Study Shows Young People Have Misconceptions About E-Cigarettes

snoop1130

5-Reasons-Why-CBD-Vape-Pen-Might-Be-the-Best-Choice-for-Beginners.jpg

A recent study has revealed considerable misconceptions among Thai youth about e-cigarettes. Over 60% think that vaping can aid in quitting smoking, and more than half see nicotine as beneficial. The survey was carried out between May 1st and May 27th by the Department of Health Service Support (DHSS), in association with the Thailand Youth Institute and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The study involved over 40,000 participants aged between 6 and 30 years old.

The findings show that 18% of those surveyed use e-cigarettes, many having mistaken beliefs about vaping. Specifically, 61% believe that it can help stop smoking traditional cigarettes, 51% view nicotine as healthy, and half believe that e-cigarettes are safer than regular smoking. Moreover, a quarter of the respondents think e-cigarettes don't contain nicotine, 23% mistakenly think it is legal to use them, and 12% incorrectly believe that the vapors produced are risk-free.

In light of these results, the DHSS has begun efforts to educate people about the dangers of e-cigarettes and correct these wrong views, through the GEN-H Health Hero network.

Meanwhile, authorities in the province of Surat Thani have confiscated illegal vaping products worth 8 million baht. Acting on a lead, the customs officers intercepted a shipment on Highway 41 in Tha Chang district. The shipment, heading from Hat Yai to Bangkok, included close to a million illegal cigarettes and over 3,800 e-cigarettes and liquids.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-26

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Meanwhile, authorities in the province of Surat Thani have confiscated illegal vaping products worth 8 million baht. Acting on a lead,

ya is that so ? 

meanwhile you can find dozens of sellers along sukhumvit. never mind the rest of the country. 

acting on a lead eh ? 

"The Toll of Tobacco in Thailand", August 2017

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/problem/toll-global/asia/thailand

• 20.7% of the adult population (age 15+) smokes tobacco (men 40.5%; women 2.2%)
  • 3.3% of the adult population uses smokeless tobacco (men 2.5%; women 3.9%)

Among youth (age 13-15):

• 15.0% currently use tobacco products (boys 21.8%; girls 8.1%)
  • 14% smoke cigarettes (boys 20.7%; girls 7.1%)
  • 2.7% use smokeless tobacco (boys 4.1%; girls 1.3%)
  • 38.6% are exposed to secondhand smoke in public places
  • 33.8% are exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes

Make e-cigarettes/vaping a government owned enterprise and watch it become acceptable?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/27/2024 at 9:07 AM, Srikcir said:

"The Toll of Tobacco in Thailand", August 2017

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/problem/toll-global/asia/thailand

• 20.7% of the adult population (age 15+) smokes tobacco (men 40.5%; women 2.2%)
  • 3.3% of the adult population uses smokeless tobacco (men 2.5%; women 3.9%)

Among youth (age 13-15):

• 15.0% currently use tobacco products (boys 21.8%; girls 8.1%)
  • 14% smoke cigarettes (boys 20.7%; girls 7.1%)
  • 2.7% use smokeless tobacco (boys 4.1%; girls 1.3%)
  • 38.6% are exposed to secondhand smoke in public places
  • 33.8% are exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes

Make e-cigarettes/vaping a government owned enterprise and watch it become acceptable?

I find it hard to believe (as a smoker myself) that 40.5% of adult Thai men smoke - that wouldn't be my observational experience.  

I am sure they would love to make it a State Owned Enterprise, they could partner up with their good friends at CP and manage/regulate vape sales via 7-Eleven & Lotus'ssss.

No doubt there are some major vested interests in continuing the status quo of vapes being on the black market...and I don't just mean protectionism from TTM. 

If you think about it, it is actually quite ludicrous that you can legally buy marijuana on nearly every street corner in Bangkok but not legal vapes.

Vapes being on the black market only makes regulation and control even more difficult. 

As so often in Thailand, the dogmatic overrides the pragmatic...:coffee1:

On 6/26/2024 at 4:07 PM, snoop1130 said:

A recent study has revealed considerable misconceptions among Thai youth about e-cigarettes. Over 60% think that vaping can aid in quitting smoking, and more than half see nicotine as beneficial. The survey was carried out between May 1st and May 27th by the Department of Health Service Support (DHSS), in association with the Thailand Youth Institute and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. The study involved over 40,000 participants aged between 6 and 30 years old.

Vaping bad.  Cigarettes good.

Signed,
The Thai Tobacco Monolopy

On 6/27/2024 at 7:04 AM, wombat said:

If they contain nicotine then they are addictive.

The hardest thing I have ever done was to withdraw from nicotine.

Me too.  Nicotine addiction is as bad as heroin and kills more people each year than the latter.  Over time cigarette smoking is deadly.

I really detest the hypocrisy. The Thai government and their health ministry go all out to spew medical propaganda about vaping while giving cigarettes a full pass.

If vaping is illegal then cigarettes should be illegal for the same reasons.  Given the amount of tar and other volatiles breathed in from cigarette smoking, cigarettes are multiple times worse for a person's lungs.  Both are nicotine delivery systems and both have then goal of addicting a user to their product for life.