Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

About the time these start to arrive. Last Year I think mine arrived in mid to late June. Before that (and before Covid) I was getting them around June 7th most years.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Received today, Saturday, June 15, 2024

Bangkok, Phra Khanong 10110

Thanks for the notice. I'll go check my PO Box on Monday.

The wife and I received ours today/17 June here in Bangkok after a neighbor two sois over from our house delivered the envelopes to us because the mailman mis-delivered both to the wrong address....probably delivered yesterday as the neighbor wasn't sure.  The address on the envelope was correct....the mailman just flat-out blew it.   Thank goodness for good neighbors.

And this morning when checking the mailbox of a American neighbor who asked me to check his mailbox while he's away for a couple weeks he had received a 7162 envelope.

In the upper right hand corner of the 7162 both forms for the wife and I say the forms were generated/printed on 6 June.  No postmark of any kind on either envelope saying when they were mailed.   I expect they were mailed same day or next.

So, from Wilkes Barre SSA to Bangkok in approx 10 days.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

The wife and I received ours today/17 June here in Bangkok after a neighbor two sois over from our house delivered the envelopes to us because the mailman mis-delivered both to the wrong address....probably delivered yesterday as the neighbor wasn't sure.  The address on the envelope was correct....the mailman just flat-out blew it.   Thank goodness for good neighbors.

And this morning when checking the mailbox of a American neighbor who asked me to check his mailbox while he's away for a couple weeks he had received a 7162 envelope.

In the upper right hand corner of the 7162 both forms for the wife and I say the forms were generated/printed on 6 June.  No postmark of any kind on either envelope saying when they were mailed.   I expect they were mailed same day or next.

So, from Wilkes Barre SSA to Bangkok in approx 10 days.

Yes, found mine in my PO Box this morning. Have already air mailed it back

• Agree 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:17 PM, John Drake said:

About the time these start to arrive. Last Year I think mine arrived in mid to late June. Before that (and before Covid) I was getting them around June 7th most years.

wife and I received ours yesterday

• Like 1

I got mine today, June 24. The date on the form is June 6, 2024. Fortunately, the local post office seems to be more mindful about delivering mail in a timely manner now, unlike the past couple of years. I'm guessing the US Embassy in Manila might have something to do with that.

• Like 1

Just picked mine up from the PO Box, as out of town for a couple weeks, and It may have been there since 1st of June, as I check the box once a month, at beginning of the month.

Last one I sent in (2023), I did an address change, and apparently that was ignored.   That's why I keep the PO Box, as all mail is suppose to go to the house, which we have good service at.

If you did an address change, and haven't received yet, that could be why.   I'll be sending 2 or 3 copies of current 7162 back, snail mail, with an attached notice of address change.   See if they can get it right for next year.  Doubtful :coffee1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Just picked mine up from the PO Box, as out of town for a couple weeks, and It may have been there since 1st of June, as I check the box once a month, at beginning of the month.

Last one I sent in (2023), I did an address change, and apparently that was ignored.   That's why I keep the PO Box, as all mail is suppose to go to the house, which we have good service at.

If you did an address change, and haven't received yet, that could be why.   I'll be sending 2 or 3 copies of current 7162 back, snail mail, with an attached notice of address change.   See if they can get it right for next year.  Doubtful :coffee1:

A few years ago I did a SS address change just by sending an e-mail to the Manila office. Got a response about 3-4 weeks later acknowledging the change and later that year when the end-of-year stuff come from SS it went to the new address. No problem. I don't know if that would still work now though.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, lexilis said:

A few years ago I did a SS address change just by sending an e-mail to the Manila office. Got a response about 3-4 weeks later acknowledging the change and later that year when the end-of-year stuff come from SS it went to the new address. No problem. I don't know if that would still work now though.

I'll do that next, if it isn't corrected with new filing.   Manila get bogged down enough.   

Does make you wonder how inefficient anything the govt touches.   Why have  address verification on a form, if nobody reads it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I receive all my mail at a PO Box. It's just more reliable. The guy on the scooter may not read English all that well, but the people in the Taling Chan post office are quite efficient. Last year or the year before, I received an official looking document from the UK at my house meant for some Englishman over in Pinklao. I didn't give it back to the village post man but returned it to the post office to make sure he got it. I think, btw, I was able to change my address online.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Still have not received one

Didn't you say last year that you have trouble with mail delivery at your place? Hope it goes more smoothly this year. These social security forms are the second most aggravating task I have every year, worrying first about getting them and then worrying if they'll get back to the US.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Based on all reports in this thread so far the "printing/mailing" date on this year's form was 6 June....then it takes around 10 days to 3 weeks to reach a person's Thailand address.   

