Thai commando takes taxi driver for a ride after fare fraud fiasco

snoop1130

53 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Absolute corruption.

But when there is a vested campaign to promote tourism, and tourism's huge financial draw - why then let one of the main faces of tourism just run rampant ? 

When a tourist arrives in Thailand, it's the first impression he gets. Get out the airport and you meet a taxi driver trying it on. 

What initiatives have the authorities tried ?

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

But when there is a vested campaign to promote tourism, and tourism's huge financial draw - why then let one of the main faces of tourism just run rampant ? 

When a tourist arrives in Thailand, it's the first impression he gets. Get out the airport and you meet a taxi driver trying it on. 

Not exclusive to Thailand - London cabbies have been known to drive around for a while bumping up the fare before dropping first time visitors to their hotels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Taxi drivers in Thailand is a problem that is never tackled. Why not?

I was in Shanghai last week, and all taxi drivers have to have a camera installed in them. That way if a tourist has issues, reports a meter not being turned on, or driver refusing a fare - they have all the evidence there. If they turn the camera off or it is not on, they get in bigger trouble. 

That would be an easy solution.

I am sick of getting into taxis in Bangkok, and they tell me 'no meter'. Or refuse a fare, which they're not meant to. 

The latest issue i have with them is driving into traffic, to push up that fare. Last two weeks i have asked the driver why he turned into this wall of traffic. Fare inflated by 100 baht, but more importantly wastes my time. 

Sick of Grab too, as it's expensive in Bangkok. 

Robot taxis coming soon.  Taxi mafia and taxi drivers are all headed back to the farm.  Yeah!!!!!!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

Yep... one would think that elusive, seemingly nonexistent in Thailand, concept known as logic would bring about some change here.
But... initiatives? lol  --> TIT