Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

15 hours ago, BE88 said:

You should know Thailand here everything happens wrongly you would not have paid the tax yet because it is complicated to change the rules but not complicated to continue as before🙃

Tell that to the poster that said it was in effect "now"

Too many premature interpretations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Tell that to the poster that said it was in effect "now"

Too many premature interpretations.

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

Wrong. I have just had a package delivered from India by Thai Post without any additional charges. Value was around $45 USD.

My replay was to your India statement not the PO
🙃

54 minutes ago, Robaht said:

Yeah, last year I used Wise to bring money in small increments like 10k baht into my Kasikorn bank and just withdraw from ATMs - worked great! Finally I thought, here is a way to avoid the 220b charge at ATMs and get a great exchange rate. LOL now that would count as funding/revenue/assessable income whatever you want to call it. So I've stopped that and don't even use my Thai bank account.  Now I pay with credit cards wherever I can, use my credit card to withdraw money at ATM - I use the yellow bank and keep the receipts which are labeled "visa credit" so that should be fine, and also bring cash to exchange here in Thailand. I'm not sure what else I could do, maybe get Thai baht out of country say on a "money run" to Malaysia or something!

credit card and ATM transactions all are part of CRS reporting unfortunately

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A breeze only if you pay no taxes in your home country and all your income (or, for current tax year,  income  earned in, or remitted to, Thailand) is assessable.

The current forms will have to be revised to include way to claim credit for foreign taxes paid.

And then there is the very much unresolved question of whether and how to show foreign sourced income that is non-assessable under terms of a DTA. 

I would not at all count on RD staff, especially upcountry, to be familiar with these issues. 

Obviously i can only comment on the current situation and not speculate what may or may not happen in the future, as i have no crystal ball unfortunatly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Well aware of the process. Poster I respondedd to said it was in effect "now".

This refers to the imposition of VAT on small postal packages.  The Thai press was reporting on 4 June that the cabinet had just approved the wording for the announcement and it would be announced in the Royal Gazette and become effective 15 days later.  So far it doesn't appear to have been announced in the Royal Gazette yet.   

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A breeze only if you pay no taxes in your home country and all your income (or, for current tax year,  income  earned in, or remitted to, Thailand) is assessable.

The current forms will have to be revised to include way to claim credit for foreign taxes paid.

And then there is the very much unresolved question of whether and how to show foreign sourced income that is non-assessable under terms of a DTA. 

I would not at all count on RD staff, especially upcountry, to be familiar with these issues. 

But will they revise the forms? There have been DTAs with Thailand for 50 years and a small number of individual taxpayers have been claiming tax credits for decades without any space on the forms, presumably by having to draft a letter to the RD or have a tax lawyer do that.  We half way through the year and no sign of these new forms and any official comment confirming they are working on them.  It is quite possible they will just say, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Wait... multiple sources say "from 2024"

So, If this year I already remitted money that I earned before 2024 (not taxable before the change), before knowing about this new rule, I still have to pay tax on it in 2025 because it's retroactive?

Please tell me I'm wrong or that's completely fked up

15 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

But will they revise the forms? There have been DTAs with Thailand for 50 years and a small number of individual taxpayers have been claiming tax credits for decades without any space on the forms, presumably by having to draft a letter to the RD or have a tax lawyer do that.  We half way through the year and no sign of these new forms and any official comment confirming they are working on them.  It is quite possible they will just say, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

There have been reports that they are revising the forms and with specific mention of adding fields for tax credits.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There have been reports that they are revising the forms and with specific mention of adding fields for tax credits.

I have seen people saying that but I haven't seen a direct quotation from a Revenue Department official confirming that.  Actually they should have done that decades ago when the first DTAs were signed.  Now there is only just over 6 months to go before the 2024 tax returns will be issued and people start filing with them.  So let's hope they get them out in time.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Is it not classed as foreign money coming into Thailand?

This thread is about taxation on worldwide accessible income. The remittance is therefore irrelevant. 

Edited by tomkenet

"by requiring platforms with an income of 1 billion baht or more to report their sources of income."

Mind boggling ideas all over the place ....... again. 

Luckily I earn not quite 1 billion Baht, so that saves me - thank you! 

What about those who ony come to Thailand for 3 months on the "O" non immigrant visa ?

Will they also be taxed on their bank accounts for example in Thailand ?

27 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

"by requiring platforms with an income of 1 billion baht or more to report their sources of income."

Like several others on this thread, you're confusing two different proposals.

One is to tax multi-national corporations a minimum tax - that's where the one billion THB comes into play.

Two is to tax individuals on world-wide income - there is not one billion THB requirement for that to take effect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

What about those who ony come to Thailand for 3 months on the "O" non immigrant visa ?

Will they also be taxed on their bank accounts for example in Thailand ?

To be classified as a Thai tax resident, one must spend 180 days or more in Thailand.  If you don't, then no worries.  

Pretty clearly evident if one bothers to read the thread.  

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I don’t know but I thought the sentence that refers to the 1 billion baht was poorly worded and open to interpretation, but I thought it as more “platforms” like banking or money sending institutions (like Wise or Western Union) with 1 billion baht in transfers would be required to provide a list of who recieved funds, something like that. Probably wrong but …

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

To be classified as a Thai tax resident, one must spend 180 days or more in Thailand.  If you don't, then no worries.  

Pretty clearly evident if one bothers to read the thread.  

On the other hand if a bank wants to take the tax at source from an account, how will they know the account holder is not staying more then the 180 days. Assuming that tax will also be take out from any bank account in the name of a foreigner ?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

On the other hand if a bank wants to take the tax at source from an account, how will they know the account holder is not staying more then the 180 days. Assuming that tax will also be take out from any bank account in the name of a foreigner ?

Then the foreign account holder must file a tax return to claim a refund the following year.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

US capital gains can be offset by capital losses.  Unknown if this applies to thai taxes.  If not, anyone tax loss harvesting will be in for a big surprise.

There's good news and bad news.  No, wait......it's all bad.

Capital gains and investment income earned by a resident from sources outside Thailand are not taxable unless remitted to Thailand in the year of receipt.

Capital losses may not be offset against capital gains.

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/thailand/individual/income-determination

Assume the first sentence is now incorrect, as the remittance system goes away.

The second sentence is a killer.  If you sell stocks or mutual funds for a $50K gain, and you offset this with a $50K loss to lower your US tax bill, you'll still be liable for tax on $50K assessable income in Thailand.

This will add another couple thousand dollars to my annual Thai tax bill!

Amazing!

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Agree 2