Recommend you use the SSA Mania website to update your address---easy....Manila even has a category just for it...see snapshot/weblink below.  Will probably take them a few weeks to respond that the address update has occurred.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/fbu-inquiry-form/

image.png.cc16c076dc5ab68949c66186ea413bf6.png

• Thanks 1

Just as FYI, depending on your address, age, and type of benefit you may not receive a 7161/7162 "every" year as a person can be on a biennial (i.e., every 2 years) vs annual schedule.   If on a biennial schedule the SSA only mails you a 7162 every other year depending on the last two digits of your SSN or the last two digits of the person's SSN the pension is earned from.

Like for a person with a Thailand address receiving a "spousal retirement benefit"  the SSA is only going to mail that person a 7162 every other year unless that person is 90 years old or older.   A spousal retirement benefit is when that spouse did not work for 10 years to accumulate enough SSA credits (i.e., at least 40 credits) to earn a pension based on their own earning record...but instead receives a SSA pension based on the earning record of another person who is typically their spouse.  Like my wife that falls into that category....she's receives a spousal pension and only receives a 7162 every other year....and this year was her year to receive one.  

If you or your spouse is receiving spousal retirement benefit then you may not received a 7162 this year....but you will next year.  If unsure about if you are coded as receiving a spousal benefit and which year you'll receive a 7162 take a look at a past/current 7162 you received and in the right side of the address block you see a bunch of numbers and you see some labelled a BNC, BIC, and COC.   Take a look at the letter under the BIC heading....if it's a "B" that means you are receiving a spousal benefit...if an "A" that means you are receiving a pension based on your own work record. Then review what the last two digits of your SSN to see which year applies.  Now I'm not absolutely sure if the last two digits used is based on the person receiving the spousal benefit or the SSN of the person who earning record was used--but I'm fairly sure it's based on the SSN of the earning record's person.     See below SSA regulation webpage and partial snapshot for more details.  

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655005

image.png.69a72aa91cdd45ac1626cf509522a0a9.png

Edited by Pib

44 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Didn't you say last year that you have trouble with mail delivery at your place? Hope it goes more smoothly this year. These social security forms are the second most aggravating task I have every year, worrying first about getting them and then worrying if they'll get back to the US.

Yes, never got it last year.  Downloaded form myself and mailed it while in US.

Looks like may need to do the same this year.

Incredible that in this day & age both IRS and SSA insist on using snail mail to communicate. Especially with people living abroad.

Mail in my area is slow snd hit-or-miss but that is not unique for rural Thailand. For that matter, mail service within US has deteriorated. 

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Incredible that in this day & age both IRS and SSA insist on using snail mail to communicate. Especially with people living abroad.

FWIW, either last year or the year before SSA held an online Q&A for expatriates. I did manage to get the representative to answer my question, which was why not use MYSocialSecurity, instead of the unreliable letter system. He said then that that was what they were wanting to do. There have been some additional functions added to the site, but of course the Form 7162 is not yet one of them. But at least some change is taking place. Maybe before I'm dead, I'll be able to verify online instead of using mail.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Mail in my area is slow snd hit-or-miss but that is not unique for rural Thailand. For that matter, mail service within US has deteriorated. 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

FWIW, either last year or the year before SSA held an online Q&A for expatriates. I did manage to get the representative to answer my question, which was why not use MYSocialSecurity, instead of the unreliable letter system. He said then that that was what they were wanting to do. There have been some additional functions added to the site, but of course the Form 7162 is not yet one of them. But at least some change is taking place. Maybe before I'm dead, I'll be able to verify online instead of using mail.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I see you can download the form online . Did they accept yours without the barcode ? And I suppose you wrote in your Social Security number under " Remarks " ? or in the section that says " for SSA use only " ? Many thanks !!   If I don't get mine in the next 30 days I will download myself and mail from the Us when Im there in August . Last year I mailed with tracking . They never received it 

3 minutes ago, jerryonjay said:

I see you can download the form online . Did they accept yours without the barcode ? And I suppose you wrote in your Social Security number under " Remarks " ? or in the section that says " for SSA use only " ? Many thanks !!   If I don't get mine in the next 30 days I will download myself and mail from the Us when Im there in August . Last year I mailed with tracking . They never received it 

Well I assume they accepted it, as my payments did not get interrupted!

I think I filled in my SSN where it days SSN (despite the "for SSA use only) and under remarks, explained that I did nto receive the form.

I'm going to the use next month. Plan to give it until a few days before my departure then if still nto received, download it.

• Like 1