Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

The population of Thailand is circa 70 million, the Western expat population is about 300k and many of them are on pension income. Why would the Thai media report this, in the bigger picture of things there is hardly any story.

Surely, we must agree that population size is irrelevant, as a big country also has more news outlets. I'm not asking this to be prime-time news on Thai TV. But I see a lot of stories about other tax issues that nobody really cares about, even in English.

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Malaysia has been on a tax grab for about 4 or 5 years already. Started before Covid.

Can you clarify this? I thought Malaysia was still a territorial based tax system, with only remittances subject to tax?

58 minutes ago, fortz said:

Can you clarify this? I thought Malaysia was still a territorial based tax system, with only remittances subject to tax?

Malaysia changed to tax FSI (foreign source income)back in 2022 , it is however exempted thru 2026 if the income has been subject to taxation in county of origin.

I believe capital gains are not taxable in Malaysia.

Edited by tomkenet

28 minutes ago, tomkenet said:

Malaysia changed to tax FSI (foreign source income)back in 2022 , it is however exempted thru 2026 if the income has been subject to taxation in county of origin.

I believe capital gains are not taxable in Malaysia.

Do you have a link to any website where this is explained? According to the link below, FSI is only taxable if it is received in Malaysia.

https://www.taxathand.com/article/28412/Malaysia/2023/Revised-guidelines-issued-on-tax-treatment-of-foreign-source-income

Edited by fortz

1 hour ago, fortz said:

Do you have a link to any website where this is explained? According to the link below, FSI is only taxable if it is received in Malaysia.

https://www.taxathand.com/article/28412/Malaysia/2023/Revised-guidelines-issued-on-tax-treatment-of-foreign-source-income

You're right, it is only taxable if remitted into Malaysia.

This surely makes Malaysia a good asian alternative together with Philippines if the tax-situation in Thailand gets worse.

I assume the income must have been gained in current year or a previous year when you also were a tax resident. (Just like the new rules in Thailand)

Edited by tomkenet

These are the types of discussions we need to be having. Many of us will be leaving Thailand for >180 days for 1 or more years so it is valuable to know which countries in SE asia are tax friendly. I believe Singapore does not tax capital gains. But is expensive and not easy to get long term visa's

Edited by beammeup
  • Agree 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:38 PM, John Drake said:

Is there a time limit for Thai audits. In the US, it is generally 3 years, with some exceptions for 6 years. But after three years, you generally don't need to worry. What about here?

In the US, IRS says it is only necessary to keep copies of your last 5 years of tax forms 

On 6/6/2024 at 8:45 AM, Neeranam said:

Most Thais I know take profits from Binance P2P. There are also people who you can send Bitcoin to and they deliver cash to your door. 

You and I know that.

On 6/14/2024 at 6:36 PM, Eudaimonia said:

I continue to be amazed by how the media operates. Thailand is about to be destroyed as a retirement destination, and many of the country's wealthiest residents are likely to move out if this goes through. Still, reporters have yet to ask for clarifications from the Finance Minister or Prime Minister. Is the Thai language media even reporting this?

Not that I have seen, well nothing to do with foreigners. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, beammeup said:

These are the types of discussions we need to be having. Many of us will be leaving Thailand for >180 days for 1 or more years so it is valuable to know which countries in SE asia are tax friendly. I believe Singapore does not tax capital gains. But is expensive and not easy to get long term visa's

The Philippines is the best choice because it's literally the only country where you don't have to file income tax as a foreigner, resident or not. The other Asian countries all want you to file income tax as minimum requirement (meaning you have to send in documents for starters, what and how many taxes is another issue), however enforcement is another question. Singapore will enforce it for sure, other Asian countries not so sure.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:41 PM, expatsoon said:

I think that was a wise decision as I have read the Government is now talking about revoking the tax free status of LTR visa holders.

Any sources, or things we can read about this?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The main problem with retiring here is no path to permanent residence.

It's way way too early for people to panic about the tax thing.

It could easily turn out to be nothingburger for the vast majority of retired expats.

May well be except every new policy actually enacted has been aimed at reducing long stay for poorer individuals, and opening new visa streams for high net worth or highly educated, entrepreneurial types. 

We'll know in September when we discover the promised outcome of the review into retirement status which surely includes financial requirements. 

2 hours ago, theblether said:

First, you'll be amazed at the number of people who do not anticipate changes. 

Second, it could well be a Black September. The last financial review was devastating to upcoming retirees. 

I don't know what is going to happen. My admittedly off-the-wall prediction is a statutory fee for retirement-style visas. 

It would be a simple tax to collect. People are unaware that the highest tax compliance category is airport tax, with 99.7% collection rates. 

Imposing a higher anual fee for retirees would be simple and many would rather pay than get entwined in the Thai tax reporting system. 

Hope you are right, I would happily pay 10 times for my visa for the potential tax-bureaucracy and burden to go away.

I am sure the RD would also be happy to not have to deal with us. A lot of headache for them too.

Edited by tomkenet
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/15/2024 at 3:10 PM, Presnock said:

In the US, IRS says it is only necessary to keep copies of your last 5 years of tax forms 

I thought I read that Thailand could go back 10 years if they suspected Tax Evasion... IIRC It's 7 years in the UK.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, theblether said:

We'll know in September when we discover the promised outcome of the review into retirement status which surely includes financial requirements.

Can you please tell what we will know in September? Thanks 

I need someone with more knowledge or a better memory than me - from my recollection the last time the conditions were adjusted existing retirees were "grandfathered." That meant that they continued to qualify under the old requirements. 

People who did not have a retirement pension had to qualify under the new regime. 

I don't know what the adjustments will be. I think I can safely say that the financial requirements will not be adjusted downwards. If you are on the edge of applying for a retirement visa get on with it as you may receive a shock when the review is announced. 

More recently, the O-X visa requirements were adjusted to include mandatory insurance. The Thai government gave very little notice of the new requirements and put many people into an impossible position as they could not source legitimate insurance policies due to pre-existing conditions and their age. They did not grandfather those new requirements. 

Will this review be a nothingburger? I doubt it. 

Edited by theblether
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, theblether said:

the last time the conditions were adjusted existing retirees were "grandfathered."

Not all were grandfathered.

Only those who had had continuous visa extensions for 6 years already. 

(I could be wrong about the exact number of years)

49 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Not all were grandfathered.

Only those who had had continuous visa extensions for 6 years already. 

(I could be wrong about the exact number of years)

Fair enough, I did say I needed someone with a better memory than me. 

I did think that the failure to grandfather the O-X visa insurance requirement was brutal - again, from memory, 80,000 people held that type of visa and they got a months notice to obtain insurance. 

One female pal ended up paying $6,000 a year for limited coverage. She tolerated it for a couple of years then repatriated. 

Anyway, my point is that people are getting hot under the collar about the taxation situation. The result of this imminent review could be extraordinarily painful. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, theblether said:

I did think that the failure to grandfather the O-X visa insurance requirement was brutal - again, from memory, 80,000 people held that type of visa and they got a months notice to obtain insurance. 

Don't know where you've gotten this? O-X is a notorious failure and they issued only a handful of them. Definitely not 80,000. And ironically it failed because of the Health insurance, which was one of the initial requirements in addition to the bank deposit of 3M Baht.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Don't know where you've gotten this? O-X is a notorious failure and they issued only a handful of them. Definitely not 80,000. And ironically it failed because of the Health insurance, which was one of the initial requirements in addition to the bank deposit of 3M Baht.

You are correct. O-X failed partly due to the insurance requirement. Remind me of the retirement visa category apply from overseas, was that O-A?