Why is Milk So Pricey In Thailand?

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I found the 7l per 1kg a little strong for me.

I've finished up using 620gm of water in a jug and pouring in 70-80gm of milk powder (easy to measure on the kitchen scales).

Stir for 30s, then it's done.

That's just under 9l for 225bht = 25bht/ltr.

That's good to know. I'll experiment, but I do like my milk thick and creamy. My price was 274 baht shipped. Are you getting it at the shop you mentioned?

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

That's good to know. I'll experiment, but I do like my milk thick and creamy. My price was 274 baht shipped. Are you getting it at the shop you mentioned?

Yep, YoK sells at 225bht/Kg, bit cheaper if you buy 10 bags.

If you use the Lazada app, you might get a discount or free shipping.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Presnock said:

that is also due to all the fast food joints here now....in the 70's, there were none at all and most of the Thais were shorter and non-fat...to see a fat Thai then was amazing to say the least!

They couldn't afford to be fat back in the 1970s, but now they can as high-calorie food with lots of sugar is cheaper than nutritious food (per calorie).

Men will have to find poorer countries to visit if they like their women skinny. There are a lot of skinny under-nourished Filipinos still getting around in the provinces, but the only problem is when they get to Western countries they fatten up quickly. There are still a lot of skinny Thai women around though, you just have to search a bit harder LOL.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I found the 7l per 1kg a little strong for me.

I've finished up using 620gm of water in a jug and pouring in 70-80gm of milk powder (easy to measure on the kitchen scales).

Stir for 30s, then it's done.

That's just under 9l for 225bht = 25bht/ltr.

I go with 6L per bag ... 835gr / 165gr ratio.  Rich & Creamy

Yes, a bit cheaper if getting a box of 12 bags online, as local price is silly here per bag (Dairy Rich).

฿2699+170 = ฿2869 ÷ 12 ÷ 6 = ฿39.83 / Liter

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2024 at 2:05 PM, MalcolmB said:

The girls also have smaller milkers.

Diet and climate.

Don't know where you stay. I see not only in Thailand the milkers growing at even younger girls.

I guess due to the hormons in chicken meat.

But I like the new word milkers 555

On 6/16/2024 at 12:38 PM, BritManToo said:

I've changed to using Dairy Rich milk powder from NZ.

Works out at around 50bht/2ltr and I can't really tell the difference.

Added bonus, I don't have to keep going to the shops for milk.

220bht for 1KG at YoK, I pour 620gm of water in a jug, and make up to 700gm with milk powder.

I also recently switched to Dairy Rich, semi skimmed, that I buy online as my Makro only sells full cream powder.

it does not keep as long as Meiji milk in the fridge so I usually only make 1 to 1.5 litres at a time.

Certainly tastes as good as Meiji and much cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:08 AM, SteveJames said:

95-105 Baht for 2 Litres of Milk on Grab and in TOPS...  thats around £2.20 ... My mate just showed me £1.49 at Tescos in the UK.  I always noticed Milk was not cheap here, I call it "White Gold" in this house...But Why?   Do Dairy Cows go on Strike here?

That is less than 80p a pint. What is so expensive about that?

• Confused 1

I didn’t read all replies. It’s nothing to do with demand or anything else. 

The question is why is milk so cheap in the UK?

Supermarkets driving down the price and using it as a loss leader to bring people into the stores to spend on more expensive goods. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

Don't know where you stay. I see not only in Thailand the milkers growing at even younger girls.

I guess due to the hormons in chicken meat.

But I like the new word milkers 555

Your name should be PutThaiMay Dai

Vietnamese girls seem to be slimmer but with bigger milkers 

This is an interesting question, and only answered by Europeans.  I just returned from te US where 100% milk was $4.62 a gallon for name brand and Walmart brand $2.75.  So, if you take that and do the division to liters and convert into baht, that price in Thailand would be 85.5 baht for 2L bottle for brand name and 51 baht for 2L Walmart brand.  Another example, in US for 1 dozen of lg eggs $4.00 or about 142 baht.  To buy the typical box of 30 eggs in the US, 356 baht while in Thailand at makro, currently 155 baht for 30 eggs

So, in the US, milk is cheap but eggs are like gold!

