This reminds me of the article about new MC license for big bikes (over 400cc) becoming mandatory. It's basically the same thing. Perhaps I should keep calling the land Office to find out more info.

16 hours ago, perconrad said:

I was called to the local tax office since they had received documents from the Danish tax office with my income and they would talk with me about my tax to be paid in Thailand of my Danish pensions,

So many questions to unpack here.But simply put, I don't believe a word of it - at least in the way it's expressed here.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

At what point will YOU consider it is mandatory?

In Thai tax law, it is already past the point of being mandatory for many, thus far this year, because the law states a person will acquire a Thai TIN, within two months of exceeding the income threshold of 60k Baht. That means, well, you know what it means but perhaps you have a different slant on things.

That sentence may be partially right but to make it CORRECT it needs in the third phrase, "within 60 days of having assessable income" amended to the original and then it would put an addition caveat on whether or not one is required to get a Thai TIN.  Some of us, unless there is a drastic change to the law and interpretations of the change by the government will never have assessable income in regards to the Thai tax laws and therefore, if we are not required to file taxes nor get a Thai TAX ID number then to me it is fairly clear that at present I do not need to get a Thai Tax ID.  I do not receive assessable income nor do I remit assessable income into Thailand.

10 minutes ago, jayboy said:

So many questions to unpack here.But simply put, I don't believe a word of it - at least in the way it's expressed here.

Sounds to me like a Danish tax office IAW OECD, CRS, FACTA or whatever, has forwared to the Thai tax revenue department, details of your pensions/income which may or may not be assessable and you should be aware of if there is a DTA or visa status providing taxes or not status of your income.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

It's the same number, but you need to register as income tax payer at the customs office (or similar tax office, if not the same as in the province where I live). You will get a small slip as proof of tax ID...

image.jpeg.3b240be2e5ab033d4f913f60f171eeea.jpeg

They dont issue this card thing anymore

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

That sentence may be partially right but to make it CORRECT it needs in the third phrase, "within 60 days of having assessable income" amended to the original and then it would put an addition caveat on whether or not one is required to get a Thai TIN.  Some of us, unless there is a drastic change to the law and interpretations of the change by the government will never have assessable income in regards to the Thai tax laws and therefore, if we are not required to file taxes nor get a Thai TAX ID number then to me it is fairly clear that at present I do not need to get a Thai Tax ID.  I do not receive assessable income nor do I remit assessable income into Thailand.

I said two months, that's close enough to 60 days is it not! And I am pretty certain that as long as we've all been involved in this topic that everyone now fully understand that it means income that is assessable rather than just money that is received.

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Mike, as I see it from my perspective, I would agree that it could be mandantory to get a Thai Tax ID if the Thai government changed or interpreted their tax ID law to indicate that whether income is assessable or not, once (60K or 120K whatever amount they choose) has been remitted one must obtain a Thai Tax ID although even by having such an ID would not mean that one would have to file tax forms unless that income is actually assessable under the tax laws.  Just saying as that is my operational opinion. Have a good one!

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Mike, as I see it from my perspective, I would agree that it could be mandantory to get a Thai Tax ID if the Thai government changed or interpreted their tax ID law to indicate that whether income is assessable or not, once (60K or 120K whatever amount they choose) has been remitted one must obtain a Thai Tax ID although even by having such an ID would not mean that one would have to file tax forms unless that income is actually assessable under the tax laws.  Just saying as that is my operational opinion. Have a good one!

I fail to understand the confusion on this point, the Tax Guide and the Tax Code is explicit:

TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN) 

84) Before you can file a tax return in Thailand, you must obtain a Tax Identification Number or TIN from the RD offices in your area. You are required by law to obtain a TIN, within 60 days from when you first derive the minimum assessable income, which is 120,000 baht of income received from overseas, after becoming tax resident. For long stay residents that will be a minimum of 180 days plus 60 days in country, in the same tax year. The Thai ID card number serves as the TIN for the local population. It is not necessary for people who are not Thai tax resident to obtain a TIN, neither is it necessary to obtain one if you do not exceed the assessable income level threshold. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I said two months, that's close enough to 60 days is it not! And I am pretty certain that as long as we've all been involved in this topic that everyone now fully understand that it means income that is assessable rather than just money that is received.

MIke your should be the last one to ASSUME anything positive from this forum members.  Not sure if you notice, but I still get questions about very basic income remitted in to Thailand on other forums and even on this forum see daily that many people must have been asleep over the last 6 months concerning this and other issues.  Just like the visas, daily asking the same questions asked yesterday.   I have no

doubt whatsoever that you and a couple of other members have gone out of your way to keep us all informed of what you know or hear and I appreciate it - when it first started, I too was like many of the other forum users but learned along the way how to find out information for myself about my situation and I definitely am not panicking at all.  No one should be yet! in my opinion, we just have to wait.  Thanks though for all your assistance!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I fail to understand the confusion on this point, the Tax Guide and the Tax Code is explicit:

TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (TIN) 

84) Before you can file a tax return in Thailand, you must obtain a Tax Identification Number or TIN from the RD offices in your area. You are required by law to obtain a TIN, within 60 days from when you first derive the minimum assessable income, which is 120,000 baht of income received from overseas, after becoming tax resident. For long stay residents that will be a minimum of 180 days plus 60 days in country, in the same tax year. The Thai ID card number serves as the TIN for the local population. It is not necessary for people who are not Thai tax resident to obtain a TIN, neither is it necessary to obtain one if you do not exceed the assessable income level threshold. 

