Spitting mad: Russian tourist’s traffic light tantrum in Phuket

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

A Russian tourist with a Thai lawyer at hand. Got to be a crim. Plus, who's in the picture if he had already left Thailand??????

Just an AI photo with nothing to do with the actual event again?

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, PJPom said:

He will be back in September !!  Obviously not worried about any penalties or problems with his entry visa. I thought someone said bad guys out  5555.

Let him in long enough to pay the fines, be put on the blacklist and then send him home  

• Like 1

Deport him Putin can send him to the front line see how brave he is then ! This is the problem when you hand out visa free entry to the Ruskies there invading Thailand by the 1,000s and it’s only going to get worse 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Captor said:

Tha lawyer look not Thai. Is he allowed to work in Thailand as he takes a Thais job?

No a foreign lawyer can only act as a consultant he has to have a Thai lawyer partner as only a Thai can represent an individual in a Thai court of law  however they still charge extortionate fees  that’s why I only use Thai lawyers who speak good English or employ an English speaking employee 

19 hours ago, JoePai said:

Just a dumb Russian who doesn't know how to drive

Stop favouring  russian Putinoids in Thailand by givning them a preferential treatment over  other foreign tourists and expats ( 3 month visa free stay and overstay, money laundering, prostitution ,illegal work without a permit, disgusting social behavior , disrespect of Thai culture etc)  . Alll that creates lots of problems for Thai society and the Thai top destinations image is already at risk from mass puti-Russians tourism to Thailand

Deport such jerks back to Putistan!  Support Ukraine and condemn  fascist invasion  of dictator Putin’s army into that country!  

Restrict mass tourism from Russia to Thailand and join economic sanctions of the world community against that country breaking international law!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I think for me one of the frustrations is how a lot of drivers don't know how to merge into traffic properly. 

If you pull out into the flow of traffic then you should quickly get up to the same speed as that flow. Yet here it's like a geriatric on a mobility scooter. 

Some idiot pulls out and expects the flow to slow down to their snail pace.  This in turn backs up. 

OK... rant over.  Russian guy was/is an idiot. 

Though off-topic from the post, so true. One of several frustrating driving habits we must learn to live with, or go mad.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Always be careful what you wish for. The "Bangkok Brain Trust"  (BBT) saw $$$ signs in their eyes when Russians fled the Ukraine war so they rolled out the red carpet to get them here. They might have done some basic research first but making decisions after doing due diligence doesn't seem to translate into Thai.   You don't need to consult MI6 or the CIA to confirm that out of 180 countries, Russia ranks 141 on the world corruption index (transparency.org). BTW, visit Transparenct.org and see when your country and Thailand ranks on the "World Corruption Index". Criminality is the norm in Russia. Sure, there are lots of very normal Russian families trying to flee their dictator's arbitrary invasion of their neighbor. However, one might conclude that there would be lots of Russian Mafia too boot.   

I have some news for the BBT ( Bangkok Brain Trust). If you sleep with dogs, you will get fleas.

Here is another suggestion for ASEAN NOW. Why don't you make a special heading for your news missives called

"The Russian Crime Report".

I file all of the news like this in my "RFL File". ....."Reasons For Leaving". I have lived here for 15 years. I am not going to abandon a country that I love completely but starting this year, I will spend about 50% of my time outside of the Land of Smiles. 

Same goes for the Brits in TH. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sig said:

What is wrong with people!? Can't even wait to see if maybe a person's car has mechanical issues and can't move, even if they wanted. As if horn honking spasmodic yelling will help their car move? If they needed to be woken up or have their attention brought back to the road... a light little beep on the horn should suffice. People let themselves get stressed out by the most inane things! Lots of mental problems out there. If someone is honking incessantly or yelling at you on the road, stay away from them. They are obviously mentally unbalanced, as there is zero need to behave that way, EVER.

No mechanical issues these days with cars. Either incompetent driving, or, more likely, mobile phone use when the light had already turned green and she hadn't moved.

In general, Thais might be able to move a car, but certainly not drive a car. The evidence is there to see every day, also look at how locals obtain driving licences. So maybe, just maybe, the Russian had a point. That does not excuse his conduct , though. 

A 'little beep on the horn' is the worst suggestion you could make as it might really provoke a Thai driver. Honking is not appreciated in TH.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Arrest that fake mob lawyer 

What an ignorant comment. All we know is that the article mentions him to be a lawyer. You should know better what to believe as to the accuracy in articles in Thai media, especially the nlost-in-translation bit.

