Name one recipe that you cook at home whilst living in Thailand.

ubonr1971

On 6/27/2024 at 5:10 PM, Robert Paulson said:

You guys doing the wraps / Mexican you gotta give makimg the tortillas a try. I’ve only done flour myself. There are some hard to find ingredients for corn, at least relative to back home. 

Making tortillas is a pain I’ll admit. But it’s worth it. I roll mine out and they always stick to the cutting board.its a nightmare but in the end they taste real, real good. I’m just not into the processed tortillas myself, esp at the prices we pay here

Try baking paper to roll them out, or just get a press. 

Just use corn flour, they come out okay.

And use lard. 

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

please give me steps for how you make it with prawns. thanks

Going out on the limb here, and say ... simply swap the protein with the prawns.   Wouldn't be my choice though, as prawns are too delicate, flavor wise, to come through the spiciness of GraPao.   Matter of fact, for me, most proteins are, especially if using ground meat.

Why a prefer a chunkier stewed/braised beef, or crispy pork as the protein for GraPao.

If you're not a rice fan, I swap out the rice for egg noodles usually.   Or pasta, although I'm getting away from most pasta (wheat) intake of late.  I do a lot of Asain fusion that way.   Not a white rice fan at all.

Macaroni, with grinded, chopped meat, onions, bell pepper, eggs

The meat you can buy almost everywhere and you bake it. Just a very, very little oil, for covering bottom pan, as it can bake in its own fat.

If its too much molton fat leaving, you can poor it out. What ever you like.

I get bell peppers from Makro, dont understand why not more stores are selling it. Probably not that known in Thailand?

I love it. Guess it could be a good market in Thailand. Once found them in street vending (self grown).

Was the first time ever, I made the mac for the wife in Thailand, years ago

The onions fry in oil until, regular stir, getting brown, then add bell pepper pieces to it and keep frying and stirring.

mostly I dont cut it real small but in bigger parts, up to you.

When too small it can get some mushy, which I dont want.

Of course many chilly peppers and garlic, again up to your taste, mixed up in the vege frying. Mix it in when you are doing the bell peppers. When that mix is done and your grinded meat is done, mix it together.

More veges? You can add tauge at the very last end of frying veges. Tauge doesnt need that much time and I like it crunchy.

The heat of the done mix would be enough to make it little softer, but keeps it crunchy.

Also the bell pepper, just slightly to getting soft. But what ever you like.

The mac is done and water is drained and it stands in pan. Add soya sauce (Ill have salty, but there are many kinds sweet, salt) in the mac and stir it to your taste. You could also stir in a can of tomato puree. All up to you and your liking.

Then take the done grinded meat with veges mix and stir it in the mac.

Then I also add in chopped eggs, added it up at the end, then GENTLE stir it in the macaroni mix.

The eggs I already cooked before.

Sometimes im organized and all is cut for processing, but mostly I ll go on the fly.

I wash the eggs and put them in (same ) pan as where mac is going to be cooked in, with some salt.

When the water starts to cook (with eggs in it), Ill add in the mac. Saves pan and energy. Lit on the pan and controlling the heat. Stir once in while. When mac is done , then sure the eggs are done. Fish them out then and put in bowl with cold water, I let them cool down and scale (first cracked on all sites) come off better. OK more difficult when real fresh eggs.

Started mac and eggs then I also had started the pan for meat about the same time. 

All depends on how many gas pits I have, improvise by time what to do first. In Thailand I do with 2 pits.

1) eggs and mac 2) meat. Meat done, take it off and put on wok for stir frying.

It is doable all in a row, improvising with 2 pits. But you are on the run then for a period of time.

In time IM waiting for meat to be done, I cut onions, bell peppers, garlic, chili peppers in that order.

In between times stir mac and meat. But that is on the fly, you can prepare all in front of course.

However I hate doing dishes and preparing cost more bowls, so bigger washing.

As when meat is done and pit is free for wok, the first ones are onions to fry, takes longer time.

And the frying is always on highest flame.

