How and where to find an 'agent' outside big cities?

I have had annual 'marriage' extensions 11 times without much trouble (all fine if you just give the IO what they require) and would not dream of using an agent as spruiked by many on this forum.

However, a mate is soon to try for his second extension and because they are moving to a new house, he's stretched and won't make the '400k for 2 months' criterium this time

(as I have said on another thread, he can't sign up to this forum to ask, because apparently he doesn't know the capital of Thailand – the 'security question' on the application. Seems it's not Bangkok, folks)

So I'm asking for him about the feasibility, cost and logistics of finding and using an agent this time. It's grey-area illegal, I think, but is it hugely expensive? And how does he find one – outside the main cities (I think his new province is Nakhon Sawan). (We know about the Savannakhet option, but that's not a good choice for him)

We are not asking about the rights and wrongs, just the practicalities for this occasion, so anything useful will be passed on, (as would any update on the capital of Thailand…..) Ta in advance.

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

I have had annual 'marriage' extensions 11 times without much trouble (all fine if you just give the IO what they require) and would not dream of using an agent as spruiked by many on this forum.

However, a mate is soon to try for his second extension and because they are moving to a new house, he's stretched and won't make the '400k for 2 months' criterium this time

(as I have said on another thread, he can't sign up to this forum to ask, because apparently he doesn't know the capital of Thailand – the 'security question' on the application. Seems it's not Bangkok, folks)

So I'm asking for him about the feasibility, cost and logistics of finding and using an agent this time. It's grey-area illegal, I think, but is it hugely expensive? And how does he find one – outside the main cities (I think his new province is Nakhon Sawan). (We know about the Savannakhet option, but that's not a good choice for him)

We are not asking about the rights and wrongs, just the practicalities for this occasion, so anything useful will be passed on, (as would any update on the capital of Thailand…..) Ta in advance.

Can you not lend him 400k for a couple of months? 555

• Haha 2

I am sure an easy way to find those agents are in the places where you need them. I.e. if you need an agent for immigration, go there and look at the guys who are first in the row and who advice their clients what to do.

They are normally easy to spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can you not lend him 400k for a couple of months? 555

would if I could, which is how the topic arose! It's actually 3 months not two, if you're being safe.

Edited by isaanistical
add
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, isaanistical said:

would if I could, which is how the topic arose! It's actually 3 months not two, if you're being safe.

Send me all his bank details and I'll see what I can do ! 555

• Haha 1

We all know it's legal for an officer to ignore the financials, just offer one a bribe himself, why go through an agent if it's legal? Marriage extensions seem to more more difficult for agents to get done, for obvious reasons.

10 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

early 50s. Does age have any relevance (assume so because you ask, but it's not a retirement issue).

He stated the friend is short of funds.

You mentioned agent...

Any agent will only do hand holding for extension based on marriage.

They can avoid the financial requirements if extension is based on retirement.

Regarding funds for marriage extension and being short, he could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife and use the extra time to season the 400k 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He stated the friend is short of funds.

You mentioned agent...

Any agent will only do hand holding for extension based on marriage.

They can avoid the financial requirements if extension is based on retirement.

Regarding funds for marriage extension and being short, he could obtain 60 day extension to visit wife and use the extra time to season the 400k 

Ah, that's interesting - I had naively assumed that in either instance (retirement or marriage) agents 'loan' the needed 400 or 800K or fudge it somehow - that's just how I always read it. If what you say is true, then my mate is barking up the wrong tree.

Of course the 60-day thing may, or may well not, materialise before his deadline.....

On 6/8/2024 at 3:15 PM, proton said:

We all know it's legal for an officer to ignore the financials, just offer one a bribe himself, why go through an agent if it's legal?

Because not All IOs will do this, and you could get into trouble costing far more than an agent-fee.

On 6/8/2024 at 3:15 PM, proton said:

Marriage extensions seem to more more difficult for agents to get done, for obvious reasons.

Yes, because it requires additional "fees" for the sign-off by the IO in the district-office, which marriage-based Non-O extensions require - but retirement-based do not. 

In the past, this is why an agent-assisted money "fixed" retirement-based Non-O extension cost 25K Baht in Bangkok, but the same thing for marriage-based Non-O cost 35K Baht, and the latter was only available from a smaller group of agents (with the needed connection). 

Do the math to see how much that guy makes per sign-off - a nice little earner.

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2024 at 2:43 PM, isaanistical said:

... using an agent this time ... how does he find one – outside the main cities (I think his new province is Nakhon Sawan).

To do it based on marriage (if under 50 years old), he would need to find an agent who has "connections" with the district-office that oversees his extensions - because the district-office must sign-off on the extension.   I would contact agents in the city where the district-office is located. 

The other factor is whether or not his local-office will do "assisted" extensions.  The HONEST ones, who do NOT do agent-processed extensions, are put through the ringer by the district-office as punishment.  This could rule-out using that office at all.  Only the agent can answer this question.

The OP might need to rent an apartment in the city of the district-office, and use that as his address for the agent-assisted extension for the Immigration office where the agent works.   As his extension is agent-assisted, the home-visits, and other harsh scrutiny, are skipped.  These are ONLY done to honest applicants, to punish them for not paying agent-money.