Why are so many foreigners residing in Thailand problematic types?

123Stodg

With a Long History in Thailand:

As someone who has been visiting Thailand since 2004, I've witnessed many fascinating changes in the Kingdom. Back then, English wasn't as widely spoken, but its prominence as the global business language is undeniable.

Shifting Travel Landscape:

Flying from the US to Thailand used to be much easier. Multiple flights from major cities like New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco created healthy competition, resulting in lower fares. Now, despite advancements in long-haul aircraft like those from Airbus and Boeing, there are fewer options for travelers.

Respectful Integration:

As for visitors in the Kingdom, it's important for everyone to respect Thai culture. Perhaps airlines flying into Thailand could consider creating short in-flight movies in the departing languages. These movies could introduce Thai cultural norms and highlight that visitors are guests with visa requirements. It would be a wonderful way to promote responsible and respectful tourism.

12 hours ago, VBF said:

Trouble is that AI has overtaken moderation.

I am inclined to agree with @richard_smith237 when he opines that the OP is an AI effort, but if you don't have AI in mind, it looks very genuine and the points made in it could be that of a genuine poster.

Things to note are that the poster is very new and yet the post is very well presented and laid out.

AI is a great tool, but like most innovations it can be and is being hijacked for bad rather than good.  'Twas ever thus.

If the OP is an AI effort it is spectacular. Even then I think a lot of user input had to go into refining it. All the AI counterarguments posted here seem hamfisted in comparision.

All the points OP made are spot on.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, digger70 said:

Isn't that the same  with foreigners in Any Country?

This is nothing new. why worry one can't change that.

Humans in general are often dreadful beasts. It's not just retirees and tourists. Yep, "unpleasant, criminal, or otherwise problematic" describes people from almost anywhere. From my experience, it describes a lot of Thais, mostly men.  There are, of course, plenty of (as 'Murica's future megalomaniacal dictator describes) "fine people on both sides". 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

It's completely out of control at the moment. A mixture of Thai's operating a very soft approach and visitors taking advantage of the hospitality. I blame Russians, Brexit loving British types, and out of control Indians. 

OK, you don't like Russians and Indians, but why you don't like only the "Brexit loving British types"?
Are you British?

On 7/1/2024 at 1:10 PM, scorecard said:

my guess is that any of the farang you allude to have heard lots of negative stories / easy girls-boys, / laz rules etc etc. and that's what entices many to come here. 

One example: I was shopping in the robinsons supermarket on Suk'vt Road. An American ( I guess 35 years old) approached me (he introduced himself as a proud American, but no name of other details) and said "you have to write me a recommendation letter".

I responded "I don't know you, I've never seen you before" He replied "not important just do the right thing and write the letter".

I refused and walked away, he followed me and said loudly "what's your problem, why can't we all work together?"

I went to the cashiers desks and said in Thai "I have a problem with the farang following me, please call the manager". 

Manager came with 2 security guards. I spoke briefly to the manager who indicated they had previously had problems with the same guy and manager called the tourist police who have an office nearby.

Tourist police came quickly, they knew the farang, Snr said in English "We will take him direct to the immigration detention centre (IDC).  And the Snr cop quickly gave the instruction to 2 tourist cops who quickly handcuffed the guy and marched him off.

Snr Tourist police guy shared in English "Here in Bkk we take between 1 and 20 farang direct to the IDC every day. 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

None.

What would you do in this situation with the never seen before farang getting angry / nasty / causing a scene about giving him a fake recommendation letter?

I wouldn't have started a 'kindergarten" circus.
Where is the "nasty" part in it?

So, the "nasty" person patiently waited with you, the cashier, the manager, and two security guards together for the Tourist police (3 cops)
to get handcuffed. How many spectators?
That is the "circus" part.

As they had previous problems with him, knowing he lurks around, why did Mr. Nasty not get detained before?
That is the "common sense" part.

Further, I doubt that the guy was holding his passport ready, to prove his "Overstay". Even that's not a ticket "directly" to the IDC.
That is the "wishlist" part.

Molesting is juridically an offense, nothing more, nothing less. And has nothing to do with the immigration law.
That's the "reality" part.

Nice story though, feeding the wishful thinking of the ASEAN Now "deporting" faction members,
and their narratives.

Edited by Maitdjai

On 6/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, Pouatchee said:

i've worked with teachers here, for nearly 20 years, and these people are supposed to be educated, empathetic and caring. most of these guys, and some women, are cheap, out at bars as if their lives depend on it, and selfish. i once had a nice steak dinner at my house and i had invited 3 teachers with gf's. not one bothered to bring a bottle of wine or beer. that was the last time i did that. 

generally most people here are in survival mode and this is not a great way to live. just ask some people here you think you see eye to eye with out for a beer and let me know the responses.

best advice, find a good lady and dont expect much from foreigners....

When a bar is their best friend, and for many expats it is, you cant expect much from the individual

On 6/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, Pouatchee said:

i've worked with teachers here, for nearly 20 years, and these people are supposed to be educated, empathetic and caring. most of these guys, and some women, are cheap, out at bars as if their lives depend on it, and selfish. i once had a nice steak dinner at my house and i had invited 3 teachers with gf's. not one bothered to bring a bottle of wine or beer. that was the last time i did that. 

generally most people here are in survival mode and this is not a great way to live. just ask some people here you think you see eye to eye with out for a beer and let me know the responses.

best advice, find a good lady and dont expect much from foreigners....

People that work teaching jobs here are usually skint. Those jobs don't pay much and for most people it's not worth it as an enjoyable occupation. They were probably coming to your place for the free food.

I had a soiree in Chiang Mai and that happened. People showed up for beer, song and music then just left at the end of the night. Nobody offered to chip in. Not surprising, people don't typically offer unless you ask with the invite. They just assume you are wealthy enough to cover it if you don't say anything.