Cost of having a house built?

There will be very few people on this forum that have information about which there is little known specifications that doesn't even speak of foundations and a house plot size; in addition to which if such a thing was relating to current economic conditions.

No builder worth his salt should be building houses with no proper drawings!

Look at some newish houses around and if you like them somewhat, ask who built them and get them along to get a quote.

But you will need to be a lot more specific about what you want,

As someone said: insist on labour and materials issues to be quoted separately, not to mention a timescale, all of which requires a binding contract between you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gottsy said:

Does anyone have any ideas of Housebuilding prices?

I built mine ฿12000/sqm , but I did many things by myself, all plumbing, electrical and some tiling. And it depends on material quality/price. I don't think it will cost you less than 15000/sqm by a builder (I did not hire any builder), even more. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Gottsy said:

My Thai wife (of 35 years) Has been offered her uncles house (well more of a large shed really) 60 miles NW of Bangkok, and a large piece of land around it.

Our idea is to demolish the hovel on it and have a medium sized house, mayb 2 or 3 bedrooms, shower etc.

It's like how long a piece of rubber string is. However, for a Thai-style/quality house you can count somewhere between 15,000 baht to 25,000 baht per square meter as a reasonable figure to count with, more like ly 25,00,0 than 15,000.

What makes huge changes in construction costs are materials and finish. If you for example choose aerated cement  blocks, which give you a better heat insulation, instead of the cheap normally used block, the material cost is around three for times as high. Furthermore, if you choose double walls, so you have no visible posts inside or outside, you almost double the constructions cost of wall filling between posts and beams. But in return you get a much better house climate and saves a lot in running aircon costs, which in long term might be a financially benefit.

Using water-proof concrete all over increases also a bit in material price, but you won't get cracks in posts, beams and decks, and same if also use water proof additive in wall plaster, then you avoid bad looking crack-fillings.

A good water resistant roof can cost 50 % or more, however you might not get problems with leaks and it therefore being worth the money. I used SCG/HomeMart's Roof Centre. They gives you a complete quote including galvanised steel construction and five years warranty on leaks – SCG is likely there five years later, you cannot be sure to find a local building constructor later, if you roof leaks. It might be a good investment to spend little more on the roof construction, which also reduces running aircon costs, if it's proper heat insulated. I used a tile called NeuStyle, which has double water rail protection and no cement of the roof – cement can crack and roof thereby leak.

Windows and doors are also worth considering, cheap wooden doors might easily get out of shape and cannot close/open du8e to weather conditions – i.e. too dry or too wet – while a more costly hard wood-door still works. Plastic for inner doors is an alternative option, if it's about cost price; while aluminium, or vinyl with metal frame inside, are good options for outer windows and doors.

Finishing can be extremely costly – might be the major difference between an affordable house and luxury, as the basic concrete construction can be the same – if you choose sandstone floor tiles it will cost you 10 times as much as a good, both looking and quality, more normal floor tile; and 20 times more than a cheap floor tile. Same for wall tiles – marble costs – and all equipment. There can be a huge price difference between a Thai-style kitchen and a European-style kitchen; the Thai-style might even last better – and termites don't eat plastic cupboards...:whistling:

If you build very Thai life-style quality, you might still be able to have something made for around 10,000 baht per square meter, while building luxury can cost you 100,000 baht or more per square meter.

Some places/times you can get a quote for only the labour – after having complete detailed architect drawings – and then you buy all materials yourself. This requires that you – or a trusted representative – is there; it can be a full time job to buy materials. However, the benefit is that you a in full control of the material quality in your new house, where a total building construction offer might have short cuts; it might look perfect, when it's completed, but it might not last.

Think for example of paint – primer and finish – some new buildings look awful after a few years, others (like mine) look still like new paint after 15 years. My next door neighbour built an expensive luxury house same time as mine – he had a total construction price, I had a part price and bought paint and all finishing materials and labour for same by myself – his building constructor used the cheapest paint and it lasted less than two year; they have been repainted the house twice, and it still looks bad. Also the roof started to leak within the first year, made them end up with building constructor's silicone repairs; after less than 10 years – and nasty internal water damages – a new roof was put on.

I am surprised that many people here seem to recommend cheap and cheap.

