Thailand to tax residents’ foreign income irrespective of remittance

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

There are days like today and posts like yours, that make me pause and wonder if any of this is worth the aggravation and effort.

Not really.... no

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes.

I remitted one million baht to Thailand this year. It's my Social Security pension for the last decade or so.

So I don't have to report it.

The funds in your possession prior to this past Jan.1 are already exempted from Thai tax forever (if the Thai gov't is to be relied upon for their past statements).  You can just omit declaring those funds on any future tax filing but of course retain documentation proving your claim in case of audit.

The UK annual tax  free allowance is 12570 UK pounds approximately 585000 baht  i  transfer less than that amount annually to my Thai bank account !  So am I liable for tax with the UK dual tax treaty ? Also I havent worked in the UK for thee years and have no paperwork to prove anything all my money is lifetime savings how do I prove decades of savings never filed a tax return always Been on PAYE  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bugger bognor said:

The UK annual tax  free allowance is 12570 UK pounds approximately 585000 baht  i  transfer less than that amount annually to my Thai bank account !  So am I liable for tax with the UK dual tax treaty ? Also I havent worked in the UK for thee years and have no paperwork to prove anything all my money is lifetime savings how do I prove decades of savings never filed a tax return always Been on PAYE  

Why are you asking, only ****** pay Thai tax, remember,

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

Definitely there is more flexibility on declaring overseas rental income to the RD under the current remittance tax regime but this thread is about the RD's intention to introduce global tax.  That would require you to declare overseas rental income on the same basis as Thai rental income, i.e. file a PND94 in September and a PND90 in March and pay tax twice a year. The basis for tax of property owned by individuals is that you pay tax on 70% of the income.  A deduction of 30% is permitted and, if your expenses and renovations are more than that, you may pay tax on the actual profit but will need to submit audited financial statements audited by a Thai auditor and I doubt that any would accept the job of auditing a foreign rental business. So the tax you pay in the UK is likely wildly different from the tax you pay in Thailand.  If you sell the property in the UK under Thai global tax, it will be taxed as income at your top marginal rate of tax. The current concessions vis a vis UK CGT obviously don't apply.  That means that deduction will be allowed for the time the property may have been your principle private residence.  The stepped up valuation as of 5 April 2015 for overseas owners who qualified for the Non-resident CGT scheme prior to 5 April 2015 will which make a huge difference to hose who have owned UK properties for decades. 

A real problem for those selling up in the UK to move to Thailand will be Thailand's lack of principle private residence exemption from capital gains tax.  Say a British couple sell their house in the UK free of capital gains tax because they lived in it the whole time they owned it.  Then they move to Thailand in the same year as the sale and before July, so they become tax residents.  Under global tax they will pay full Thai income tax on the gain that was 100% exempted in the UK. On the remittance tax basis they will get the same tax hit, if they remit the entire proceeds to Thailand, perhaps to buy property in Thailand.  A great start to life in Thailand for the unwary!  

I thank you for your plaudits but you are jumping to conclusions by saying my experience of Thai tax is limited to corporate taxes.  I have been filing my PND90 online in Thai for over 10 years which I think very few in this thread have done even once. This requires greater knowledge of the Revenue Code than those who go to the RD office and ask an officer to complete their tax return for them.  I also take the documents requested by the RD to the office and, apart from the COVID years, I take the documents requested to the RD office in person, where they open them on the sport and engage in some discussion of my tax return. Last year my Thai wife started to earn enough to be worth doing her tax return separately.  I have also done that for her online and this week will take the requested documents to the RD and discuss her tax return with them.  She is too busy to bother with that herself and, despite being an accountant by training, she has done any work on tax.

You are correct, I had lost sight of the fact this thread discusses worldwide income, my apologies.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That will be the consequence. I stop transfer money to my Bank account in Thailand. My solution is now to send the money to my daughters account. She has Thai and Foreign Passport. She study currently in Europe and is less then 180 days in Thailand. So she is not a Thai Tax resident. My daughter give me then her Thai ATM card and Pin, that then I can take out the money I need to support my Thai family in Thailand. LOL. That I am forced to go this way, is stupid. But TiT.

