Is being a gay expat (and/or gay retired expat) in Thailand really as great as the hype?

Message added by CharlieH,

This is the Gay forum with enhanced Forum Rules - Please observe the Code of Conduct for this forum.

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But it is the fact that such an accepting countrywide culture, makes it not only possible but likely that a few port towns will welcome sailors of all stripes... no? 

Ladyboys work in remote locations too. You see them in shops working. Nobody cares.

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Ladyboys work in remote locations too. You see them in shops working. Nobody cares.

That's true. Nobody cares if they work in shops.

This topic is really about the gay expat experience in Thailand. Not so much the Thai experience. That's a different area of discussion. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

That's true. Nobody cares if they work in shops.

This topic is really about the gay expat experience in Thailand. Not so much the Thai experience. That's a different area of discussion. 

Thais are less bigoted. Thats the message. White people need to improve.

16 hours ago, susanlea said:

Of course they do... I have been living in remote locations in Thailand for 25 years... 

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Of course they do... I have been living in remote locations in Thailand for 25 years... 

Why don't more gays do that? Less bigotry as there are less foreigners.

4 hours ago, susanlea said:

Why don't more gays do that? Less bigotry as there are less foreigners.

I think that's fairly obvious. Gay people universally and globally tend to gather in cities for social and often  survival reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, orchis said:

You first, should be interesting. 

I seriously doubt that it would be.

I just started this as a discussion topic for entertainment purposes in response to the youtube video that I mentioned. 

But I can say I think a lot depends on where you live in Thailand. 

I live in an area where tourism is completely dominant and most Thais are not local but move here for the tourism economy.

So obviously the level.of corruption and seeing foreigners as walking ATMs would be particularly high in such places. 

That might be similarly true in similar tourism meccas Internationally but I think in Thailand even more so for cultural reasons.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1