What is a low fat Thai dish?

Conan The Barbarian

4 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

They add Oyster seasoning in that, which is very high sodium

I add at least 3 teaspoons throughout the day to my water.  It amazes me how most don't need extra salt here in the heat.  If I take it with a bite of a banana I retain much less water than if i drink plain water. 

Form your avatar I deduce you are a lifter which I was also before the gyms closed during Covid.  I bet most serious lifters don't need extra salt unless doing lots of cardio.  Now live in a place without gyms and do body weight exercises. Really miss the atmosphere and the muscle loss!

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I add at least 3 teaspoons throughout the day to my water.  It amazes me how most don't need extra salt here in the heat.  If I take it with a bite of a banana I retain much less water than if i drink plain water. 

Form your avatar I deduce you are a lifter which I was also before the gyms closed during Covid.  I bet most serious lifters don't need extra salt unless doing lots of cardio.  Now live in a place without gyms and do body weight exercises. Really miss the atmosphere and the muscle loss!

Need more sodium as a lifter to. 2500 - 3000mg pr day in Thailand. Some need even more.

• Agree 1

If you work out and like to stay lean as I and some others do, you already probably know what you should eat. Thai food isn't fattening until they add sugar. You can cook with a lot less oil than many I see here do. MSG and garlic are fine, along with other spices. The problem here is if you get used to eating the amount of rice locals ingest, which is way past serving size and it's those carbs that do you in eventually. Most Thai cooking involves vegetables, which are all okay. Pork is used a lot more here than I'm used to back home in the states, where I only used it for deer sausage, but you can find lean pork here, along with the chicken and fish. Frying is done a lot here, and you know that's not healthy or lean eating as too much oil is used and allowed to soak into the food. Like others have said, Pad Krapow is good, along with Fish soup. If you go out to eat, you can ask the cook to use whatever you want, or not to add sugar, which isn't necessary most of the time anyway, as the spices give the food all the flavor you need.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fat is not the problem.

The biggest problem with Thai food is all the seed oils and refined sugar added.

Look at some fish sauce labels for example.  You wouldn't think of fish sauce as having sugar but it does.  I have seen different brands from 1% to 6% added sugar.

There are now some keto fish sauces available.  I have seen Dek Somboon and Squid brand.

I like Sriracha sauce but it is 17% sugar so I don't use it anymore.  I did find Dek Somboon makes a keto version of it too.

Silly thing is they charge you more for not adding sugar to it.  Some of it uses stevia instead.  That's probably more expensive than sugar.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

Most 'salad' dishes can be. for instance, Yam woon sen talay is very low in fat. If you are cooking for yourself, then many things can be cooked with low fat except fried foods of course.

Steamed and sticky rice are. Rendered duck can be as can lean pork loin and skinless chicken if you want meat protein.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

Thai food is full of sugar and unhelthy oil. Traditional food have changed alot the last 20 years unfortunate, and you need to know what to look for to find the more authentic thai food with less sugar and oil.

Funny that most Thais remained slim and fit on their unhealthy diet until western food became available

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

A lot of Thai dishes are cooked with palm oil, which is high in the wrong kind of fats.  If the cook uses a lower fat oil, like coconut oil or light olive oil, many of the standard stir-fried dishes would qualify as low fat.

That was quite funny: "a lower fat oil".

All oil is 100% fat which produces 9 kcal per gram.

What oils are healthier is a different topic, but the OP is looking for low-fat meals to reduce calories.