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Are you ready to be lectured about your tax dodging skillz?

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Depends if his actions are considered avoidence or evasion of tax.

Never heard of tax dodging

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

There are days like today and posts like yours, that make me pause and wonder if any of this is worth the aggravation and effort.

I think you are too harsh Mike. There is value in Celsius' (slightly ironic?) post because IMHO, unless it can be qualified as gift of the daughter supporting her family, it is indeed illegal tax evasion which, however, will probably only be detected if TRD matches ATM drawdowns with stays abroad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Klonko said:

I think you are too harsh Mike. There is value in Celsius' (slightly ironic?) post because IMHO, unless it can be qualified as gift of the daughter supporting her family, it is indeed illegal tax evasion which, however, will probably only be detected if TRD matches ATM drawdowns with stays abroad.

I think that's correct also. My difficulty comes with the posters use of the word lecture, whereas inform is more appropriate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bugger bognor said:

Right, let's start again, shall we.

If you've always paid tax using PAYE, that means that you have a UK tax account but have never had to file a return, because your tax has been adjusted via the PAYE system. But you can still access your tax account and see the payments that you've made, and your earnings, and get access to all kinds of useful and relevant tax information and forms, using the HMRC Government Gateway. I suggest you register for an account and log on and see what data exist, under your name.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services

The Thai Revenue doesn't recognise your UK Personal Allowance, instead, they have their own system of allowance and deductions called TEDA. I know this will pain you to do so but I'm afraid you'll finally have to read the Introduction Thai tax which is linked below, if you want to understand this better. You don't say how old you are so it's not possible to establish the amount of your Thai TEDA but for anyone over aged 65, it's likely to be very comparable to the UK Personal Allowance.

4 hours ago, bugger bognor said:

I'm in the same remittance range as you, ie under my UK personal allowance. In case you haven't already worked it out, in a worse case scenario if you were bringing in £12k at 46/£, were single and under 65 with no other deductable allowances your tax bill would be 26,700 baht - effective rate 4.8%.

I personally can't see a scenario even if I double my remittances where it would benefit me to spend less than 180 days in Thailand. Might be more of a consideration for renters rather than homeowners 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TigerCat said:

Expat Tax Thailand offers a free 15 minute consultation by video or phone call, and they emailed me a frequently asked questions page that they have - I found both to be very helpful.

https://www.expattaxthailand.com/

You can read there pages. Can you call them anonymous or they want before hand your data? If it's the latter, I'd be careful.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

with holding 15% tax on interest is a logical move, making the people reclaim it if they don't owe tax. 

Do banks withhold 15% interest tax on accounts held by Thais?  Wife has four savings accounts and one fixed at three banks, no tax withheld.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good video pretty much sums it all up.

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Very valuable information here, from a professional lawyer in Bangkok. I highly recommend watching this video

The video was the subject of an earlier debate, there is incorrect information in there so be careful. I'll look tomorrow doe that discussion and try to give you the link.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Not so much excited as annoying when some people are unable to distinguish between what is written in law and the throw away lines that are little more than guesses. The problem arises when others read what is written and take the throw away lines as fact.

Amen to that!  even though you provide them with the link so they can read it for themselves...I am not sure I understand where many of these folks are coming from.  Maybe some left their thinking in the laws of their home country.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

You can read there pages. Can you call them anonymous or they want before hand your data? If it's the latter, I'd be careful.

They did not ask for my data before hand.

Edited by TigerCat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TigerCat said:

They did not ask for my data before hand.

You can also call the TRD call center,  the number has been mentioned before,  iirc 1161.

• Haha 1

So apparently with the new destination thailand visa foreign income is exempt from tax. It‘s starting to make a lot of sense on how it works. I feel totally jypped i haven’t even moved and gotten my elite visa stamp yet. 😂 I had a feeling there‘s always a way with Thailand. Might even get that visa to not worry about tax and just use the elite for the airport rides and travel more to max them out so I feel less taken advantage of. It‘s almost certain that there’s not gonna be any sales of the privilege visas and I really hope they don‘t close down. Still want my option to stay for 20 yrs if I like it there.

Edited by Fat Bob
  • Confused 3