Thai PM Faces Conflict Claims Over Real Estate Policy Change

webfact

Thai PM Faces Conflict Claims 

It doesn't make any difference the foreighner still isn't allowed to Own anything 100 % so why the BS.

The Pm better watch his Butt with all them shares in his daughters name ,they are in her name but she won't have anything to say or do about/with  them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Since when was Beeching anything to do with road building?

That's the story I heard from angry railway enthusiasts.

Your question and curiosity took me to Wikipedia.

It seem he had nothing to do with roads atall.

He was a scientist who worked on armament and zip fasteners in amongst other things.

24 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

That's the story I heard from angry railway enthusiasts.

Your question and curiosity took me to Wikipedia.

It seem he had nothing to do with roads atall.

He was a scientist who worked on armament and zip fasteners in amongst other things.

Yes, it was the government minister who appointed Beeching, Ernest Marples, who was the roadbuilder:

"His period as Minister of Transport was controversial. He both oversaw significant road construction (he opened the first section of the M1 motorway) and the closure of a considerable portion of the national railway network with the Beeching cuts. His involvement in the road construction business Marples Ridgway, of which he had been managing director, led to concerns regarding possible conflict of interest. In later life, Marples was elevated to the peerage before fleeing to Monaco at very short notice to avoid prosecution for tax fraud."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Marples

Wiki entry makes entertaining reading:

"The diaries reported the transport minister's fetish for being whipped while dressed in women's clothing, as described in great detail by one of the prostitutes who had provided these services to Marples, and confirmed at the time by her detailed knowledge of the interior of Marples' home where the events took place. The story was suppressed and did not appear in Denning's final report"

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

What might be the reasons for buying a condo in Thailand? To live in with the world wide taxation hanging over your head? 

As a vacation home? Maybe, but I would like to know about major changes that are put to shareholder vote, and I would want voting rights. 

As a rental for investment purposes? Well I wouldn't. 

What I would do is to visit some old condos 30 to 50 years old, and see that shape they are in and what sort of charges one might be hit with to fix them structurally and aesthetically.

6 hours ago, bobbin said:

Citizenship for farang? Pull the other one..

I'd settle for a residency card after 22 years of year to year renewals..  🤥

Yes. Agree,

Hong Kong, where I am at the moment, it's 7 years, 5 minute "interview ",  sign 1 piece of paper and then Permanent Resident forever (providing 1 'touch and go' at least every 3 years.)

And, being over 70, $2 fares (9THB) virtually anywhere on buses,trains and ferries etc.

No concerns regarding money in the bank, property ownership or being able to speak and read Cantonese !

Edited by orchidfan
sorry, recorded twice. please delete second listing

It does make sense to address the ability of foreign buyers to work and contribute to the country they can buy property and live in.Otherwise you will end up with a lot of old retirees and people who are willing to bend or break the law to earn a living here .I realize there are legitimate ways to work and invest here but none of them give any long-term confidence or the ability to feel safe .I don't believe even permanent residency gives you and automatic right to work or own land or own more than 49% of a business.Without changes to those policies foreigners are not encouraged to buy. I also think it would improve the quality of applicants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Thailand is not a leberal step forward the maximum foreign ownership of condominium units in Thailand from the current 49% to 75%,but another step bacward which lead to discrimination against foreigners.

This is far populist right policy to set your limit only to 75% and not to 100%.

Do you want to pay 100% of battery car price and actually this car to belong you only 75%?

If you buy something then you are the only one owner of it. Owner 75%?

Is it justice? You pay 100% and it belongs you 75%?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

This is the nature of any Shinawatra government. Self interest above all other considerations.

Thailand is full of self interest, from top to bottom,  but it's not alone, the whole world is, and it's getting worse, but I would still prefer Thailand, not to many regulations,  but that's getting worse .

10 hours ago, Cardano said:

24 years of this rubbish for me, so 96 times reporting same address. Last week submitted my 20th extension based on marriage (to the same wife) and every year they still send their bloody checker detective to make sure we live where we say, take some selfies with him and embarassingly have to provide a witness to verify on oath that we are a happily married couple. Most inane immigration laws I've ever coma across.

Totally agree.

