Tourism Council's Plan to Combat Overtourism Revealed

webfact

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

On one hand they are whining about too many tourists coming here.

On the other hand, they are easing visa restrictions for many countries and proposing to double the "visa exemption" period to attract MORE tourists.

On another hand, they want to gouge those tourists by adding yet another surcharge on their ticket prices.
But another hand wants to cancel the idea because it may reduce the number of tourists.

I expect the next thing will be an increase of prices - for foreigners -  at national parks and historic sites. Maybe the ones that charge foreigners 5 times more for a ticket will increase the price and then charge 10 times more while the ones already charging 10 times more will also increase their price and charge 20 times more ?

Like Khao Kitchakut did a couple years ago. 
20 baht ticket for Thais, 100 for foreigners.

Then it went to 20 baht for Thais  and 200 for foreigners.

I guess foreigners were breathing too much air and taking too many pictures (or not throwing enough money into all the money traps they've set up at the top).

Khao Yai and Khao Phra Vihan for example charge 40 baht for locals and 400 for foreigners.

I haven't looked at the arrival numbers recently. Before the covid crisis, Thailand received something like 39(+) million "arrivals" in 2018 I think it was and was expecting close to 40(ish) million in 2019.
I looked up those numbers a couple years ago when the gov't first announced they were planning on adding another surcharge to ticket prices because "foreigners" skipping out on their hospital bills had cost those hospitals (most of which were PRIVATE hospitals) nearly 300 million baht.
I calculated that they only needed to add a 10 baht surcharge to tickets to recover that "lost" money and then some.

So what did the gov't decide ? They wanted a 300 baht charge ! 30 times more than they said "foreigners" had stiffed the hospitals for.

(It sounds like they got a lot of negative publicity and pushback so have cancelled the increase. For now.)

So if they could handle 40 million+ arrivals back in 2019, they should be able to handle at least the same numbers now. It's not like they're suddenly facing 60 or 70 million arrivals in the last year even with the changes to visas and visa exemptions (that haven't even happened yet).

one has to wonder ...     why ? isn't Thailand the Ping Pong champion of the world ( not counting Patpong )

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

On one hand they are whining about too many tourists coming here.

On the other hand, they are easing visa restrictions for many countries and proposing to double the "visa exemption" period to attract MORE tourists.

On another hand, they want to gouge those tourists by adding yet another surcharge on their ticket prices.
But another hand wants to cancel the idea because it may reduce the number of tourists.

I expect the next thing will be an increase of prices - for foreigners -  at national parks and historic sites. Maybe the ones that charge foreigners 5 times more for a ticket will increase the price and then charge 10 times more while the ones already charging 10 times more will also increase their price and charge 20 times more ?

Like Khao Kitchakut did a couple years ago. 
20 baht ticket for Thais, 100 for foreigners.

Then it went to 20 baht for Thais  and 200 for foreigners.

I guess foreigners were breathing too much air and taking too many pictures (or not throwing enough money into all the money traps they've set up at the top).

Khao Yai and Khao Phra Vihan for example charge 40 baht for locals and 400 for foreigners.

I haven't looked at the arrival numbers recently. Before the covid crisis, Thailand received something like 39(+) million "arrivals" in 2018 I think it was and was expecting close to 40(ish) million in 2019.
I looked up those numbers a couple years ago when the gov't first announced they were planning on adding another surcharge to ticket prices because "foreigners" skipping out on their hospital bills had cost those hospitals (most of which were PRIVATE hospitals) nearly 300 million baht.
I calculated that they only needed to add a 10 baht surcharge to tickets to recover that "lost" money and then some.

So what did the gov't decide ? They wanted a 300 baht charge ! 30 times more than they said "foreigners" had stiffed the hospitals for.

(It sounds like they got a lot of negative publicity and pushback so have cancelled the increase. For now.)

So if they could handle 40 million+ arrivals back in 2019, they should be able to handle at least the same numbers now. It's not like they're suddenly facing 60 or 70 million arrivals in the last year even with the changes to visas and visa exemptions (that haven't even happened yet).

The leaders like always can't decide when Going to toilet to <deleted> or Pee.🤔

"Overtourism arguably began in the 18th century. It's about managing the tourism flow."

WTH? I know King George sent lots of red coats and sailors off to tour the American colonies in the 18th century.... and food sample trips to Indian sub continent... other european of military age toured Africa, S America, Asia.... other than that, her statement  is spit out my coffee level absurdity

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Tourism accounts for about 20% of the GDP and foreign tourism is about 12% of that.

And note that Thailand's economy did NOT crash and burn even when they completely shut down the (foreign) tourist industry completely and restricted domestic tourism as well.

Yes, a lot of businesses closed. A lot of people were out of work. A lot of people went back to their villages.

And a few weeks later most of them were working at other jobs. Maybe not as glamourous or well paying, but still work.

I know one girl who was a dancer in Baccara who went home and ended up working in a CP chicken factory.

So it's not like 20% of the country suddenly starved to death. And 2 years later everything was pretty much back to normal. (I haven't checked to see if that girl went back to Baccara or is still working in the chicken factory.)

Tourism is a huge revenue source for the country - but the "sex" part is NOT the main driving force - except for the old, fat, white single males from Western countries of course.

The same people who often think THEY are the only reason Thailand even has tourists because when they look around their favourite beer bar all they see is other old, fat, "white" guys like themselves and they have NO idea that there's 10s of MILLIONS of other tourists in the country that will likely never even go near a Pattaya beer bar on their holidays.

The economy has not come back, as you claim. It is in bad shape. Low growth, higher unemployment, (despite what they claim) lower car and real estate sales, manufacturing and exports are down. Etc, etc. 

Many are struggling here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism faces a crisis as overtourism sparks protests globally. The World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) has a plan to manage the surge in visitors, urging cooperation between businesses and local communities.

This is about the rest of the world not just Thailand. Thailand will take no heed of anything the WTTC says, him falang him not know Thainess. IMO

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

Thailand will do exactly nothing to improve Tourism adventures or visitors, having lived here for over two decades , there is still too many Tourist scams from Jet Skis to taxis. The infrastructure is poor despite promises to improve it. Toilets for example are a very good guide to an efficient tourism service, woefully poor standards in many places.

I enjoy Thailand but then I do not do the tourism sites. 

How can you JUSTIFY  the 100/300 per cent increase in admittance prices, when you do not improve said site at all. Pure Governmental authorised SCAM !!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1