  Now that Srettha said that same sex marriages are gonna happen as well as other major changes which I assume will be the acceptance of transgenders, just have your wife change her sex to "male" and change your sex to "female" and "Hello Thai Citizenship!"

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Already holding a Certificate of Residency (also known as Permanent Residency - PR) helds to accumulate the points score to achieve Thai citizenship.

Really?  That'll be useful. I'll have to speak to my local Immigration office about that, they issue Certificates of Residency for B200, that'll save a lot of hassle!

• Haha 1

Op - you're living in La La Land unless you're relatively wealthy and have been on a Business Visa for an extended period of time.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2024 at 9:06 AM, BritManToo said:

Much easier if you were a foreign female, which only require them to be married to a local for 2 years.

Amazing backwater.

• Sad 1