Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

1 hour ago, beammeup said:

So this only affects individuals with income over 1 billion Baht?

That's the 1 billion baht question, and IMHO the OP article simply isn't clear.

I have no idea what they're talking about when they use the term "platforms."

And I can't tell whether the reference to that income level only means that's who their going to seek out info about, OR, that the only group the supposed tax policy will apply to.

It also leaves unaddressed, at the individual taxpayer level, the whole category of all the many countries Thailand has tax treaties with that generally preclude double taxation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AreYouGerman said:

If you didn't pay tax anywhere for it - yes.

The legislation for that  already exists ( it has been said .)

Proposed  new  legislation  suggests  a step up  from that .

What happens for tax exempt at source funds ?

As far as I am concerned income tax on religious orgs.  would offset  government  fund requirements in most countries.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beammeup said:

But she says "This principle taxes individuals based on their residency within the country, irrespective of whether the income is sourced domestically or internationally". So I am a little confused. Will this affect individuals or just platform(whatever that is)?

just like information on the other tax interpretation...we will be notified when (you don't have a need to know yet!) and if or not.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, timendres said:

An article on Bangkok Post clearly shows that they are discussing taxing worldwide income.

Currently, only two countries on the planet do this. The USA and Eritrea.

This is a desperate act by the Thai government, and demonstrates that things are not good.

One difference on the USA taxation - It is for any tax resident earning in the US and for ALL US citizens worldwide.  US IRS would not try to tax Thai earned income on Thai citizens.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Why's that? The US already taxes my worldwide income. If Thailand wants a piece of the pie, their share, per the Double Taxation Agreement, will be a credit against my US taxation. Except for a very few outlier scenarios, there will be no change in my total annual tax bill under this new policy.

There seems to be  some level of  gloating over the probability you will need to spend a percentage of that  non Thai taxable income  in Thailand to prove  you do not need to pay tax  on income already  taxed  at source !

Whoopee the accountancy  brigade !

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

There seems to be  some level of  gloating over the probability you will need to spend a percentage of that  non Thai taxable income  in Thailand to prove  you do not need to pay tax  on income already  taxed  at source !

Whoopee the accountancy  brigade !

Yes the US taxes on worldwide income but if you earn a salary overseas, the US govt allows a deduction on the taxes for that salary if I am not mistaken...Called foreign earned income reduction!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

I know only a handful of countries who don't tax residents (ie. 183 days+ residency) on their worldwide income. It is common - as a resident of a country - that you pay tax on your worldwide income.

"The United States and the East African nation of Eritrea are the only two countries that tax the worldwide income of all citizens and permanent residents regardless of where they live or where they earn money."

https://brighttax.com/blog/citizenship-based-taxation/

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/Citizenship-Based-Taxation-International-Comparison.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Bali it is for part of the year then.

Or remember the Philippines with VIP treatment with territorial tax only for foreigners.

Who are Required to File Income Tax Returns?

Aliens, whether resident or not, receiving income from sources within the Philippines.

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/tax-information/income-tax.html

🥰

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Thanks 1