Maybe this person is a friend fo the Russian driver, is liaising between the driver and the police, but certainly not acting in an official capacity as a lawyer. 

You know nothing but feel compelled to spout such an outright stupid comment based on what you've read. You should know better. You should be sued for defamation for calling the person 'fake' and associate and idntify him with the 'mob'.

I'm still confused at the beginning of the story that a Thai woman stopped at a red light....what is this world coming to! 

• Like 1

Are you sure the Thai couple didn't curse or provoke him?

When I am talking to you and I move my hands it doesn't mean that I am going to hurt you.

You thought that I m.a.y curse you (do you also know Russian?) or I am going to slap or rape you but the reality is different.Anyway respect to Russians because after Chinese "investors" the Russian is the bigger investors.....particularly in Real Estate Market....

Well come to West paradise to see what is the reality on streets .....Russia is in European territory or Europeans are to Russia territory......like Switzerland or Scandinavian countries ,Poland,Albania,Romania,Bulgaria,Liechtenstein ,Monaco micro States which do not belong in Europe.

Edited by Paris333
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Umlungu said:

A 'little beep on the horn' is the worst suggestion you could make as it might really provoke a Thai driver. Honking is not appreciated in TH.

flash the lights at someone at green light looking at their phone,  a couple of times.   Honking not usual in Phuket.  People too much is a rush....bad driving and rude.  What is the hurry?    Big Bikes should be banned.   

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Sad 1

Arrest him when he comes back. Send him to jail for 2 yrs or back to russia.

No respect for any other persons as it starts with vulgarities, spitting , progresses to fighting and ends up on drunk driving and killings.

Screwed up population, 50% drunk 90% of the time and driving. Believe you me: worked there for 7yrs almost...never again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

When I am talking to you and I move my hands it doesn't mean that I am going to hurt you.

You thought that I m.a.y curse you (do you also know Russian?) or I am going to slap or rape you but the reality is different.Anyway respect to Russians because after Chinese "investors" the Russian is the bigger investors.....particularly in Real Estate Market....

Well come to West paradise to see what is the reality on streets .....Russia is in European territory or Europeans are to Russia territory......like Switzerland or Scandinavian countries ,Poland,Albania,Romania,Bulgaria,Liechtenstein ,Monaco micro States which do not belong in Europe.

so you are advocating ass kissing and wait and see where that will get you ................  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

He pulled up to the right of her ( facing oncoming traffic ? ) then lowered his window and tapped on her window ? Long arms , especially if her hubby was driving. Only makes sense of the Russian pulled up on the left not right.

Read the article she was not driving she was in the front passenger seat. i.e. Her husband  Boonyong  was driving and he chased after the car. The Russian pulled up on the left tapped on her window and when she wound it down he assaulted her.

3 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I'm still confused at the beginning of the story that a Thai woman stopped at a red light....what is this world coming to! 

She wasn't driving she was in the passenger seat

On 6/10/2024 at 10:13 AM, snoop1130 said:

Phatchareeya’s lane was for vehicles turning right and had to wait for a separate traffic light.

But did she really have to wait?  In no way am I supporting the Russian guy's actions - let's be clear on that. I also don't know how the subject lights function. However I have often come across possibly the same situation at a traffic lights in Pak Chong.  I doubt that Thailand's rules are any different on this but at this particular set of lights, I don't think many Thai drivers know how to handle them. 

There is a right hand turning lane and a 'filter' light controlling it. When the main lights turn to green ALL the red lights go out, including the one on the right filter lane. The green light for that lane though, doesn't come on until the main lights turn red again.  Therefore, even though there is no green filter light, the red light has gone out and providing there is no oncoming traffic, its fine to turn right.  If it wasn't, the filter light would remain red.

Many drivers sit there waiting until the green filter light comes on - despite the fact that there is no oncoming traffic and the filter light is out.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, Paris333 said:

Anyway respect to Russians because after Chinese "investors" the Russian is the bigger investors.....particularly in Real Estate Market....

I fail to understand what Russian investment in the Thai property market has to do with traffic matters or human behaviour. Baffled!

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Read the article she was not driving she was in the front passenger seat. i.e. Her husband  Boonyong  was driving and he chased after the car. The Russian pulled up on the left tapped on her window and when she wound it down he assaulted her.

Thank you. Exactly what I said.

3 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Oh its blame the victim time is it? 

You don't need to understand any language when someone spits on you

• Like 1
  • Agree 1