Do you really want to live in a cheap place where you can be pretty sure that it won't take long before you have problems here and there?

I.e. just the electric, do you want the cheapest made by Somchai installation? Or do you want earth everywhere, a decent breaker box, RCCBs and all that?

I think anybody who wants something build needs to learn a lot about a lot of things. Only with that knowledge will you be able to select a competent builder, make decisions about materials, etc. An alternative is if you have someone you can really trust and you know that someone knows a lot about construction. But then, if you would know such a person, they you wouldn't ask in this forum.

Doing something cheap is a sure way to complain for the next years and think why you didn't insist on quality when you built it.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am surprised that many people here seem to recommend cheap and cheap.

Do you really want to live in a cheap place where you can be pretty sure that it won't take long before you have problems here and there?

I.e. just the electric, do you want the cheapest made by Somchai installation? Or do you want earth everywhere, a decent breaker box, RCCBs and all that?

I think anybody who wants something build needs to learn a lot about a lot of things. Only with that knowledge will you be able to select a competent builder, make decisions about materials, etc. An alternative is if you have someone you can really trust and you know that someone knows a lot about construction. But then, if you would know such a person, they you wouldn't ask in this forum.

Doing something cheap is a sure way to complain for the next years and think why you didn't insist on quality when you built it.

First I do not own the land!

Second how long do I want to live there?

Third building western quality in Thailand is quite hard, and expensive, especially in a remote village. 

To many challenges to mention, but it is a naightmare just to make sure they understand what you want, and get it how you want it. 

When building, everything had to go through my then gf, created alot of stress, tention and headache for both of us

To me it is a small farm where to most important is the place I sleep, kitchen and outside space! Everything else, as long it is standing, keeping us dry and tempered and mosquito free, Im happy. There is no difference between building cheap or expensive, it is just the estetic and feeling about it. Nothing else. 

The only thing Im missing is a larger gym from 36m2 to around 60m2, then I can have my heavy bag inside in aircondition room, instead of outside. Solar power will be necessery to !

• Confused 1

About 5 years ago I built a 150sm house, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, big living room, inside modern kitchen, good materials (could have been better, but still good) all for about 1.25 million thb.

The contractor gave. me a quote for labor only, I got the materials myself - he pointed to several places where I could get what needed, I did the running around to choose what I want, compare prices and negotiate with suppliers. That is in the North, in a small village. I'm happy with the house and workmanship.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

Next thing you tell us is a car is just a car, maybe the Benz looks better than the Kia, but otherwise they are the same. No! They are not the same. There are huge differences for cars, houses and basically anything else. And often you get what you pay for.

Misunderstand me correct, but you can build well for cheap money, or you can build a dissaster for expensive money! We are talking about Isaan with local workers, who know how to build houses like they have done for decades. 

Your choice

Comparing a farm with a car? On a farm you need a Kuboto tractor not a Mercedes. A mercedes is a waste of money up there. 

Would I have built like that in Hua Hin? Of course not, I would  build for the marked I most likely would sell it to, same in Isaan, you have to look where your buyers most likely would come from, and the price you most likely would get back on it. Soon the land will be more worth the buildings, and thats a comfort. 

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

There will be very few people on this forum that have information about which there is little known specifications that doesn't even speak of foundations and a house plot size; in addition to which if such a thing was relating to current economic conditions.

No builder worth his salt should be building houses with no proper drawings!

Look at some newish houses around and if you like them somewhat, ask who built them and get them along to get a quote.

But you will need to be a lot more specific about what you want,

As someone said: insist on labour and materials issues to be quoted separately, not to mention a timescale, all of which requires a binding contract between you.

I would like to add that you might like to engage a Qualified Surveyor to establish potential building complications such as land subsidence or subject to flooding; many houses in Thailand are built on "stilts" to avoid major indoor flooding, particularly in the wet season and or near water sources!

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Misunderstand me correct, but you can build well for cheap money, or you can build a dissaster for expensive money! We are talking about Isaan with local workers, who know how to build houses like they have done for decades. 

Your choice

Comparing a farm with a car? On a farm you need a Kuboto tractor not a Mercedes. A mercedes is a waste of money up there. 

