Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

Mekmong MICK

Also, don't wear a gold necklace. If 2 lady boys approach you and try to hug you, kick them away. Pushing might not be enough to get rid of them. They'll try to steal from you. But having said this, don't worry. Just don't take anything valuable outside with you, especially at night in bars. Bar girls might spike your drink and make you fall asleep.

Back in the US, I wore my Presidential Day-Date Rolex with diamond bezel and diamonds at each number on the dial valued here at around 2 million baht. When I moved to Thailand in 2010, I quickly discerned that I'd best just leave it locked up in my safe rather than wear it out in public. Let's face it....the only reason anyone wears a Rolex is to impress other people. You'll never impress anyone in Thailand with a true Rolex because most wouldn't have a clue what it is, and anyone familiar with a Rolex would only think you were wearing a fake Rolex. Today you can buy a 100 Baht watch with the same functions and which keeps better time. My Rolex never kept good time. Once I finally dealt with my own ego and decided to humble myself and get off my high-horse, I kissed the watch goodbye and sold it. I suggest you do the same thing other than risk losing your life over it. And it will do you no good being locked up in a safe unless you just want to keep it for memory's sake. It's all vanity anyway!

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Gormo_ said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Only by those who do not know what they're talking about...they are neither plastic, not over-rated, over-priced maybe.

It’s best not to comment on things you obviously have no clue about 

Indeed, it is, so bear that in mind.   As an expert, perhaps you could point out how any Rolex is "plastic" and what it is about them that makes them "overrated"?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Take your pic guys, i sold my real Rolex on moving permanently to Thailand as i could'nt see the point of having a real one when everyone would think its a fake and trust me you can't tell the difference when its on your wrist and even if its not you need to know what you are looking for.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 053652 - Copy.png

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Indeed, it is, so bear that in mind.   As an expert, perhaps you could point out how any Rolex is "plastic" and what it is about them that makes them "overrated"?

Don't worry mate, I get a lot of jealousy over my rolex all the time. People just don't want to be happy for others' successes 

Just now, Pumpuynarak said:

Take your pic guys, i sold my real Rolex on moving permanently to Thailand as i could'nt see the point of having a real one when everyone would think its a fake and trust me you can't tell the difference when its on your wrist and even if its not you need to know what you are looking for.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 053652 - Copy.png

The blue Daytona and DayDate are elite mate!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:49 AM, RSD1 said:

Hire a security detail while you're in Bangkok. It's what every other sensible tourist does. 

But you need a 3 man (or woman) detail to be effective. And be sure to show them big cash before they start work to prove you can pay.

On 7/1/2024 at 5:33 AM, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

And a note; can I ask posters please keep responses civil and informative? 

Probably as safe as when wearing a big gold chain around your neck – I wouldn't do either of the two...:whistling:

On 7/1/2024 at 4:34 PM, Mekmong MICK said:

I want to clear a few things up;

A) it's not a troll post. Unlike a lot here, I've travelled extensively across the world and I wouldn't wear a rolex down the Ramblas in Barcelona, Champ D L'Eseey in Paris or times square in LA. It's well known these places are prime targets for pickpocketers 

Just wondering how extensively travelled a supposed 21 year old can be while you were busy building up your business to just sell and make yourself wealthy.

Your contradictions in your troll posts are getting ridiculous. Must be employed by Asean Now as a professional troll to gain post clicks otherwise why do they allow such an obvious fake poster?

• Agree 1

Just found another one of OP's inconsistencies. He's now apparently been married 3 times while still only being 21. Surely one of the 3 ex-wives would have got the Rolex in divorce 😆

10 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Even though I'm well travelled and cultured, it's a different feeling actually feeling like a local in a foreign land. Between wives 2 and 3 I spent a month in the Philippines to try and meet someone but never felt totally comfortable and like it was totally comfortable and like it was home. There were too many Western sex tourists.

MICK

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 2