Pattaya City Orders One-Day Break for Beach Umbrella Rentals to Restore Local Environment

webfact

IMG_9254-768x512.jpg

Pattaya City officials have ordered a one-day break for beach umbrella operators on Wednesday, June 12nd, to allow for extensive sand restoration and big cleaning efforts.

The Pattaya City Administration implemented this one-day break to restore the beach ecosystem following the influx of both domestic and international tourists. The idea originated with the City’s Sanitation Control Division and the Natural Resources and Environment Office.

A large team of city workers were dispatched to the beach to use a tractor to till and plow the beachfront, turning the sand over to restore its softness and eliminate any buried debris. The workers also removed litter, broken stones, and other trash, which could be done more conveniently due to the temporary suspension of umbrella and chair operations.

By Aim Tanakorn

PHOTO: 77kaoded

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-06-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't all that long ago that one day off was a rule here in Pattaya area. I think it was Wednesdays.

One day a week will do nothing to improve environment, ya think?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't understand all the hostility to beach chairs.  This is a tourist beach area and most tourists don't pack along beach chairs with their luggage. 

Some may enjoy sitting flat on a mat on the sand but for just relaxing with a cold juice coconut and a book, lounging in a beach chair can be a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon and 50 baht all day for a sling chair and B100 for a lounger seems like a pretty fair tariff to me.  

In 20 years of using beach chairs off and on, I can recall maybe one or two instances of rude or overcharging vendors.  Certainly there have been well publicized instances of vendors going off the rails at some person with the temerity to lay a towel down nearby but that usually is quickly posted to Facebook and dealt with, wai's and smiles all around.

It does seem that at least in Pattaya and Jomtien, the supply far exceeds the demand and fewer vendors with more spacing between wouldn't be a bad idea for all concerned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I suppose working at night is out of the question........:coffee1:

They can't use machinery at night due to not seeing the pi$$-heads on the beach

They should definitely go back to once a week and not just once in a while when it gets really bad. Or they could do what many other international beaches do and rack them every morning to keep them clean and beautiful. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They can't use machinery at night due to not seeing the pi$$-heads on the beach

Just plough them in would make the beach softer, or use a Dozer to push them all into the sea for crab food. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Cha Am has a no umbrella day on Wednesdays.....it's a pleasure to go to the beach, even though it's a rotten beach, but without the ugly and dirty umbrella mafia, it's a far better place.

Same with Hua Hin & Takiab   Wednesday's no Umbrellas,chairs or roaming vendors

They were already forcing them to remove the umbrellas and chairs every week.  I think it was Wednesdays. Then it seemed to stop after awhile, around the time high season started to kick in.

Edited by shdmn

20 hours ago, Emdog said:

Wasn't all that long ago that one day off was a rule here in Pattaya area. I think it was Wednesdays.

One day a week will do nothing to improve environment, ya think?

Well a good clean up on that day might go a long way to improvements......

• Like 1