Would I have built like that in Hua Hin? Of course not, I would  build for the marked I most likely would sell it to, same in Isaan, you have to look where your buyers most likely would come from, and the price you most likely would get back on it. Soon the land will be more worth the buildings, and thats a comfort. 

Ok, I get your point.

But at least for me I would think about how I like to live. It's nice to be able to sell a house for a reasonable price. But it's also nice to live, possibly for many years, in a nice house. When I look at the houses from my gf sister and father up country then I have to say: I wouldn't want to live in a house like that.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I get your point.

But at least for me I would think about how I like to live. It's nice to be able to sell a house for a reasonable price. But it's also nice to live, possibly for many years, in a nice house. When I look at the houses from my gf sister and father up country then I have to say: I wouldn't want to live in a house like that.

I can asure you, the standard living we have in Isaan is decent and not alike those pics you might have or not about Isaan living. Just not any fancy high cost materials, or fancy architecture, or imported granite tiles. 

On 6/12/2024 at 7:55 PM, Gottsy said:

My Thai wife (of 35 years) Has been offered her uncles house (well more of a large shed really) 60 miles NW of Bangkok, and a large piece of land around it.

Our idea is to demolish the hovel on it and have a medium sized house, mayb 2 or 3 bedrooms, shower etc.

I had a bungalow built 2 years ago 120 sq m, 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and toilet come shower total cost then was 965000 baht. Friends of the girlfriends did the same thing (similar build) a year ago and the price was 1150000. I would say you are probably looking at anything between 1100000 and 1350000 depending on materials. One tip I would give you is do not let the builder know you are a foreigner as those prices will likely change and not for the better either.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, itsari said:

12000 baht a square meter would be a basic Thai style home.

20 to 25000 will give you a more western standard home.

What ever quality of house you decide on I recommend using hardwood door frames that can not be eaten by termites. 

The cost of the frames are three times the price of the normal hardwood used in the cheaper option.

We have changed four door frames in a space of 12 years due to termite damage. 

You dont know the termites are there in the frame until the door fails at the hinges. A very messy job to replace the frames.

Mai Daeng is the name of the hardwood i replaced the frames with.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Trevor Collins said:

My Thai wife and I have had a house built in Issan in the last two years. It was her inherited land and we got a recommended builder. Two beds, bathroom, Lounge and European style kitchen, outside Thai kitchen and leisure area, air con throughout. Possibly 1M Thb.

DSCN0862.JPG

Who chose the colours?  555

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The most important thing is to get a good builder, and then buy what you can afford.

I built mine in 2009 and have had very little problem with it, a decent builder will use a decent electrician.

There has to be a compromise between appearance and comfort. I went for a bungalow, had cavity wall construction and kept the window size relatively small, but each to their own.

day78_3.JPG

day28_5.JPG

Aren't there supposed to be 'ties' between inner and outer wall?

18 hours ago, The Theory said:

I built mine ฿12000/sqm , but I did many things by myself, all plumbing, electrical and some tiling. And it depends on material quality/price. I don't think it will cost you less than 15000/sqm by a builder (I did not hire any builder), even more. 

Seems pretty accurate. electric in a foreign country -brave. 

Edited by charleskerins
nm
  • Agree 1

On 6/13/2024 at 12:26 AM, Hummin said:

You can build block huse thai style, 10cm concrete floor ( they will try to convince you 7cm is standard) concrete posts, steel frame, cheepest roof, cheapest tiles, doors, window, no insulation, 

Include thai style outside kitchen, and 2 thai style batrooms.

12x12m 144m2

rough calculation 700k total, and from there you can add aircons, insulation, more expensive tiles, windows, doors ++++

This is thai standard village construction company and quality. No contract no drawings

A bit more fancy construction company on contract, architect drawings 1,3 million, no electric work done, no kitchen, no bathroom included, just raw house, roof, windows and doors. It is very hard to know what is included and not, as well quality of materials. 

We choosed thai village style.

Horrible quality but livable for as long I plan to stay there. + is easy maintenance and cheap. 

Do they put crushed stone under the concrete?  I was thinking 12.5 cm of crete and 4 inches of stone  -wire mesh?  Also in the mountains what do they do large water tank i'm guessing ?  For sewer do they have what we would call tile fields (seepage beds)
America  ?   Or do they install holding tank and pump it out every so often?