Where Did Buonissimo Go?

nikster

Buonissimo was an Italian restaurant/store on Mae Jo road. As I have heard, the main importer of italian food for a lot of places.

Now, it's gone, the building has been completely vacated, and there is no sign about moving etc.

Does anyone know where it went? Did it move to another place? Disappear into thin air?

The restaurant at Buonissimo was IMHO the best Italian in CM. Truly amazing food.

Tx for any info...

I never went to the old place but recently visited the new site - 45 Charoenraj Road - past Riverside, past Bears Den etc for another km or so - it is on the left at some point down there. It's an enormous place now on the river and i think could seat 400 or so! Phone 053 266 431-2. Enjoy.

Stephano of Da Stephano has opened a new vegetarian/healthy Italian restaurant on the intersection near AUA language school. Very good and they also have a bunch of meat dishes.

A vegetarian restaurant with meat dishes is my kind of vegetarian restaurant. :o

"...they ran an ad in City Life touting the fact that it is a vegetarian restaurant. Most of the dishes have meat. Very strange!"

In a case like this, really it's not proper advertising. I'm no vegetarian, but as far as labeling and food go, I believe in truth in advertising. Best call this a 'restaurant with plenty of vegetarian dishes', not a vegetarian restaurant.

Big difference between vegetarian restaurant and vegetarian offerings.

" Maybe calling it Vegetarian is just some kind of a cultural misunderstanding? :o

The cultural understanding* is actually "Hey, let's get every Euro, Pound, Dollar Etc we can off the vegetarian deals we have." It's good mktg in one sense, though likely to upset the extremists the same way telling a vegetarian that you're one too, except you eat fish and eggs will. Purists may disagree philosophically. Better to advertise "full Italian menu with many exciting vegetarian dishes on hand as well." Honesty in advertising always best, and it shows sensitivity, whereas the other doesn't.

BTW... to rile up the vegetarians I meet in town sometimes I'll tell them I'm a veg too. 'Yeah, yesterday I was completely vegetarian, and also on Monday too - oh wait, actually I had chicken that night. Anyway I was vegetarian at least every other day last week." It gets looks like "You must be f&*ing kidding me!" and usually starts a debate. Of course I'm just trying to get a rise out of 'em and have no care other than to see them bite.

Note that the new place is closer to the Superhighway than it is to where Bear Den and so on are. So you could just as easily reach it coming from the Superhighway, coming from the Mae Jo intersection you turn left on to the road along the river (Fa Ham Rd I believe) and then it will be on your right hand side. From town it'll be on the left, obviously.

I've been there and it's just as nice as always.. And even more astounding, the prices are the same too, which is pretty unexpected for the location and size of the place.

Buonissimo was an Italian restaurant/store on Mae Jo road. As I have heard, the main importer of italian food for a lot of places.

Now, it's gone, the building has been completely vacated, and there is no sign about moving etc.

Does anyone know where it went? Did it move to another place? Disappear into thin air?

The restaurant at Buonissimo was IMHO the best Italian in CM. Truly amazing food.

Tx for any info...

http://www.buonissimo.co.th/contact.htm

I wonder , sorry bit of topic , how much do you pay for a descent dish Buonissimo for example ?

I ask this cause it would be nice to try something else , I might try anyway but just want to know .

I do not want to go with my family of four and pay a check bill of 2000 baht or more comprende ?

Thai food is always great for me anyway , but good Italian is great stuff .

thanks for any :o

If you don't partake from the wine list then it's really quite affordable. It also depends what you order; family of four sounds good because that often means some pizza orders, which are cheap; 120-150 baht for a big thin crust pizza. The fancier Italian food can cost more per dish especially if it involves imported ingredients.. So you can spend what you want, if you stick to some pizza & pasta dishes then it'll be rather cheap. But you can just as easily go for the works; have appetizers, proper main courses, some nice wines.. then the bill goes up fast. :o

I stopped by that new "vegetarian" restaurant by Stephano when it first opened because they ran an ad in City Life touting the fact that it is a vegetarian restaurant. Most of the dishes have meat. Very strange!

Stefano not Stephano ... :o

Tx for any info...

Their website does not mention their new location or phone numbers.

If you don't partake from the wine list then it's really quite affordable. It also depends what you order; family of four sounds good because that often means some pizza orders, which are cheap; 120-150 baht for a big thin crust pizza. The fancier Italian food can cost more per dish especially if it involves imported ingredients.. So you can spend what you want, if you stick to some pizza & pasta dishes then it'll be rather cheap. But you can just as easily go for the works; have appetizers, proper main courses, some nice wines.. then the bill goes up fast. :o

Oh thanks , interesting to know, it is cheap is it ? Pizza Hut gives us buy 1 free 1 , but its still 380 baht .

But a pizza from a real Italian , is a different story ofcourse and allright to pay more for that also).

Is PUM PUI reastaurant also not an Italian ? Now I start to wonder where all I should try our appetite ?

Pum Pui is also an Italian. The reason it comes up here is because Sergio, the owner of Buonissimo started Pum Pui long ago. He then sold it to go run his imported delicatessen shops. And recently opened this big place, it's only been open for about 2 months I guess.

Buonissimo's new location is in Fa Ham on the Eastern bank of the Ping river, on the same street as Chiang Mai's two most famous Khao Soi places, Lamduan and Samoe Jai.

Driving on the Superhighway passing Lanna Hospital on your right hand side, take a left before crossing the bridge over the river, and follow the road for a little while. Buonissimo will be on your right. If you reach said Khao Soi places, you've gone too far.

I especially recommend their mutton. Superb.

All in all, it is very affordable for that kind of environment and quality of food.

Edited by weary

Tx for any info...

Their website does not mention their new location or phone numbers.

When i click on it, it shows the address and telephone numbers. Address: 111/5 Moo 3, Chiang Mai Prao Road

Tel: (053) 853098-9

Fax: (053) 247346, 849744

Edited by Austhaied

Driving on the Superhighway passing Lanna Hospital on your right hand side, take a left before crossing the bridge over the river, and follow the road for a little while. Buonissimo will be on your right. If you reach said Khao Soi places, you've gone too far.

Not Lanna but the old Ram 2 Hospital (new name escapes me). If you pass Lanna you already crossed the river.

Drive along the frontage road. Pass the Mai Jo intersection and old Ram 2 Hospital on the right and turn left along the side of the river.

They do SPECIALIZE in Italian vegetarian cuisine and have a lot of good dishes that I haven't seen elsewhere. Maybe calling it Vegetarian is just some kind of a cultural misunderstanding? :o

Goes back to the joke where the vegetarian guy "loves (literally) vegetables so much" that he eats only meat.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the new phone number? The numbers on the website are not in use anymore.

I have Buonissimo's new business card. The address is given as:

425 Charoenraj Rd, Tambon Faham

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

The phone numbers are: