What is Arab Street in Bangkok?

Sukhumvit Rd. between Soi 3 and Soi 5. Little shops, hotels, restaurants, etc., mostly catering to Middle Eastern people. Much of it closed during covid and never reopened. Probably not interesting enough to make a special trip there. If you're in the area and in the mood for Lebanese food, there is plenty to be had. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

So, Soi Nana +- 1

A little misleading, since Soi4 is on the other side of Sukhumvit from Soi3 and Soi5.

I walk that area pretty much every time I go to Bumrungrad hospital.  The food looks great, and smells just as good.

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

A little misleading, since Soi4 is on the other side of Sukhumvit from Soi3 and Soi5.

I walk that area pretty much every time I go to Bumrungrad hospital.  The food looks great, and smells just as good.

Well, small world, when I see my prostate doctor I walk from The Dawin to Bumrungrad. But I must admit that Nana Plaza is part of the treatment too.

Some good food down there. I have had some great biryanis and schwarmas. Pastries too. The kid on the corner of Soi Arab and sukhumvit has some good weed, ask him. Tell him his friend from Cambodia recommended.

Im blatantly American, I get a few looks but its no big deal. I wish the Bamboo would get a Russian chef again, no more uzbek bread or plov

I bought some oud (agarwood) there from Cambodia to burn as incense. Cambodian Oud is in the top 3 ouds in the world.

For stuff like that (sandalwood, frankencence, perfume) it's cheaper than most places in the world. I was in Oman where a lot of aromatics come from recently, and Soi 4 costs the same.  

These rare woods are under climate and poaching threat. Enjoy them while you can.

For a pile of roast meat, it's probably the cheapest good dining in town.

Oud -now the number one scent in the world and therefore another eco-catastrophe- is like say, single malt whiskey. You're in the realm of impassioned connoisseurs with many opinions and slighter gradations of quality as you go up in price.

One way of grading oud is how much the smell changes over time. Good oud starts out floral, turns to leather, and ends up smelling like brass. Great oud has more levels. And lasts longer. I smell my expensive oud on myself even after 2 showers.

I wear oud most days and get a lot of compliments from Thai people. Anything to cover up the whitie smell, I guess.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Haha 1