US My Social Security transitioning to new login. I don't have a US mobile phone

18 minutes ago, Galong said:

OK, a potential problem as my address is slightly different depending on the document. In other words, one gives a street name and the other just a Moo 3... but both use the same house number and everything else. Whenever I bring this up to anyone (Thai), they say the standard 'no problem'.  Well, I hope not. 

Does it matter that everything is in Thai?

Yeah, I think having it all in Thai is going to be a problem. Can you get your address in English. When I first got here I used my Moobahn address and just had it translated into English. Things arrived steadily and without a problem--until they opened a substation and I stopped getting my mail (hence, the PO Box).

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yeah, I think having it all in Thai is going to be a problem. Can you get your address in English. When I first got here I used my Moobahn address and just had it translated into English. Things arrived steadily and without a problem--until they opened a substation and I stopped getting my mail (hence, the PO Box).

I think I'll go with a BKK bank statement in English and my Turbo Tax front page that has my full name and correct address as my secondary documents to verify my identity.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, John Drake said:

One more thing. I was able to use my Thai phone and number to go through the ID.me registration.

Good morning. Google Play says ID.me Authenticator app is not available for any of my devices (mobile or Windows PC).  It didn't say in was an  "in my region" issue.  All of my software is up to date. 🤷‍♂️

Did you use a mobile or a desktop to sign up?  I prefer to use a PC instead of a mobile, but figured I could probably sign up with my PC and use my mobile for the MFA codes. 

Edited by Galong

@John Drake

Sorry for my previeous message, buddy... I couldn't delete it.
I went on My Social Security and started from there instead of trying to download the app. Everything seems to be going as planned.
I've filled everything out and I'm at the "Your documents will be reviewed by an agent" we'll get back to you by email stage.  Thanks again for all of your assistance

• Agree 1

Congrats!

Thank you for bringing up this new SSA login policy. It was new to me.

I wonder; How in hell all older people cope with this? Those who don't know how to switch on pc or don't use SmartPhones?

There are less and less SSA offices in the US and world wide.

It'll be golden opportunity for crooks to "go and help" ... and make a mistake on bank account number etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Galong said:

ID.me DONE! Doc verification took maybe 15 minutes. Shortly after that, I got invited to do a video chat. I waited less than one minute. I did the video chat and just had to hold up my SS card and passport.... this was so easy. My goodness I was overly anxious AGAIN for nothing.

Sounds like a cakewalk. Glad that it went so easily for you. Now, you can use ID.ME for other services, such as IRS. BTW, I received a survey from ID.ME and they asked would I like ID.ME to be applied to other government services. And then the survey specifically mentioned the State Department (passports, etc.).

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Congrats!

Thank you for bringing up this new SSA login policy. It was new to me.

I wonder; How in hell all older people cope with this? Those who don't know how to switch on pc or don't use SmartPhones?

There are less and less SSA offices in the US and world wide.

It'll be golden opportunity for crooks to "go and help" ... and make a mistake on bank account number etc.

Thanks... and yeah, my mom turns 90 next week and even though we video chat on Skype twice every day, she still doesn't know how to open it or close it properly half the time. She's had a couple of mobile phones in the recent past and can't figure out the basics.  Luckily, my brother handles all of her online stuff like SS, banking etc. 

Both the wife and I have SSA online accts.   I also have an ID.me acct which I got to access my IRS acct but the wife does not have an ID.me or Login.gov acct.   I was dreading the possibility of trying to walk her thru the ID.me verification process which for me around two years ago also required a video interview and back then I was in the queue for a video interview for around 4 hours...this was years ago.  But it all worked out and I got my ID.Me verification.

Although I did logon once to my SSA acct via ID.me after that I continued to logon to my SSA acct via the SSA User ID method since that's what the SSA website recommends...and the wife used the same SSA User ID method since she didn't have a login.gov or ID.me acct.

But today when logging on to our SSA accts we the see the notice during the tail-end of the logon process that the SSA User ID is going away in a few months with the recommendation to create a login.gov or ID.me acct. 

