Firefighter Snaps Under Pressure, Attacks Drinking Buddies: 1 Dead, 3 Hurt

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Thai Rath

In a tragic incident in Samut Prakan, Thailand, a young firefighter, overwhelmed by job stress, fatally stabbed one of his drinking companions and seriously injured three others after what began as a social gathering. 

At approximately 4:30 pm on June 13, 2024, Pol. Col. Wiroj Tasso, superintendent of the Samrong Nuea Police Station, was alerted to a violent altercation at house number 982, Soi Dan Samrong 45/1, Srinakarin Road.

He quickly responded with his team and emergency medical staff from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation.

The scene was chaotic. Outside a single-story house, near a marble table in the parking lot, they found Mr. Thitipan Jaturanon, 42, lying lifeless with a critical knife wound near his left ear.

Despite efforts to save him, Thitipan succumbed to his injuries. Alongside him, three others were severely injured: Mr. Panuwat Puthakul, 25, with three stomach stab wounds; Mr. Narubet Puthakul, 30, with a chest wound; and Mr. Warawut Bangpra, 25, who suffered a cut to his left arm.

The attacker, Mr. Worachit On-uan, a 26-year-old firefighter, was found at the scene with the weapon, a kitchen knife. Worachit, deeply agitated and tearful, did not resist arrest.

Witnesses reported that the incident erupted during a drinking session at Worachit's house. The atmosphere grew tense as the group began taunting Worachit about his work.

Under immense pressure from his firefighting job of just one month, Worachit lost control. He initially stabbed Thitipan before turning on the others. Afterward, he retreated to his home, where he awaited police arrival.

Pol. Col. Wiroj Tasso mentioned that Worachit's motive remains under investigation, as he is too distressed to provide a comprehensive account. Nevertheless, it is evident that workplace stress played a significant role. Neighbors described Worachit as typically mild-mannered and well-liked, making this violent outburst particularly shocking.

This tragic event underscores the importance of addressing mental health concerns, especially in high-pressure jobs like firefighting. Authorities are determined to investigate the incident thoroughly. 

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-14

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Witnesses reported that the incident erupted during a drinking session at Worachit's house. The atmosphere grew tense as the group began taunting Worachit about his work.

They provoked him , thought it was funny , but he was drunk and stressed and responded violently .

If them all would have smoked Ganja instead , none of this would have happened ...

39 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Is this a mental health issue or an emotional  development issue?  The ability to control emotional response is something we learn a a young child. 

Normally yes ... but not here .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I just wonder how much support these people are getting from their employer.

Knowing some of the things they have to deal with i would hope they are getting some kind of

mental coaching?

Or do they just have to deal with it until they snap?

What is the selection procedure?

How many of these first responders are dealing with PTSD?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Of course we do. But I rarely hear of friends/colleagues killing each other over a perceived insult during a drinking session in the UK.

I think it is a rare event here also.

if you can find me a link of another incident where a Thai guy stabbed four of his friends which resulted in one death I will concede you are correct.

53 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I once made the mistake of winning a few games of pool in a row against a drunk off duty cop in a Chiang Mai bar. Fortunately a local advised me it might be a good idea to stop playing as he was getting increasingly beligerent. Since he still had his gun with him, it decided it was good advice. 

You should never back down. You should have taught him a lesson.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Here we go blame it on Mental Health... More Like Alcohol was the problem 

But, it is a mental health problem not knowing when to stop drink 😉 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:
22 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

So true, none of us Brits ever get violent when drunk.

Of course we do. But I rarely hear of friends/colleagues killing each other over a perceived insult during a drinking session in the UK.

I don't know about the UK, but it happens a lot more than you'd think in the USA.  The newspapers have a page 8 article about a domestic disturbance and it's all forgotten in a day.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Stabbing your friends for any reason is a mental issue. Billions of people drink but don't get violent. The ones that do have issues related to self control, which should be learned as a child from parents that know how to teach it. Alcohol can exacerbate what a person is already feeling inside, so it's true many should not drink.

No it's not its called cannot handle your beer, everybody so quick to jump on that band wagon "Hello, I have a mental health issue because when I get drunk, I cannot control my emotions" 

Post breaking the rules has been removed.

Rule 17. The ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, criticizing grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.

