"If aircon 25 it will bomb."

8 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i always say its easy to spot the new arrivals as they are sweating like a rich falang in a karaoke bar...

Hell, I can sweat in a blizzard in winter.  Just genetic, I guess.  My Russkie grandfather and my very American father (of Russkie lineage) were the same. 

That's why I usually wear loud print shirts in public.  They don't show the sweat as much.  I love Songkran shirts for that reason.  And I always got complimented on them back in Texas. 

Back when we were dressed in black to honor the beloved King, my black shirts were always gray at the end of the day from all the salt from sweat.  That's after I'd been working in BKK for years.

Regarding A/C, I just kept mine a few degrees below ambient to knock out the humidity and keep the place from getting musty.  That said, living on the top floor of my Asoke area building, my electricity bill was still pretty high.  But well worth it for the gorgeous view from the 5th floor.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That must be a really old building. I didn't think there are any buildings under 15 floors in that area.

That was one of the great things.  My living room also looked out over a private, very expensive looking mooban where all the homes were 2-3 story with banana and palm trees.  (And a gate to keep out the riff raff like me).  I have quite a few dawn to dusk timelapse videos from my balcony.  The same landlord also owned 2-3 other buildings on the block and I suspect they'll all get torn down when the real estate gets too valuable.  Though street access will become a problem if the density increases.  It's already strained.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Love the heat and hot sun ...    when I'm outside ... and I always walk on the sunnyside of the street

In the house ..   I want it cool ..  that's why I bought AC units ...

I run a 36k unit in my kitchen ( 56sqm @ 3m height )   set to 21       and the same size unit in my living room  53sqm @ 3m height also on 21

night time bedroom 18k unit set to 21  same for bed #2 ( when occupied )  also doubles as my office 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

As for downstairs she won't let me turn it on.

Does "she" pay the electric bill?

I look at an a/c similar to a fridge, do you turn off your fridge at night?

I keep mine on 24/7 and it uses very little electricity, never had a bill over 2500!  35 sq. mt. condo.

I suppose the thinking behind this is IF you shut the a/c for a number of hours, the room(s) obviously get quite hot, and when you turn it on, the compressor stays on for a very long time (that is what uses max. elec., not the fan part of the a/c) to bring the temp down, therefore negating the benefit of turning it off in the first place.

I may be wrong, but it works for me.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I set my ACs to whatever I like, daytime mostly about 25 degrees, at night in the bedroom sometimes to 22 - it's nice to cuddle under the blanket.

Obviously running the ACs cost money. But how much, relative to all the other expenses? One night going out is easily half my AC bill - without intensive care treatment. So, what's the point of looking at every degree when at the end of the month I don't see a difference of my overall expenses. 

Yeah all the AC's in my house run at 25degs 24/7.

Only time they get turned off is for cleaning every 3 months.

Impact on leccy bill is meh... i drink more on any given weekend !

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I set my ACs to whatever I like, daytime mostly about 25 degrees, at night in the bedroom sometimes to 22

Pretty much exactly the same.

Electricity is cheap here. Heat pumps are pretty efficient. No reason not to be as comfortable as possible.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Hell, I can sweat in a blizzard in winter.  Just genetic, I guess.  My Russkie grandfather and my very American father (of Russkie lineage) were the same. 

That's why I usually wear loud print shirts in public.  They don't show the sweat as much.  I love Songkran shirts for that reason.  And I always got complimented on them back in Texas. 

Back when we were dressed in black to honor the beloved King, my black shirts were always gray at the end of the day from all the salt from sweat.  That's after I'd been working in BKK for years.

Regarding A/C, I just kept mine a few degrees below ambient to knock out the humidity and keep the place from getting musty.  That said, living on the top floor of my Asoke area building, my electricity bill was still pretty high.  But well worth it for the gorgeous view from the 5th floor.

Same here....   My AC is currently set to 22 in the living room. 

The Bedroom is set to 23 (Wife wants that temperature). 

I've never acclimatised here...   I can be out all day in the heat... but come back, shower and want the comfortable temperatures. 

I play football in the heat - no major issues (pool with sweat though)....    I walk to 7-11 and I have sweat rolling off my face...    I sweat in -15 Dec C bombing down the side of a mountain......