Now I was hoping (praying) a person would not have to go thru the normal/standard "login.gov" acct creation and full-blown identity verification process, but a much shorter process that includes a quickie/hidden activation process that is already setup by the SSA with login.gov.   That is, follow the SSA instruction/links for setting up a login.gov acct for SSA acct login purposes and other than having to create a basic login.gov acct (i.e., a login.gov user id and password plus a security code verification method such as Authenticator App, acceptable mobile number, etc.) that this quickly/special activation process would allow login to your SSA acct thru the login.gov portal without going thru a full-blown login.gov identity verification process.  And my pray was answered....see below.

You can create a login.gov acct for the purpose of logging into your SSA online acct by following the SSA instructions.  Right at the tail-end of your SSA acct logon via the SSA User ID method you will get the notice about the logon method change to requiring login.gov or ID.me.  At that point click the create login.gov icon which will take you to login.gov where you create a login.gov acct---all you need to create at this point is al login.gov  User ID (i.e., you email address), password and setup a security code method (e.g., authenticator app, mobile number, etc).  For the wife login.gov would not accept the wife's Google Voice number or her DTAC mobile number---login.gov said both were VOIP numbers which are not accepted.   Now her DTAC number is definitely a mobile number but for whatever reason login.gov thinks it's a VOIP number.  So, instead she setup the Authenticator app method (see it up on Microsoft Authenticator and Google Authenticator)....this made login.gov happy.  After a few more clicks she was taken to her SSA acct....was logged right in. 

NOW IT'S IMPORTANT YOU "FOLLOW THE PROVIDED SSA LINKS" TO CREATE A LOGIN.GOV ACCT as this will utilize a special login.gov activation/verification process which will allow you to login to your SSA acct without going thru a full-blown identity verification process with login.gov.  This is the same way the Veteran's Administration (VA) set  things up when several years ago they decided to kill-off their login User IDs and switch to login.gov.  Basically, the SSA and login.gov have setup a special process that allows you to create a login.gov acct for SSA acct logon purposes which utilizes the identify verification that SSA already did on you years back when you first got your SSA online acct.

Now if you don't follow the SSA links that take your to login.gov during that initial login.gov acct creation and instead your just manually open another browser to go to login.gov to create a login.gov acct then the special/quickly login.gov acct creation just for SSA acct access will not workout/would be bypassed....instead, login.gov will want you to do a full-blown identity verification.   

So, right at the tail-in of your SSA acct logon when presented with the notice and chance to create a login.gov acct, follow/click on the SSA link which will take you to the login.gov site. Create a login.gov user id, pw, and security code receipt method and in a few more clicks you will be into your SSA online acct via the login.gov portal.     Then after you log off try logging onto your SSA acct again BUT THIS TIME click the login.gov link, log into login.gov and you are then automatically taken into your SSA online acct.

If you don't have a mobile number that login.gov will accept then setup the Authenticator method....and also recommend you setup a 2nd method of getting the 10 or so Backup Codes which are one time use codes.  Not having an acceptable mobile number does NOT prevent a person from creating a login.gov acct for the purpose of logging onto their SSA online acct as long as the person follows the SSA instructions/links in initially creating the login.gov acct. 

Both the wife and I setup login.gov acct this evening by following those SSA instructions/links...only took a few minutes.  Gosh, I was so happy SSA has setup a special transition method to create a login.gov acct for SSA acct logon purposes.   

• Thumbs Up 2

@Pib Did login.gov accept a Thai address? From what I've read it requires a US address and telephone, that's why I opted for ID.me, which was dead easy to setup. 

I have Google Authenticator on my Thai phone. I'll keep this in mind if somehow ID.me goes on the blink. 

10 hours ago, Galong said:

@Pib Did login.gov accept a Thai address? From what I've read it requires a US address and telephone, that's why I opted for ID.me, which was dead easy to setup. 

I have Google Authenticator on my Thai phone. I'll keep this in mind if somehow ID.me goes on the blink. 

If clicking on the link to Login.gov that SSA displays right at the tail end of your SSA acct login using the SSA User ID login method (the method going away in a few months) that SSA link to Login.gov will have some underlying/hidden/special activation coding that does not require a full-brown Login.gov identity verification/registration.   

