E-Tricycles: Cost to buy/run, reliability, spares, range (km) etc

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

thoughts and advice about buying an e-trike

This one is going cheap, the previous Evil Knievl rider couldn't outrun the SUV. Typical riding manner from these foreigners that ride these e-trike scooter here in Pattaya. 

I'm sure they're all on a death wish. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

appears many 600 -1000W electric tricycle on the market, these days price appear to 10,000 - 15,000.. not long ago most started at 28,000

In my small Village a 80+ year old guy uses his everyday with no problems for over a  year, he often goes to nearest shops + Market 2 km away

I did look at one myself about 3 years ago 39,000 baht.  as prices have come down a lot relooking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i agree, too dangerous, too slow, don't fit in with the traffic, i can easily imagine a thai on a phone easy hitting one

problem is we are all getting older

elderly yes but still need to buy odd things, sometimes silly item you need now = choose solely to rely on others to take you to a shop when there free, or try to  get a Taxi?

or use a Electric Tricycle,  it is all about being or trying to be Independent when old 

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

elderly yes but still need to buy odd things, sometimes silly item you need now = choose solely to rely on others to take you to a shop when there free, or try to  get a Taxi

What's wrong with driving your car, it's safe, suits older people. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're not one of those guys who tell foreigners that they need a work permit to cut their lawn and paint their house, no ?

Irrelevant. What if someone on an unisured electric bike, tricycle hits a person and injures them. Who pays.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

… I'm thinking about an e-tricycle.  I'm in Pattaya for a few weeks and I've seen quite a few older men riding these trikes.  They seem to go at a reasonable speed, have room for shopping etc etc.  So where's the catch!?

I appreciate your thoughts and advice about buying an e-trike.  Thanks

Here’s an earlier thread with information that might help:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320222-simple-question/

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The thing about the 3 wheelers is they look like disability vehicles

When we were kids, they were Spasmobiles!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ignis said:

elderly yes but still need to buy odd things, sometimes silly item you need now = choose solely to rely on others to take you to a shop when there free, or try to  get a Taxi?

or use a Electric Tricycle,  it is all about being or trying to be Independent when old 

Yes we are all getting older, i have a soft spot for those Rod Salang side cars, safer than a trike and more versatile than a car

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're not one of those guys who tell foreigners that they need a work permit to cut their lawn and paint their house, no ?

Irrelevant. What if someone on an unisured electric bike, tricycle hits a person and injures them. Who pays.

Valid point...  

What if a cyclist hits someone and injures them, who pays ?

Thats why I have full insurance medical insurance here - because I can't rely on everyone else to conform to the same regulations we have in the West, especially when those regulations are a huge grey area here and so many vehicles which should be insured aren't (while driving, I've been hit by taxi's twice - neither had insurance / neither driver could show a license !!).

The uninsured guy on the 'mobility scooter' is just the tip of the iceberg - BUT... IF the Mobility Scooter could be registered and insured, I'm sure most Westerners would go for that... 

Are these vehicles any slower than the food selling samlor vendors or the wheeled food cart vendors (or the 'broom vendor) walking around in traffic ???

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes we are all getting older, i have a soft spot for those Rod Salang side cars, safer than a trike and more versatile than a car

More versatile than a car ????...    erm..   How exactly ?

If I lived on a tiny Island I might consider one (if cars were not allowed) - I can see their versatility there, but then a quad bike would be better IMO.

I saw a Western family in Trat on one once (Man, Woman, 5 young blond kids) - riding at about 40kmh on the main road while all traffic was whizzing past at 80-90 kmh...   Completely lethal things. 

Just remember the Thai based American utuber who mounted a 100 pound? solar system on the roof of his 70 year old mothers trike as he was worried about range, it tipped over whilst doing a turn breaking her hip. Luckily the 500,000 baht bill was crowdfunded.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

More versatile than a car ????...    erm..   How exactly ?

If I lived on a tiny Island I might consider one (if cars were not allowed) - I can see their versatility there, but then a quad bike would be better IMO.

I saw a Western family in Trat on one once (Man, Woman, 5 young blond kids) - riding at about 40kmh on the main road while all traffic was whizzing past at 80-90 kmh...   Completely lethal things. 

Not in Bangkok, but in a small village setting, even Pattaya is fine, smaller than a car so can sometimes fit in spaces cars can't. In 20 years maybe I'll get one for fun

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Some are just trying to be  a bit Independent, there children and grand children have cars and leave early for work and arrive home late so there home alone for 15+ hours a day

Not so sure mid 80's to well into there 90's would be safer owning a car.  + some have never driven as they lived in a City most of there working life, then moved [out into the sticks] to be cared for by there children/grand children

Like many Chinese things I’d worry about reliability and battery life. We have a couple of e scooters. At best they last a year after which time they start playing up and the battery needing more frequent charging. 

4 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Like many Chinese things I’d worry about reliability and battery life. We have a couple of e scooters. At best they last a year after which time they start playing up and the battery needing more frequent charging. 

How much did the scooters cost, and what type are they.  Guessing the batteries aren't lithium.

Well, you do get what you pay for.  Ours (DECO) is going strong, and haven't really noticed any degradation of the battery, though surely there is a bit.   2 yrs & 8 months going, and motor still under warranty.  Drives like new, and used daily when weather is cooperating.

image.png.ac4430314b4f28df73706ef97970e29a.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, KhunLA said:

If 'Trke', I'd go for this or this

image.png.013e929fcdb0fd31e7940a69056e3cbc.png

We bought one for the wife a year ago, similar to the red model above from a local dealer.  Has the front basket, and a much larger covered rear basket.  Think it was 15K baht.