2 hours ago, fceligoj said:

To buy the typical box of 30 eggs in the US, 356 baht while in Thailand at makro, currently 155 baht for 30 eggs

So, in the US, milk is cheap but eggs are like gold!

Close enough, but here, Makro/ARO eggs ... #1 / 150 baht, #0 / 163 baht @ Hua Hin & PKK (municipality), as of yesterday.

Possibly a different supplier

Edited by KhunLA

On 6/16/2024 at 1:59 AM, bkk6060 said:

Donkey milk is actually referred to as White Gold.  It runs about $160 for 2 litres.  So many other things are much cheaper then home countries seems kind of odd to complain about something that is 1 dollar more.  But, I guess if one is poor or on a very tight budget it could be a problem.

Monkey milk is even more expensive.

....And it is not even fresh milk as it never goes bad! Last time I looked closely the label said 'made from fresh milk'. I learned this years ago when going away from my apartment for a month leaving about a centimeter (so it was already a week or two old)of milk in a bottle in my fridge . When I came back. It looked okay it smelled okay and tasted okay...555. So l made a cup of tea with it and survived 555. I think it was 'Dutch Mill'.

• Confused 1

Coming from born and raised on a dairy farm in the uk Devon

We got paid 17 pence a litre 1980,s

I got up at 04:30 to start the first milking of 3, 7daya a week 

Then the cleaning up!

But drinking the milk once it had passed through the plate cooler

And in the bulk tank was unbelievable!

On 6/16/2024 at 12:08 AM, SteveJames said:

95-105 Baht for 2 Litres of Milk on Grab and in TOPS...  thats around £2.20 ... My mate just showed me £1.49 at Tescos in the UK.  I always noticed Milk was not cheap here, I call it "White Gold" in this house...But Why?   Do Dairy Cows go on Strike here?

Because milk is cheaper in the UK the most countries 

On 6/16/2024 at 12:38 PM, BritManToo said:

I've changed to using Dairy Rich milk powder from NZ.

Works out at around 50bht/2ltr and I can't really tell the difference.

Added bonus, I don't have to keep going to the shops for milk.

220bht for 1KG at YoK, I pour 620gm of water in a jug, and make up to 700gm with milk powder.

What is YOK? Can you buy non fat milk powder? If so where?

On 6/17/2024 at 1:00 PM, worgeordie said:

Foremost stopped selling milk a couple of years ago ? , they had been  selling

fresh milk in Thailand since the Vietnam war, as they were set up to supply the

US armed forces , so it cannot be that profitable or they would still be doing it,

I buy and use dried milk from NZ , reconstitute it with water ,and it's very good,

222 Baht and makes 7 ltrs , so 34 B ltr plus the bottled water,but I think it's much

better milk anyway...

regards worgeordie

Is NZ for New Zealand? Or is it something else?

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Is NZ for New Zealand? Or is it something else?

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What is YOK? Can you buy non fat milk powder? If so where?

YOK is a bakery supply store in Chiang Mai , they supply Non fat milk powder

from NZ  New Zealand , 620 grm Google it 

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:21 AM, JensenZ said:

Please report back if it tastes as good as Meiji fresh milk.  I would be surprised but you never know. You need to drink a glass of it and then compare the taste . 

I grew up on a farm in Norway and milk is like wine there, you can spot the difference between the different brands. 

Edited by balo

On 8/3/2024 at 12:16 PM, NoshowJones said:

620 grams, what is that in MLs or pints?

Milk is very close to 1 ml per gram. Actual: 1.04 grams per 1 ml, so 620 grams = 596 ml

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, balo said:

Please report back if it tastes as good as Meiji fresh milk.  I would be surprised but you never know. You need to drink a glass of it and then compare the taste . 

I grew up on a farm in Norway and milk is like wine there, you can spot the difference between the different brands. 

I've received the NZ powdered milk and will give my opinion on its taste once I've opened it.

When I first arrived in Thailand nearly 20 years ago, there weren't many brands of whole milk available, but it seems new brands are now popping up quite often. They all have distinct flavours. There are several designer formulations available now too, such as extra creamy, barista, organic and more. Also, there's quite a big choice of lactose-free formulations.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1