You will only need to create the bare bones Login.gov acct consisting of your Email address, a PW you will create, and selection of a method to accomplish two factor authorization (2FA) such as using your phone number, Authentication app such as Google Authenticator or MS Authenticator (whatever authenticator you may want to use), or a couple other 2FA options.... and then closely following the additional instructions where Login.gov will validate your email address and phone number if using the phone number method for two factor authorization.   

No address of any kind required....repeat, no address of any kind required.  You might want to call this a special setup between SSA and Login.gov that will allow people to login to their SSA acct via the Login.gov portal without setting up a full-blown Login.gov acct where Login.gov goes thru a complete identity verification (i.e., ID, address, phone number, etc...etc).

JUST BE SURE TO GO TO THE LOGIN.GOV SITE VIA THE LINK THAT WILL APPEAR AT THE VERY END OF YOUR CURRENT SSA LOGIN....THAT LINK HAS SPECIAL/HIDDEN CODING (HAS AN UNDERLYING ACTIVATION CODE) THAT BASICALLY TELLS LOGIN.GOV TO CREATE A BAREBONES LOGIN.GOV ACCT MINUS ALL THE NORMAL IDENTIFY VERIFICATION SINCE SSA PREVIOUSLY DID AN IDENTIFY VERIFICATION WHEN YOU FIRST OPENED YOUR SSA ACCT YEARS AGO.    

What I recommend is you do a login to your SSA acct using the SSA User ID method that going away....and closely follow the instructions at the tail end of the successful login where SSA give that notice of the SSA User ID method going away in a few months and they recommend you setup a Login.gov login method right now....click on the link that will take you to Login.gov.  Use your Google Authenticator as the chosen 2FA method.  Logging onto SSA this way will "not"  affect your ability to also login via ID.me; it will just create another way of you to login onto your SSA online acct via the Login.gov.   

And I can't be sure now but I think that SSA notice "implied" to at least me that setting up a SSA login via/thru Login.gov is a limited time offer that will disappear once SSA kills-off the SSA User ID login method in a few months.  After that kill-off the special/easy way to create a basic Login.gov for SSA logon purposes will disappear and then a person would need to create a Login.gov acct the normal way...the full blown identity verification way below they could use Login.gov to log onto their SSA acct...or create a new SSA acct.   

Oh yea, for folks who do not have any SSA online acct but want to open one they would need to first do a full-blown Login.gov or ID.Me identify verification before they could create a SSA online acct with whatever address on Earth they use...foreign or U.S.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2024 at 8:28 AM, BKKKevin said:

I have this T Mobile US number that works/roams in Thailand (And over 200 other countries)

It cost $3 a month to maintain 

I get SMS here in Thailand no problem 

That sounds very similar to the UltraMobile PayGo prepaid option costing $3 (plus 5.5% tax) per month.  The UM sim is available for $13 on eBay.  You will need an accomplice/assistant in the US to receive the sim, install it in a compatible phone and connect to their network.  The accomplice can then mail that sim to you in Thailand.

Once setup is complete you can use WiFi calling/texting for up to 100 minutes (US only) and 100 SMS's per month without further charges.

I use an iPhone XR for my UM sim plus use True service via an e-sim.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2024 at 9:35 AM, Galong said:

Great, thanks!  I've heard that you can't get a phone here in Thailand that will accept US SIM cards. It's that true to your knowledge?

I have a US based UltraMobile physical sim with a US number in my iPhone XR.  It allows me to make/receive phone calls/messages via WiFi.  I cannot use it with any local cellular network unless I want to buy a roaming plan, so I don't.  My local service is from True and is enabled using an e-sim capability.

I specify for each of my contacts which sim is to be used when I call them.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

That sounds very similar to the UltraMobile PayGo prepaid option costing $3 (plus 5.5% tax) per month. 

I have had this for 4 years and it's been working fine.

However, no more!

The problem is there's no registration and no name who owns it.

In January I lost ability to use it for US banks. I called and they told me so - "no owner info available".

Funny thing is that number is listed on all accounts and nobody protested when I opened an account!