Many shops carry them, as do Global and HomePro........exactly the same but for labels.  Only used for trips to the supermarket mall, back roads with little to no traffic.

Recharge every couple of weeks.  No problems to report.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

We bought one for the wife a year ago, similar to the red model above from a local dealer.  Has the front basket, and a much larger covered rear basket.  Think it was 15K baht.

Many shops carry them, as do Global and HomePro........exactly the same but for labels.  Only used for trips to the supermarket mall, back roads with little to no traffic.

Recharge every couple of weeks.  No problems to report.

I had a look at a couple in Kamphaeng Phet last month (May) and the problem I found was on the red one the seat was either fully back and I needed arms as long as a gorilla, or it was fully forward and my knees were around my ears. The 4 wheel, 2 seat  green one had no seat adjustment at all. 

20240521_160905.jpg

20240521_161007.jpg

20240521_161049.jpg

On 6/20/2024 at 12:29 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Exactly, I have a 25 year old pick up that I have to use after my stroke (can't drive mc anymore no balance) and these 3 whelers look rather flimsy. So 4 wheels for me.

On 6/20/2024 at 7:29 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Location dependent ... finding parking for a full size car/truck can be a challenge.    Not to mention, buy in, insurance, petrol, just for short local trips.   Literally average ~1000's a month, if not 10+k, just to have, before even using.

I don't know but for soi buahkaow or some parts of jomtien area maybe riding one of these with a big flag thing sticking up from back might be safer for some really physically can barely walk guys than trying to actually walk and dodge all the cars and trucks and bikes etc?  I am amazed that more pedestrians don't get hit walking around half drunk while looking at the girls...or maybe they do and we just don't hear about it?

never say never as someday walking around or getting in/out of baht buses etc may no longer be an option....safe? not really but maybe the really old more feeble guys figure it beats sitting home every night?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Location dependent ... finding parking for a full size car/truck can be a challenge.    Not to mention, buy in, insurance, petrol, just for short local trips.   Literally average ~1000's a month, if not 10+k, just to have, before even using.

SAFETY FIRST........ I understand all the above, these points are noted but your safety has a higher priority. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

SAFETY FIRST........ I understand all the above, your points are noted but your safety has a higher priority. 

All location dependent.  Certainly wouldn't be driving 3 wheeler (mobility) scooter on Sukhomvit rd, (bkk or patts)as might end up like the vid previously posted.  Same with phetkasem rd @ Hua Hin.

Common sense rules.  I'll drive my ebike or E-MB anywhere locally, but limit my time on hwy #4.   Just not pleasant, let alone safe if using often.  Defensive driving keeps you safer, when surrounded be steel.

Some OAP's  appear to like something bigger

others just going to the local shop 2 km trip a little electric bike is just fine..

Another old guy in the Village has a Honda Trike 49cc  still 20 years later still uses it to go to the local shops.

OAP bike.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

I don't know but for soi buahkaow or some parts of jomtien area maybe riding one of these with a big flag thing sticking up from back might be safer for some really physically can barely walk guys than trying to actually walk and dodge all the cars and trucks and bikes etc?  I am amazed that more pedestrians don't get hit walking around half drunk while looking at the girls...or maybe they do and we just don't hear about it?

never say never as someday walking around or getting in/out of baht buses etc may no longer be an option....safe? not really but maybe the really old more feeble guys figure it beats sitting home every night?

I have thought that if/when I get an ETrike/4 wheeler, instead of a flag I think that a piece of blue 1 inch water pipe with 1 or 2 LED strips front and back might be a better option.

Depending on the Etrike battery voltage, I may have to buy a small 12 volt car or motorbike battery to power it.

At least you can be seen from a greater distance, and perhaps a squeezy bicycle horn as an audible warning. Honk honk.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Some OAP's  appear to like something bigger

others just going to the local shop 2 km trip a little electric bike is just fine..

Another old guy in the Village has a Honda Trike 49cc  still 20 years later still uses it to go to the local shops.

OAP bike.jpg

Nice bike, but if he drops it, it will probably take 2 or 3 people just to pick it upright again.

Also, if he is underneath it at the time, road rash would be the least of his problems.

I think it must be a staged or posed photo, as he is not wearing a helmet.

To reply to some of the comments/questions:

- I'm in Pattaya right now, but this e-trike would not be used in Pattaya or any city.  I'm off to live on Koh Lanta (nice clean air for my lungs etc), and would use this trike to ride on sealed roads to the beach, shops etc.

- If I look like a 'spas', (a word from my youth), then that's not an issue because I'm not trying to win any beauty contests.

- As for legality, I have just obtained a letter in Thai from my doctor which states that I'm disabled and unable to ride a 2-wheel bike safely...  (Actually I'm still walking/jogging 5km every day, but that letter could come in handy in the future if a local plod questions why I'm riding an e-trike)

The red one from Lazada looks about right.  Now I just have to see if I can mount my ham radio rig and antenna on it.....

(I downloaded this photo and renamed it 'mad.jpg' because that about sums it up!!)

mad.jpg.2853170dca657f3cade494f91ec4e759.jpg

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2