Well, the market is "sluggish" and performing below (who's?) expectations - it seems. 

Of course it could be interpreted as a conflict of interest but the counter reaction could be that all those unsold properties are taken up by the semi-divine. Another possibility could be, that the market faces an oversupply - maybe. 

Nobody has addressed the fact that this PM in this article simply transfered millions of shares to his daughter,, but the real PM Mr Peta who the thais voted in was railroaded out of the job the people wanted him to do because his father died and left him shares of a company closed years ago,, now the courts have ruled that he was free of any wrong doing so why is this Hermin Munster looking criminal still running this country into the ground,, it's time for new blood. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Of course it's a conflict... the PM made his fortune on real estate development. His only ideas are geared to reinvigorate that market. Largely because it's the ONLY thing he understands (otherwise, he's the worst political leader THA has had in decades, maybe ever).  If he really wants to get hit with conflict charges, reshuffle the TRD (and sack that nutter who wants a worldwide tax scheme), and revert the tax laws that changed 1-Jan that are now holding the market back... why not, in for a penny, in for a pound.

"he's the worst political leader THA has had in decades,"  What???? Don't you remember the also unelected soldier who led that illegal coup in 2014 and stayed in charge of this backward third world country for 9 years?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yes, I liked Prayuth's government better than this one. I wouldn't use the D-word for it, but I often wonder if other current politicians have precisely that in mine.  Now, why did I prefer Prayuth?

Electricity prices were cheaper

Inflation was low

Immigration was stable, with no major changes

There was no remittance tax

There was no proposal for a worldwide income tax

Prayuth did a better job in foreign policy, while being pro China he walked the line between China and the US better than does the Shin government

Didn't have government regulations about mobile phones that could cause you to lose your number

While Prayuth was PM I never had a flood cover my first floor for two months as it did under the Shinawatras

What about all the money grabbing from the unelected soldier and his medical profession and hotel owning buddies during the Chinese virus?

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"he's the worst political leader THA has had in decades,"  What???? Don't you remember the also unelected soldier who led that illegal coup in 2014 and stayed in charge of this backward third world country for 9 years?

Worse that Prayut... there have been 14 coups since 1932... and there has been corruption and fraud in Thai politics for just as long (if not longer). Prayut didn't invent either of those things. But with Prayut at least we knew what we were getting.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

What about all the money grabbing from the unelected soldier and his medical profession and hotel owning buddies during the Chinese virus?

I'm unaware of any extensive "money grabbing." If you have documentation, I'd be willing to listen and learn.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Paris333 said:

If you buy something then you are the only one owner of it. Owner 75%?

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the proposal? At the moment you can buy a condo and 100% own it. However, only a total of 49% of all the condos in the building can be foreign owned.

It is proposed that the level be increased to 75%, making more condos (+26%) available for foreigner purchase. However, if you buy a unit in this 26% allocation you have no voting rights at all

• Agree 1

On 6/29/2024 at 7:21 PM, Cardano said:

24 years of this rubbish for me, so 96 times reporting same address. Last week submitted my 20th extension based on marriage (to the same wife) and every year they still send their bloody checker detective to make sure we live where we say, take some selfies with him and embarassingly have to provide a witness to verify on oath that we are a happily married couple. Most inane immigration laws I've ever coma across.

Well just had the immigration detective at the house this morning and went through the usual palaver plus a couple of surprises. First one was when after taking his usual photos he asked the wife and me to change our clothes, when the wife asked why he said to take another set of photos so that he didn't have to come back in 3 months time, he said this was a new rule from Bangkok due to a substantial increase of fraudulent extensions based on marriage mainly from russian and chinese nationals. Second surprise was when the wife asked him if it was really necessary to do this every year his response was "Yes unless you have a child". This totally threw me especially when asked why he said he didn't know, just another Bangkok rule. 

19 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the proposal? At the moment you can buy a condo and 100% own it. However, only a total of 49% of all the condos in the building can be foreign owned.

It is proposed that the level be increased to 75%, making more condos (+26%) available for foreigner purchase. However, if you buy a unit in this 26% allocation you have no voting rights at all

You don't have any rights here anyway, even if your'e led to believe you have.

• Haha 1