I got a rat problem with my car

MichaelJackson

I've got a bit of a rat problem in our car, and it's driving us nuts! We can't seem to find the little critters anywhere, but we keep discovering rat poop and a few chewed wires under the bonnet. So far, we've tried live traps, those flick-over kill traps, and even poison that looks like red candy, but no luck. Every day, there's fresh poop mocking us.

I'm seriously worried that if they chew the wrong wire, the whole car could go up in flames! Right now, I've got two of those mosquito coils (I think that's how you spell it) burning in there to try and smoke them out.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Help a fellow rat-battler out!

• Sad 1

Monday you were enquiring which was better Bolt or Grab? Now you have a car?

"I'm trying to decide between using Bolt or Grab for getting around in Bangkok. Which one do you prefer and why? Any notable differences in service or pricing? For me, I prefer Bolt as it's much cheaper, compared to Grab."

33 minutes ago, marin said:

Monday you were enquiring which was better Bolt or Grab? Now you have a car?

"I'm trying to decide between using Bolt or Grab for getting around in Bangkok. Which one do you prefer and why? Any notable differences in service or pricing? For me, I prefer Bolt as it's much cheaper, compared to Grab."

Well, I decided to rent a car for some time.

1 hour ago, marin said:

So in two days your car was infested by rats? No you are simply trolling for attention. 

Good grief, man (?), get a life and stop stalking the OP. It makes you look like you are "trolling for attention".

• Sad 1

Find out WHY the rats are using the car for shelter and feeding. In my experience, that's the only reason they use the car as they can't drive. If there's garbage or waste nearby or even an untidy yard, they will be hanging about.

As mentioned earlier, leave the hood/bonnet up. If it's till too dark (like in a shed where rats live?), rig up a light. The light also stops feral cats but, as mentioned, if there's a cat on the ranch, the rodents go away.

The peppermint spray works OK, so do naphthalene moth balls (available at Big C). Just leave them in the bag but poke some holes in the bag, so the fumes get out. Jam the bag(s) in a crevice, beside the battery, wedged in a wiring loom but away from anything hot and NOT near the motor.

The hardware stores also sell rodent deterrent in either aerosol or spray form. You can also buy them on lazada.

But finding the source of rats and upsetting their routine is cheaper. Maybe a simple bit of housekeeping will do the job.

• Love It 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Find out WHY the rats are using the car for shelter and feeding. In my experience, that's the only reason they use the car as they can't drive. If there's garbage or waste nearby or even an untidy yard, they will be hanging about.

As mentioned earlier, leave the hood/bonnet up. If it's till too dark (like in a shed where rats live?), rig up a light. The light also stops feral cats but, as mentioned, if there's a cat on the ranch, the rodents go away.

The peppermint spray works OK, so do naphthalene moth balls (available at Big C). Just leave them in the bag but poke some holes in the bag, so the fumes get out. Jam the bag(s) in a crevice, beside the battery, wedged in a wiring loom but away from anything hot and NOT near the motor.

The hardware stores also sell rodent deterrent in either aerosol or spray form. You can also buy them on lazada.

But finding the source of rats and upsetting their routine is cheaper. Maybe a simple bit of housekeeping will do the job.

Thanks a lot for your tips, appreciate it! I will go fight those rats now.

A friends car's air conditioning system was destroyed by rats.  Her car was parked for a month while she was overseas and they proliferated inside.  She tried all sorts of remedies such as moth balls and laundry detergent but finally had to use professional exterminators who used some kind of non-lethal gas to drive them out.  They don't use poison because you don't want them dying deep inside the car  and making it stink.  Cost her almost B100K to get everything repaired.