Bacalao 

Dried salt cod from Norway, potato, onion, garlic, tomato, Chilli, optional herbs, olives, olive oil

Fantastic

https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/food-and-drink/the-norwegian-cookbook/bacalao/

Smoked dried salt  lamb chops called Pinnekjøt

https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/food-and-drink/the-norwegian-cookbook/recipe-pinnekjott/

Every district and family who eat this as a tradition, have their own twist and recipes, not unlike Italians and their pasta saus. 

I know you requested less meat, but this is all I got. 

Pattaya Bachelor's Chicken Divan recipe. (my name for it) 

2 - 3 cooked, cubed, chicken breasts. I boil for 20 minutes, or if I'm out and about and don't feel like cooking, I buy 2 gai yaang from the stall at the Buakhao food market north of Treetown; 100฿

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup 

3/4 of the emptied can above mayo

3 slices of 7-11 bread cut into 1/2" cubes. Or a cup or more of croutons if you're a real chef. 

Broccoli florets. Not sure of the amount, but Friendship sells a big bag of frozen, unlabeled for 85฿ and I use about 1/3rd of the bag. It's a steal compared to the fresh broccoli. I throw them in boiling water for a few minutes, strain. 

About 2 teaspoons of curry powder. I just throw some in, probably more than this because I like the flavor. 

Tablespoon of lemon juice. I just squirt a couple seconds worth from one of those lemon juice sqeezy things because real lemons are expensive here. 

A little milk if all that's too thick for you. I use about 1/4 cup. 

Red Pepper flakes, as in the kind you put on pizza in the West; not prik bon, but up-to-you . I used to add them after, on my serving, as my ex-TGF didn't like (optional) 

Combine all that in a large saucepan, heat, and eat. 

Notes: Original recipe had this baked in a baking pan with real croutons of course. The pan was filled with the cooked broccoli and cubed chicken. The soupy, crouton sauce part covered the broccoli and chicken in the pan. All topped with cheddar cheese until heated through. (I do without the cheese cuz I'm on a diet.) 

Can eat over rice with/without bread cubes if you're so inclined. (Not sure of bread vs rice calorie count, but this is not a calorie counter's meal.) 

This was the only falang dish my ex-TGF would eat because she thought it must be healthy having broccoli in it. 🤣

On 6/29/2024 at 3:48 PM, ubonr1971 said:

please give me steps for how you make it with prawns. thanks

Basically just substitute  prawns for meat. But in detail:

1. Buy a packet or sachet of Thai holy basil stir-fry sauce / paste. Around 20 baht.

2. Buy (or gather if growing in you garden if you have one) a a good sized bunch of holy basil in your local market. 5 or 10 baht.

3. buy about half kilo of raw prawns ( about 250grms per person depending on their size, obviously not too large!) or precooked ones ( 200 grms if cooked and peeled). 

4. Back home peel and slice / chop thinly several cloves of garlic, split lengthways 2 or 3 red chillies and deseed, chop about half quite small, the rest slice Julienne thin lengthways for decorating the finished dish. Throw the chopped chillis in a wok along with the chopped garlic and a tablespoon or so of cooking oil. Don't fire up yet!

5. Remove the basil leaves from the stalks and put a couple of leafy sprigs to one side for decorating the finished dish. Throw away the stalks 

5. Wash, de-head, peel and de-tail too if you wish the prawns, discard or put these to one side and boil them up separately to make a stock.

6 Now fire up the wok. Stir fry the garlic and chillis you threw in just enough to give the oil flavour then add to taste the paste/ sauce you bought and stir vigorously for a short time. Chuck in your prawns now if raw and stir fry until pink, chuck in your pile of picked basil leaves and cooked prawns then if using, add a dash of unfermented fish sauce to taste, stir vigorously for a few minutes perhaps adding just a dash of water, preferably the boiled prawn head water, to help it along. Turn off the cooking ring and serve in to a suitably sized bowl for sharing or over plated cooked rice for individual  serves. Decorate with the julienned chilli strips and a sprig or two of basil. 

Voilà!

Many like to top off the dish, meat or prawn, with a fried egg,  crispy round the edges but still runny yolk. You can fry these in the wok and put to one side before everything else.

I find ordinary Thai basil leaves also from your market work fine too. Greener, bigger leaf, slightly different flavour which ( sacrilegious!) I think I prefer!