Krabi Airport Taxi Rip-Off: 20km Trip Costs Tourist 2,500 Baht

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He needed to travel to Krabi City Hall and was quoted a fare of 2,500 baht.

I've been to some large Western airports that post flat taxi fares according to a zone number given for your destination within a radius of the airport. Nothing to negotiate.

In Krabi Airport the government's Department of Airports could develop and post the appropriate zone fares at the taxi cue. Any taxi that refuses cannot operate at the airport.

Don't overthink the fare issue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In many countries there are fixed prices from airport to hotels.. Why not possible in Thailand?? Government should intervene as the taxis are unable to work with fair prices..

They do actually have fixed prices in Chiang Mai. I experienced that about 4 or 5 times within the last years (last time in summer 2022)

Edited by doublezero
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In many countries there are fixed prices from airport to hotels.. Why not possible in Thailand?? Government should intervene as the taxis are unable to work with fair prices..

Chiang Mai manages it. 200 baht from the airport to any hotel within the 'city'. Was 150 baht until fairly recently.

• Agree 2

If Thailand – and prime minister Srettha – wish to do something positive for tourism, they should first of all do something with the overcharged taxis – however Suvarnabhumi (BKK) seems to work well in arrival section – they are the first you meet after arriving in an airport; and a pain for many every time you need transportation during the vacation; and the last you experience before checking in for your return flight...:whistling:

• Agree 1

I understand that all place passenger services have to display the fare to the required destinations, again it is down to the police and airport authorities to make sure the law is followed, oh! sorry did I say the police...' my bag!'  Oh, foolish of me to think that should/might happen. even through it works at DM and swampy in BKK 

• Like 1

The bigger airports have an airport bus like in the west, and in Bangkok you can take the bus or sky train.  Phuket has one but it doesn’t have convenient running times. Great service in the UK where you can get the National Express buses that run all day and are quite cheap. Same at Nice airport and all French airports where you have the airport shuttles.What Thailand needs , and not only for tourists is a good public transport system . Imagine in Phuket with all the tourists resorts, restaurants etc employing Thais, their biggest problem is getting their staff there and home . A Thai friend of mine who has a few businesses had to buy a townhouse style house to lodge all his staff . As he said, letting his waitresses and cooks drive up Kata Hill ( or Patong) after midnight on little scooters is life endangering.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities’ quick response is hoped to restore confidence among tourists visiting Krabi, safeguarding both the visitors’ experience and the local tourism sector.

Unless the police nabbed this taxi driver already. Then there was no quick response. I do not think they will bother looking at video footage in the airport to seek out who the driver was. No harm was done and no money lost. So no charges can be made unless the man follows though. But really it is his word against the drivers now.