Is Thailand a good place to settle down for the rest of your life?

RolandRat

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

No beaches 

Hello members:   3 Seven eleven hotdogs to those who can name the alter EGO who is posting these   3 or 4 word banal trolls .... with the telltale emoji 

we were all onto him ,  so now a new username .   lonely and sad :coffee1:

Edited by rumak

40 minutes ago, watthong said:

Wh would anyone in their sane mind would want to do that? 1) Remember, "You can take the girl out of Isaan, but you can't take Isaan out of the girl..." 2) Not to mention giving her the  heretofore un-asked for opportunity to put you in the rather sobering context as far as male (farang) specimen goes. Such blunder could be catastrophic.

I have been married to a Thai woman for 21 years moved back to OZ many years ago the only time we talk about Thailand when we book our next holiday 

I liked the idea of living in Thailand up until very recently.  Not just because of the tax and visa hassles, but because of the air pollution.  That keeps getting worse every year.   Now I am looking at the Philippines.  The infrastructure and food is not as good, but the air quality is a lot better on average, and no tax/visa hassles.

Edited by shdmn

5 hours ago, watthong said:

Wh would anyone in their sane mind would want to do that? 1) Remember, "You can take the girl out of Isaan, but you can't take Isaan out of the girl..." 2) Not to mention giving her the  heretofore un-asked for opportunity to put you in the rather sobering context as far as male (farang) specimen goes. Such blunder could be catastrophic.

Tell that to the thousands who live in the US with their Thai wives, many of them working in restaurants they both opened. Seven actually I know personally in San Antonio. When women leave Isaan, they rarely come back.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

I'll probably get slammed for this but I think this is the most appalling attitude. Why bother getting married if you are PLANNING to use the services of prostitutes on the side, behind your wife's back? Getting married under such circumstances makes no sense to me, and strikes me as dreadfully disrespectful to your wife to be. Have you thought that perhaps the single life might be more for you?

Some want a slave for the rest of the work around the house

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, RolandRat said:

I am thinking of getting a Thai wife and settling down. What do you guys think?

On #1 choose wisely because $ could become the issuse. On #2 settle down first as a solo act and see "do I want to stay for the long term'.  In 7 years in Chiang Mai I have spoken to many long term foreigners and have learned from what they have told me.  The most im;portant lesson was have a plan B or have the means go back home on short notice. One could be here for 10 years or 10 months but most are treated the same. No benefits for being a long term and loyal resident of the Land of Smiles.  Unless one pays for the LTR or even the Elite Visa most of us live on a 1 year Visa extension cycle.  

13 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Come in your prime or shortly after and you have a very good chance to make a successful marriage.

All true. I moved in permanently at 39. I will most likely leave before I am too old. Thailand is not for old decrepit men doing visa runs and getting screwed by health insurance. All the women I dated here were winners and not a single one milked me for money. 

The latest wife is 100% Chinese with MBA.

They all love to say it "Yours is different". No....yours is. Thai men don't marry hookers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Celsius said:

All true. I moved in permanently at 39. I will most likely leave before I am too old. Thailand is not for old decrepit men doing visa runs and getting screwed by health insurance. All the women I dated here were winners and not a single one milked me for money. 

The latest wife is 100% Chinese with MBA.

They all love to say it "Yours is different". No....yours is. Thai men don't marry hookers.

If you are living long time in Thailand why are you doing visa runs?

100% Chinese with MBA.

:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

I'll probably get slammed for this but I think this is the most appalling attitude. Why bother getting married if you are PLANNING to use the services of prostitutes on the side, behind your wife's back? Getting married under such circumstances makes no sense to me, and strikes me as dreadfully disrespectful to your wife to be. Have you thought that perhaps the single life might be more for you?

IMO getting married is the most appalling attitude. One is far better not being subject to some woman that only cares about transferring as much of your money to herself as possible.

If one wants a woman as a bed companion they are not too hard to find in LOS and when they become too demanding or stop having sex they can be easily replaced.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you are living long time in Thailand why are you doing visa runs?

100% Chinese with MBA.

:cheesy:

Yes. Exactly. 100% Chinese with MBA.

Aren't you the guy who was dating/married to one of the prostitutes who cheated and left Thailand in a hurry?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Your situation in Thailand depends on the kind of people you live among.

Most farangs come here too late in life.

Too late to master the language and achieve some degree of literacy.

Too late to attract anything better than a mercenary woman and subsequently become a cash cow for her greedy relatives.

Come in your prime or shortly after and you have a very good chance to make a successful marriage.

Thais take care of their own, and that would include a farang who has lived among them for many years as a husband and father.

Family means everything here.

Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody.

Farang tao-nahn eng.

Better an unmarried nobody than an exploited somebody. Nothing to do with age. The one in my 30s was just as rotten as the one in my 60s.

• Sad 1

Yes, retiring here/TH was worked at very well for myself.  Would I pick TH again if 45 again, with what I know now, probably not.   Do I regret retiring in TH,  not at all, and no plans or desire to leave, which is more due to being settled in nicely, (wife & daughter), age, and laziness.

I would not retire or live at Hua Hin, or anywhere north of.   If mandatory, I would leave TH.   We live about 1+ hr south of HH, in a rural setting.   Only a couple months of almost acceptable air pollution, with AQI, usually less than 100, though PM2.5 is silly high at times.   But nothing like north of us, and we avoid travel northward during non rainy season, it's that bad, to the point of being unhealthy.

Just don't liquidate any RE holding in home country, till sure TH is for you, and that may take living here 2-5 yrs.  Living & holidaying in a location is completely different.

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yes. Exactly. 100% Chinese with MBA.

Aren't you the guy who was dating/married to one of the prostitutes who cheated and left Thailand in a hurry?

The laughing was for thinking that she would be "different".

No, That wasn't me. I got divorced, but not because she "cheated", and I didn't leave in a hurry. I stayed on a year by myself before I left.

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

We know of your attitudes towards marriage from personal experience. I myself have had a few that didn't work out, but men are simply better off settling down with a woman. Of course one they can trust. Bed companions don't allow one to get close with another human, which is the main reason we're here. The wrong person can jade you, and the right one can make you grow. I'll never give up until I can find that right one, and that's one who doesn't look at you just as money but a companion to grow old with. Money can't buy what a person really needs.

Both my disasters were fine for a few years, so how was I to know 4 years before it went sour what they were like?

I've been better off without one than I was with one. Loneliness is preferable to living with someone that doesn't like one.

I accept that there are good women out there, and some guys get lucky. I was just never that lucky.

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

As is case with every human, You and I included, 

I didn't reject them first. Had they been decent people I'd have stayed with them till the end. Some of us know the meaning of loyalty and commitment.

I know there are good women out there, but the ones I knew were always married to someone else.

Edited by thaibeachlovers