Russian Man Arrested in Phuket Over 50 Stolen Coral Rocks

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Protection Act 2019, which outlaws possession of protected wildlife.

For a couple of rockst the smaller ones was not even visible on my screen.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Police in Phuket have detained a Russian man accused of stealing more than 50 pieces of coral rock from the sea. The arrest took place yesterday following a coordinated effort between local police and tourist police.

Officers tracked down 46-year-old Alexsandr Krasilov outside the Siberyak restaurant in Rawai. Krasilov was taken into custody for illegally removing coral rocks from the sea, presumed to be used as decorative features outside the eatery.

Authorities have not confirmed whether Krasilov owns or runs the restaurant, nor the specific times and places the coral was taken. Krasilov has been charged under Section 7 of the Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act 2019, which outlaws possession of protected wildlife.

The arrest involved Lieutenant Colonel Channarong Rodthongdee from the SWAT TAT 3rd Battalion Investigation Division, along with expert fisheries officer Nares Chuphung.

Officials from the Phuket Marine Resource Conservation Centre and the Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division also took part in the operation.

Picture courtesy: MGR online

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I wonder what he wanted to do with the corals? Put them into a suitcase and take them home?????😳

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Does anyone know the actual detailed law on this sort of thing ?

To the best of my knowledge these are actually dead corals and can widely be found washed up on many beaches. I must admit I have taken some in the past (pre 2019 law, officer) as decorations for my aquarium. 

However, my wife still likes to collect shells off the beach. 

Is she risking a visit from SWAT and a shaming in the national press ? 

Same here I have taken them home, just found them on the beach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I wonder what he wanted to do with the corals? Put them into a suitcase and take them home?????😳

7 hours ago, webfact said:

presumed to be used as decorative features outside the eatery.

There you go newbee it helps to read the story. Still not confirmed if he runs the restaurant, but my guess would be yes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Authorities have not confirmed whether Krasilov owns or runs the restaurant, nor the specific times and places the coral was taken. Krasilov has been charged under Section 7 of the Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act 2019, which outlaws possession of protected wildlife.

WildLIFE ? me thinks not much life in them. Come on Cops you must know what visa he has, or is that negotiable.?

a257340b-c030-469d-b264-8776c78e12c2_text.gif.624837e2a67f8b56988a932c20eeb23a.gif

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

There you go newbee it helps to read the story. Still not confirmed if he runs the restaurant, but my guess would be yes. 

Well, but it's not even clear, what is his connection to the eatery. However, there will be some because of the name. Siberian (Engl) or Siberyak(russ). 

My guess he doesn't have even a work permit, what leads to the question why so many Russians are caught doing illegal things here and how they can do it? By bribing or just ignore Thai laws? Many it seems to me are not here for holidays but permanent living. I'm not amused.🤔

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ronster said:

I'm guessing they would all be clearly dead when he took them , but the police would say to him prove it otherwise charging him .

Doesn't matter, taking them is illegal. Has been so for many years, as is importation to most western countries.

they aren't "rocks"

It’s illegal to take any coral, even dead coral found on beaches, in Thailand.

Thailand has strict laws to conserve its coral reefs, which are vital for marine life and tourism. Dead coral still plays a role in the ecosystem, providing shelter for small creatures. Or being eroded into sand. E.g. “white sandy beaches”.

Several laws regulate this, the Fisheries Act specifically restricts possession of certain aquatic animals or products, including coral, without permission.

The law makes provision for fines or even arrest for taking coral, even if it washed ashore. There have been previous instances of tourists getting into trouble for possessing coral souvenirs.

Many countries, including Thailand, have customs regulations that prohibit importing coral. So, taking coral could lead to problems at the airport.

So admire the coral on the beach, but leave it where it is. Take pictures instead!

Th movement of dead coral is also regulated under CITES of which Thailand is a signatory.

PS – it is also illegal to take shells off the beaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ronster said:

I'm guessing they would all be clearly dead when he took them , but the police would say to him prove it otherwise charging him .

It doesn't matter is they are "dead" they are still protected under Thai and international law.

• Like 2