Yesterday I tried to create Login,gov but could not. UltraMobile number is showing on my SSA front page but not on the menu "Communications". It shows "no cell phone number provided". Meaning, no security codes nor messages via SMS.

Gotta try to get ID,me when back to the States.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I have had this for 4 years and it's been working fine.

However, no more!

The problem is there's no registration and no name who owns it.

In January I lost ability to use it for US banks. I called and they told me so - "no owner info available".

Funny thing is that number is listed on all accounts and nobody protested when I opened an account!

Yesterday I tried to create Login,gov but could not. UltraMobile number is showing on my SSA front page but not on the menu "Communications". It shows "no cell phone number provided". Meaning, no security codes nor messages via SMS.

Gotta try to get ID,me when back to the States.

Run your UltraMobile phone number through this phone number checking website:

https://www.phonevalidator.com/

Here's what it says about my UltraMobile number:

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 4.16.19 PM.png

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1

Run your UltraMobile phone number through this phone number checking website:

https://www.phonevalidator.com/ "

I did try. Thanks for the link! But no go...

I've tried to hide all tracks to be able to live quiet private life. I've been very good at that...

That web site shows my 15 years old address in N. Hollywood!

That must be the problem now but I don't understand why since the Gov has my latest real address and phone # on the FRONT page!

If I knew when they have "Bring the child to work day" I could call and get it sorted out 🙂

On 6/4/2024 at 9:28 AM, Galong said:

I read that VOIP numbers aren't allowed. I have a Skype US VOIP and it works for a lot of US services, but it didn't work for one bank account that I had. They did some sort of security revamping and it stopped offering them sending VOIP SMS codes.  Luckily, I was going on vacation in the US shortly thereafter. I walked into the bank and closed the account... moved money to Schwalb, but checked with them first about me living in Thailand. They had zero issues and I can get codes on my Thai number. 

This current issue looks tedious at best. 

I ran into this same issue, but I can get text from banks on my Google Voice app.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:30 AM, Galong said:

Thanks for your reply. 🙏 I saw that there were two options and one involved a video interview with a representative. The other was self-service. I'll get my documents in order, photograph them and give it a go.

The user name and pw was already a two-factor authentication as I had to get a code sent to my email. This is not a security improvement from my perspective... it's merely an additional hoop to jump through.  🤷‍♂️

I went through this last month.  No US phone.

Select the video interview and have the requested documents ready.

I logged onto the system and had to wait about 30 minutes.  The timer first said 18-minute wait time, which would reset occasionally.  Have some reading material handy.

Interview was fast and easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2024 at 5:21 PM, connda said:

Guess you'll need to work through SSA in Manila like the rest of us.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/

Have you found the Manila office helpful?

I sent them a message May 08 asking for a list of documents required to apply for benefits.  Got the answer today, June 11.

You will need to contact the US Post if you are outside the US to get the documents needed. The documents will be discussed during the interview. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm having trouble logging into myssa (using id.me and/or login.gov; I use a FIDO key for both).

Online Service Not Available
We're sorry, but the online service you requested isn't available right now. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Service Hours
My Social Security is available during the following service hours (Eastern Time)

Day    Service Hours
Monday - Friday    5:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturday    5:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Sunday    8:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Federal Holidays        Same hours as the day the holiday occurs     

Seems like I should be able to access it now (08:20 BKK time; 21:20 Eastern time)?

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

I'm having trouble logging into myssa (using id.me and/or login.gov; I use a FIDO key for both).

Online Service Not Available
We're sorry, but the online service you requested isn't available right now. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Did you set up a different 2FA? You could try that.  It shouldn't make a difference, but perhaps trying a different browser might help. I've run into this before and did these two things. 

Let us know what works for you if/when you get it sorted.  Good luck. 🤞🤞

5 minutes ago, Galong said:

Did you set up a different 2FA? You could try that.  It shouldn't make a difference, but perhaps trying a different browser might help. I've run into this before and did these two things. 

Tried different browsers.

Doesn't seem like a 2FA issue as I can get into id.me and login.gov.

Just looking to hear if anyone else sees the same message.

• Sad 1