As you mentioned, the body getting this warm and needing to dispel heat (sweating) must be genetic. 

One option for the house - I'm wondering if a dehumidifier may help more, so I don't need to turn the AC so low.

• Confused 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, FolkGuitar said:

If we turn it on at all, the A/C is never set below 28, usually 29 or 30. Otherwise, we prefer windows open and fans on. We're quite comfortable with that. I guess we've been here long enough to become acclimatized.

Sure, we do sweat at times. So what?

Dont have AC at home, we just use fans.  However if the temp is going to keep rising each year like it has we might install next year.   When and if that happens it will be roughly the same as you above which is how we do have the AC set when we stay in hotels.  25 is international std I believe but far too cold for us, 27 to 29 is perfect for us.

When it comes to car a/c we have to turn it off when we go over a bit of water, otherwise apparently it will suck the water up into the engine, she says!

Edited by proton
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:37 PM, Chris Daley said:

After the usual fake ajarn + fake science combo on the news and women's daytime shows (because women are the most naive of the population) has anyone else had a constant battle trying to keep the house cool?

I have to admit seeing the immigration officers sweating at cheang wattana made me smile.  They have turned off the aircon to the entire building.  But at home it is getting annoying.  We now have a new rule at night "do not put aircon below 27 cuz it will bomb". As for downstairs she won't let me turn it on.  Fans only.  The slime at work wack it up to 29 and low fan.  Some classrooms turn off the aircon and open the door.  The heat is unbarable.  I feel dizzy when teaching and I am visably sweating.

How about you?  Do you think women that turn aircons off should wear blue hats? So we can spot them and avoid them?

Since no-one really said it.. I will... Thais have a strong belief that children learn better in the hot. They will argue this point with you even though we foreigners know the heat drains your energy and makes your brain slow down.. I worked at several really good schools in Thailand and was always told this when I asked. Also, they use the excuse that kids are more susceptible to getting sick in a closed with with circulating air-conditioning. . Personally, I know really the schools were only trying to save money on their electric bills

• Like 1

On the subject of AC and costs, do any of you have sound knowledge and experience of Inverter AC's as compared to 'regular' AC's? My AC guy is constantly trying to convince me that Inverter AC's are cheaper to run and I should switch over to them (buying off him of course....mmmm). The limited research I've done is lacking in hard data (locally anyhow) on cost savings, and there are caveats about having to run the Inverter AC's at least 8 hrs a day to benefit in savings. Apparently the only difference is the external unit fan function is 'smart' meaning it modulates better than the old models. I find it hard to believe a simple fan motor could make much difference to the running costs.

By the way, before I came to Asia an Inverter AC meant one which could be run in reverse (reversible) in winter to blow Hot air instead of cold. I think they are sometimes also called Inverter AC's, or nowadays 'heat pumps'?

On 6/9/2024 at 3:37 AM, Chris Daley said:

After the usual fake ajarn + fake science combo on the news and women's daytime shows (because women are the most naive of the population) has anyone else had a constant battle trying to keep the house cool?

I have to admit seeing the immigration officers sweating at cheang wattana made me smile.  They have turned off the aircon to the entire building.  But at home it is getting annoying.  We now have a new rule at night "do not put aircon below 27 cuz it will bomb". As for downstairs she won't let me turn it on.  Fans only.  The slime at work wack it up to 29 and low fan.  Some classrooms turn off the aircon and open the door.  The heat is unbarable.  I feel dizzy when teaching and I am visably sweating.

How about you?  Do you think women that turn aircons off should wear blue hats? So we can spot them and avoid them?

Do you really hate Thailand?? or are you one of those guys that complain all the time about everything?

Maybe you should look to move to alaska, nice and cool there and I dont think there are any Thai's there to upset you. 

On 6/9/2024 at 3:44 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I set my ACs to whatever I like, daytime mostly about 25 degrees, at night in the bedroom sometimes to 22 - it's nice to cuddle under the blanket.

Obviously running the ACs cost money. But how much, relative to all the other expenses? One night going out is easily half my AC bill - without intensive care treatment. So, what's the point of looking at every degree when at the end of the month I don't see a difference of my overall expenses. 

23 C with a fan during the nights for the bedrooms.  Open windows during the day, usually outside anyways working around the house.