Fully clear and thanks Mike!  Alway appreciate your comments!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

MIke your should be the last one to ASSUME anything positive from this forum members.  Not sure if you notice, but I still get questions about very basic income remitted in to Thailand on other forums and even on this forum see daily that many people must have been asleep over the last 6 months concerning this and other issues.  Just like the visas, daily asking the same questions asked yesterday.   I have no

doubt whatsoever that you and a couple of other members have gone out of your way to keep us all informed of what you know or hear and I appreciate it - when it first started, I too was like many of the other forum users but learned along the way how to find out information for myself about my situation and I definitely am not panicking at all.  No one should be yet! in my opinion, we just have to wait.  Thanks though for all your assistance!

You are of course correct. It is likely I'm becoming a tad tetchy at the persistent prodding and jibing by a couple of miscreant living dead types  in related threads....apologies.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

You are of course correct. It is likely I'm becoming a tad tetchy at the persistent prodding and jibing by a couple of miscreant living dead types  in related threads....apologies.

none needed as like I said I constantly get questions about other subjects too that were answered just a few minutes earlier...but the big problem is how slow the government moves in order to inform the citizens of progress on any major change be it taxes or elsewhere.  Have a great day!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Why don't you believe me? What is it you don't believe?

I am Danish and English is not my first language, so perhaps I write something wrong in English?

At the local tax office they showed me the yearly tax settlement for me they had received from the tax office in Denmark where I pay taxes of my Danish pensions.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, jayboy said:

Actually,  it's a well known story

On 6/18/2024 at 10:04 PM, gamb00ler said:

This has been discussed before but unfortunately the search function for this forum software is not very useful.

If you get your Pink ID before getting your Thai tax ID.... that number becomes your tax ID.

If you get your tax ID first that of course will be your Thai tax ID.  If you subsequently get a Pink ID the number on it will differ from your tax ID.

I wouldn't bet my life on this info, but it is the best explanation for the experiences of several members (from the old thread) who have both a Pink ID and a Thai tax ID.

Wife and I went to the Rev Dept yesterday in Pran Buri,   we told the smiling man behind the desk we wanted a T.I.N. so we can be prepared for the  (possible) situation /2025..  first words out of his mouth were ( wait for it ........)    "NO,  can not"   I busted out laughing...

but as I always do..   I had my Felix the Cat magic bag with me..  so I started busting out my Pink Card, Yellow House Book, Passport, and a stack of paper which was all the photo copies  and relevant pages of the above , 5 months of bank statements for this year with all the incoming transfers already highlited, and my U.S. Social Security statement

the look on his face was priceless, So I had to sign all the pages then he took the stack over to level 2 and they started processing everything. half way thru he comes back and asks why I did not do a report/return for all the previous years I lived here.. replied ...just started coming up in the news recently  he said it's a  200Baht penalt for every year

10 mins later the traveling food vendor walked in with her basket of pre-packed food.   I stopped her and we gave her 500Baht and had her pile a bunch of packs on the desk and told the staff lunch was on us..      Total of 57 minutes time and he walked over with the little card with my ID # ( totally diff from any #s on the Pink Card,   and said he would only charge us for not coming in this year ,, so he nicked me for 200Baht,,  at least I got a receipt ...

told us when you come back to file your report bring the full years worth of statements.   

and then I had to take my Wife out to lunch for grilled shrimp ..  Pa Sao in Takiab.  and you get a free show as they constantly chase the monkeys away that are trying to steal the seafood on the ice counters. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 1:50 AM, jayboy said:

How do you think it should be "expressed" then? 

On 6/20/2024 at 10:10 AM, perconrad said:

At the local tax office they showed me the yearly tax settlement for me they had received from the tax office in Denmark where I pay taxes of my Danish pensions.

So what might the double taxation agreement between Denmark and Thailand have to say on where taxes on your Danish pensions should be paid? A pretty crucial point which needs to be checked, I would have thought - particularly if the TRD are coming after you for tax!

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

So what might the double taxation agreement between Denmark and Thailand have to say on where taxes on your Danish pensions should be paid? A pretty crucial point which needs to be checked, I would have thought - particularly if the TRD are coming after you for tax!

Denmark has a double taxation agreement with Thailand and pensions will be taxed in the country where they are paid out.

I guess the local tax office could see that since I had paid 38 % in tax in Denmark, I was over the Thai threshold for tax of my pension and they did not want me to fill out a tax form.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 9:13 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Why don't we all rush out and get TIN's

Actually I did years ago

But in my case it made me a profit as I used it to reclaim interest banks were taking out of my savings when interest exceeded 30k a year

They gave it all back which was nice of them 😉 

But I will say it was not easy to initially get the TIN...First I was sent to wrong office where they worked on it for an hour before realizing I needed to go elsewhere 😅 Once there it took another 30minutes or so

• Haha 1