• Sad 1

Dam Ganja Again when will they ban that stuff, oh wait sorry Stress, oh uhh Sorry Singha Corporation the most destructive problem causing drug of all BOOZEEEEEEEEE nothing too see here- Dont Taunt Thai's they have ultra violent tantrums.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

No it's not its called cannot handle your beer, everybody so quick to jump on that band wagon "Hello, I have a mental health issue because when I get drunk, I cannot control my emotions" 

What exactly does "handling" your beer mean? Ability to walk when you've had a 12 pack? Being able to drive drunk? Not coming on to another person's girlfriend when you've had a few? A person should always be able to control their emotions This , again, is something that should be taught as a child. Temper tantrums allowed to get out of control mean a child growing up to be a narcissist or thinking they can do whatever they want without repercussions. Someone getting violent when they drink is someone that's a person with a short fuse and prone to violence anyway. Having a few beers is not an excuse to lash out and hit someone, rape a woman of kill. A person drinks to feel better, to "loosen up" so to speak, and not to engage in violence. Stabbing someone for any reason is a mental problem, unless it's in self defense of yourself or family. carrying a weapon is a reason to use it. Having one available in a house when someone goes after you is self defense.

37 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I think it is a rare event here also.

if you can find me a link of another incident where a Thai guy stabbed four of his friends which resulted in one death I will concede you are correct.

You should never back down. You should have taught him a lesson.

People using knives and machetes in crimes is a daily thing here. You only see a very small portion of what goes on here daily, and need to look up stats. And what he die is discretion , which means backing out of a situation that could be deadly, as some are loose cannons and will kill for no reason but their own insecurity. An off duty cop still carrying his gun is someone who is hooked on a power trip, and could get out of control and use that gun. No matter how tough you are, a bullet can stop you, so it's better to stay out of trouble, unless you or family are threatened.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Handling your beer is a UK term which means you are not an idiot in any form after drinking alcohol.

There are many people that do stupid stuff after a session which they would never under any circumstances do when they are sobor. So that's not mental health. 

Now if you are walking with a knife or gun before you are drunk then yes that's premediated anger and you have issues. 

• Agree 2

Post criticising action of Mod has been deleted, continue and you face a suspension.

Rule 13. You will not publicly comment on moderation in an open forum. You will not comment on actions taken by individual moderators or on specific or general policies and issues. You will not post a negative emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. You may send a private message to a moderator to discuss individual actions or you can email support (at) aseannow.com to discuss moderation policy and account suspensions. Aggression or abuse against moderators is not tolerated and any such action will be sanctioned. There is no excuse for abuse

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you have any idea how stressful firefighting can be? You ever run into a couple of children burned to death.

Did you learn how to cope with that as a young child?

Stupid comment.

It appears he was only working as a firefighter for a month, and that maybe he didn't come into any real stressful situations like a veteran has. I know a few firefighters and yes, they have seen a lot of bad situations, but none of them has gone off the deep end like this one has. Again, you do learn how to handle many situations as a child growing up, from your parents and how they act in them. Learning self control starts as a child. Of course many situations a person might see are very stressful but composure is still learned as a child, and practiced from then on. I have seen people burned to death, dead in traffic accidents, and other violent situations and it does bother me, but it has nothing to do with how you act with other people. whether drinking or sober, and especially people you look at as friends. This man was a time bomb waiting to go off, and might have acted violently before, although not as bad as this case. There are people that go into jobs where you use guns and where a lot of stress happens, and these are not jobs you take if you have issues with self control or power, although it happens all the time as we see many cops shooting people who are unarmed.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Darn lucky this didn´t happen during working hours, and came out when sitting drinking. It might just be a couple of bottles of Lao Khao that is showing it´s ugly face again.

I'm not saying you're wrong but how are you sure it wasn't' during his working shift.   In some places firefighters work on 24 hour shifts.

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

They provoked him , thought it was funny , but he was drunk and stressed and responded violently .

If them all would have smoked Ganja instead , none of this would have happened ...

Rubbish.

You have no way of knowing that.

I have had some serious issues with dope heads during the last couple of years and I am not a violent or aggressive man.

I have never hit anyone and I have never smoked dope. But I do have a drink now and again.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

The ones that do have issues related to self control, which should be learned as a child from parents that know how to teach it.

I see no self-control from many Thais here on a daily basis. Mostly on the roads but also a lot of passive-agressive behaviour.

A lot of pent-up emotions within people that are, for want of a better phrase, still children in adult bodies. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1