Thai couple claim American tenant damaged rented house - video

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And the damage to the house?

The damage to the house was most likely done simply because the foreigner was angry at the owner. knowing he would lose deposit and angry because the owner was doing bad makes people do strange things. I know of many americans who when forced to move out they leave the place trashed or worse, Hide stuff that will stink up or rot hidden in places that can not be accessed easily.  My guess the American had enough. Forced to make a restraining order against the owner. 

It is also plausible that the owner made damage on their own after the man left. Hoping to get more money from the American. 

I had that happen to me on one occasion but i was smart enough to take many photos before leaving the place and the police sided with me. 

The American was not in the wrong to refuse to allow the owner inside. This is within his rights as a renter and the police would support him as well for this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

Perhaps it's time for the American to take the landlord to court for violating Thailand's  Defamation Laws.

Regardless of who is right or wrong in the housing situation, the Thai landlord had certainly publically defamed the tenant. It's a hard way to get back a security deposit, but it's Thailand's law...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd suggest that 50% of all Thai landlords find something wrong to prevent the repayment of the deposit

I tend to agree with that ... it's just what they try to do,  they absolutely hate handing money back.

6 minutes ago, swerve said:

Disagree with you. I have had all of my damage deposits returned for all of the places in Thailand I have rented.  About 10 in total.  Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Phuket locations.  Treat people fairly and you get treated the same way.  

and while you did always get your deposit back, and I did mine ... I was in the same place for 10yrs and no problem at all.  But he did comment 50% of thai landlords, not all .....  so I still agree.   To comment on your last sentence ....   I treated a family of Thais very fairly for years and i wasn't treated the same that's for damn sure.  :giggle:

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

The damage to the house was most likely done simply because the foreigner was angry at the owner. knowing he would lose deposit and angry because the owner was doing bad makes people do strange things. I know of many americans who when forced to move out they leave the place trashed or worse, Hide stuff that will stink up or rot hidden in places that can not be accessed easily. 

so stoners do get angry !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd suggest that 50% of all Thai landlords find something wrong to prevent the repayment of the deposit

I agree; I rented a house for approx one year, watered and cut the grass, fixed any lights that failed, kept the place up, and it was in better condition than when the wife and I first rented it....never saw one baht of deposit. The owner made various excuses as to why we couldn't get it back.

Plus the fridge was sarting to fail a month after we moved in--looked about 10-15 years old, and the owner told us if it failed we'd have to buy a new one. I don't think so! If I did something to cause it to fail no problem, but the damage was done before we moved in. Lesson learned, never again.

5 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

The damage to the house was most likely done simply because the foreigner was angry at the owner. knowing he would lose deposit and angry because the owner was doing bad makes people do strange things. I know of many americans who when forced to move out they leave the place trashed or worse, Hide stuff that will stink up or rot hidden in places that can not be accessed easily.  My guess the American had enough. Forced to make a restraining order against the owner. 

It is also plausible that the owner made damage on their own after the man left. Hoping to get more money from the American. 

I had that happen to me on one occasion but i was smart enough to take many photos before leaving the place and the police sided with me. 

The American was not in the wrong to refuse to allow the owner inside. This is within his rights as a renter and the police would support him as well for this. 

Last sentence; that's not my understanding of the law in several countries including Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Maybe the yank wanted the house to resemble a house back home in Portland,San Francisco etc.

Degenerate behaviour from the septic tank.

There are a lot of very swanky houses in those locations.

• Haha 2

17K electric bill sounds like 16K deposit. Then the vulgare writings and damages likely as a after math of what was a fight outside the house initially.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Last sentence; that's not my understanding of the law in several countries including Thailand.

It is true... The owners can come with the police but if you have a contract then you are within your rights to refuse entry to them. unless you have broken some laws. The actual words the police used for me was that I filed the police report about the owners abusive actions and demands for more money. They said i did not have to allow them entry as it was my condo until the lease expired. They also said should the owner attempt to bring the police with them to forcibly make me allow them entry that all i needed to do was show the police report to the officers at my door. This was in Bangkok so maybe other places the police would act differently. My case was the owner was trying to force me to move out a month early or make me pay an additional month claiming the last months deposit was really a damage deposit. 

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you by any chance one of those Americans?

Somehow, many of them think they are something special, they are Americans! 

CrkUhf4UEAQg_jZ.jpg

Either you are jealous or a tad bit prejudice to Americans. Hmm

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, john donson said:

the landlord has to give a 24 hour warning before wanting to visit

In OZ the real-estate Agent has to give you typical 2 weeks warning if they want to visit for inspection which is every 3 months. Also, the deposit does not get collected by the owner it goes into a government trust fund.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you by any chance one of those Americans?

Somehow, many of them think they are something special, they are Americans! 

CrkUhf4UEAQg_jZ.jpg

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Either you are jealous or a tad bit prejudice to Americans. Hmm

Or perhaps neither and OMF is actually correct. Is that an option?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Or perhaps neither and OMF is actually correct. Is that an option?

Hmm my opinion is that not all people are the same just because they come from the same area or country. So it is an option, but not in this case since his comment is directed at a nationality instead of an individual. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

It is true... The owners can come with the police but if you have a contract then you are within your rights to refuse entry to them. unless you have broken some laws. The actual words the police used for me was that I filed the police report about the owners abusive actions and demands for more money. They said i did not have to allow them entry as it was my condo until the lease expired. They also said should the owner attempt to bring the police with them to forcibly make me allow them entry that all i needed to do was show the police report to the officers at my door. This was in Bangkok so maybe other places the police would act differently. My case was the owner was trying to force me to move out a month early or make me pay an additional month claiming the last months deposit was really a damage deposit. 

Quote from above:

"The owners can come with the police but if you have a contract then you are within your rights to refuse entry to them."

But what landlord would agree to a rental contract which did NOT include mention of; periodic inspections / 3 monthly inspections / monthly inspections etc? I've rented houses previously (in Thailand and in Australia). I always checked that the rental agreement mentioned inspections.

I can't imagine and landlord would sign a rental agreement which didn't mention regular inspections.