Toddler's Vaping Sparks Outrage in Saraburi

screenshot_311.jpg

Picture courtesy: Facebook/ ฝนหน่วยกู้ภัยผี แกล้วทนงค์

Residents in the central province of Saraburi are up in arms after a 17-year-old mother allowed her 19-month-old son to vape and supposedly consume a kratom drink. Shockingly, the mother appeared proud, sharing videos of the toddler’s troubling activities on social media.

Disturbed neighbours and residents, who saw both the boy vaping and drinking from a tumbler, reported the incident to a local non-profit, Saimai Survive, seeking intervention for the vulnerable child.

Fuelled by the public outcry, many condemned both the mother and father for what they viewed as blatant child abuse. Nevertheless, the teenage mother defended herself on Facebook, stating, "Every parent raises their child differently... I’m raising my child in a way that makes me happy."

Responding promptly, Ekkaphop Lueangprasert, founder of Saimai Survive, and his team visited the family's home on 15th June to assess the situation and engage with the parents.

In discussions with Ekkaphop, the mother revealed that she had allowed her son to vape since he was just 14 months old. She asserted that the child enjoyed vaping and pitched a tantrum if denied the e-cigarette.

The 31-year-old father admitted to accidentally leaving the vape within the child’s reach and was aware his wife filmed and shared the videos, which were quickly distributed by viewers.

The father further claimed that the kratom accusation was based on a misunderstanding, asserting that the boy was drinking a soft drink, not a kratom-based beverage.

Despite multiple warnings from the 30-year-old grandmother to stop posting such content, the mother continued. The grandmother now vows to take over the child’s care to prevent future incidents.

The boy has been placed under the care of Mueang Saraburi Shelter for Children and Family for a thorough examination regarding vaping's impact on his health.

The father faces charges under Section 246 of the Customs Act for distributing untaxed vaping products, facing potential penalties of up to five years in prison, a hefty fine, or both. Authorities are also probing the supply chain responsible for selling the vape devices.

The case highlights severe socio-legal concerns regarding child welfare and substance misuse in the region.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In any civilised society the child might very well be removed by social services for his own protection... 

... in Thailand, that child will grow up with brothers and sisters from various fathers, ride motorcycles without helmets, kill themself running a red light, drown in a pond....  

... Of course I know none of this, so any counter argument taking my comment a little too literally is valid, however, the underlying point is there - this behavior is not just a warning flag, its a blinding strobe light.

100 % right. No, will not attack on anything because, my post you replied to, of course went too far in a civil society. Unfortunately, this is as far for civil we can come. And this is not really the families fault. Of course it would be nice if people all by themselves could have some common sense and critical thinking. However, that is not the fact. The worst things are that the authorities nor the education system has any knowledge nor tools to deal with severe problems of this kind. They just don´t know how to do.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

screenshot_311.jpg

Residents in the central province of Saraburi are up in arms after a 17-year-old mother allowed her 19-month-old son to vape and supposedly consume a kratom drink. Shockingly, the mother appeared proud, sharing videos of the toddler’s troubling activities on social media.

Disturbed neighbours and residents, who saw both the boy vaping and drinking from a tumbler, reported the incident to a local non-profit, Saimai Survive, seeking intervention for the vulnerable child.

Fuelled by the public outcry, many condemned both the mother and father for what they viewed as blatant child abuse. Nevertheless, the teenage mother defended herself on Facebook, stating, "Every parent raises their child differently... I’m raising my child in a way that makes me happy."

Responding promptly, Ekkaphop Lueangprasert, founder of Saimai Survive, and his team visited the family's home on 15th June to assess the situation and engage with the parents.

In discussions with Ekkaphop, the mother revealed that she had allowed her son to vape since he was just 14 months old. She asserted that the child enjoyed vaping and pitched a tantrum if denied the e-cigarette.

The 31-year-old father admitted to accidentally leaving the vape within the child’s reach and was aware his wife filmed and shared the videos, which were quickly distributed by viewers.

The father further claimed that the kratom accusation was based on a misunderstanding, asserting that the boy was drinking a soft drink, not a kratom-based beverage.

Despite multiple warnings from the 30-year-old grandmother to stop posting such content, the mother continued. The grandmother now vows to take over the child’s care to prevent future incidents.

The boy has been placed under the care of Mueang Saraburi Shelter for Children and Family for a thorough examination regarding vaping's impact on his health.

The father faces charges under Section 246 of the Customs Act for distributing untaxed vaping products, facing potential penalties of up to five years in prison, a hefty fine, or both. Authorities are also probing the supply chain responsible for selling the vape devices.

The case highlights severe socio-legal concerns regarding child welfare and substance misuse in the region.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Will they X-ray the poor child’s lungs for damage already caused by vaping and will he be treated and rehabilitated for damage already possibly caused?
Will the mother get drug & alcohol education?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Raising a child is hard there is no right or wrong answer.

In general, Thailand this type of behavior thinking " mis-understanding "  goes on daily from decades to centuries "

This child just like the child parents his future had already been determine " a CD "  

The art of parenting seems to be a lost art in this day and age. I'm noticing this not just in Thailand, but this seems to be a worldwide phenomena. This kind of thing is both reckless and insane.

Lock up Mom. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

screenshot_311.jpg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-17

Will be interesting how the sad story will end. 😳

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In any civilised society the child might very well be removed by social services for his own protection... 

Maybe you didn't read that The boy has been placed under the care of Mueang Saraburi Shelter for Children and Family for a thorough examination regarding vaping's impact on his health.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronster said:

Thought vapes were illegal here ?

I guess you didn't read The father faces charges under Section 246 of the Customs Act for distributing untaxed vaping products, facing potential penalties of up to five years in prison, a hefty fine, or both. Authorities are also probing the supply chain responsible for selling the vape devices.

• Like 1

Wow. Nobody is outraged about the mom's age? She's 17, and has a 19 months child. Doesn't that mean she was just over 15 when she gave birth? Doesn't that mean she was under 15 when she got pregnant? To a guy about twice her age? But I guess that runs on her family with her mom only 30....

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo

1 hour ago, Irons said:

So is prostitution 

There isn't any prostitution in Thailand. The officials have declared this umpteen times after their "entertainment zone" inspections. 

Edited by sabai-dee-man
  • Haha 2