British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

Just buy a different brand. It doesn't need to be Heinz.

I remember my Dad paid $3 for one(!) Mangosteen in Canada.

So really it's the same anywhere. 

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, garygooner said:
1 hour ago, steven100 said:

They need to buy the cheaper one ....    

it tastes ok .....

Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce 425g

Expand  

That's right. 

It's okay & just around 40 baht.

And just where do you buy them for 40 baht? Makro around 60-70 baht a tin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

That looks like a price ticket from the green supermarket.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed the price inconsistency at that particular supermarket lately.

Their prices fluctuate heavily for the same product every day. Looks almost as if in the morning, someone throws a dart at a board with numbers to determine the price of the day.

I have noticed their house brand muesli at a whopping 470 bht for 500 grams, and a month later at 125 baht for the same thing.

Other products I also see double or triple in price overnight, only to come back to the normal levels a few days later.

They mention  "Makro" on the post. Well, Supercheap is the  best and they both should know ... Mark and Nadine used to live in Phuket for years. They are no "tourists" and that video was just to create a buzz. 

And yet also, why would anyone eat unhealthy baked beans while "holidaying" in Thailand (again, they are not)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

.. and I'm bloody outraged that people come to Thailand and want to eat baked beans. Maybe afraid that they would get food poisoning? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

With the upcoming dedollarization of the USD, maybe baked beans should replace the McDonald's Big Mac International Currency comparison.:coffee1:

burger.png

The Big Mac Index was originally in The Economist newspaper. I think that at one time Hong Kong had the cheapest B M in the world.

"You farang, have monny muck muck, you pay more"

Reminds me years ago travelling through Africa and very 50 kms or so the army block the road  "We are the army, we are the government, this government road, you pay!"

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Anything that's imported in small quantities is going to be expensive because of higher shipping and distribution costs. It's not rocket science. 

And import tax!!!

300%+ on alcohol

100% on goods even second hand like bicycle (I left mine at home)

etc etc... and THEY know, they used or still live in Thailand (Phuket even) hahaha

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

Hope once they return back home to England they will also be outraged if any place selling chicken with rice for more than 1 pound.

They live in Australia. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Saw these in Lotus'sss a few days ago:

IMG_20240701_111358.thumb.jpg.ffda75f2a4e1ba24182f44c621597668.jpg

NZ baked beans... wow. 75baht or about NZ$3.35.

Cost back in NZ $2

I eat local... Cheaper and tastier too

Decent beans them.

• Like 1

Just now, cooked said:

.. and I'm bloody outraged that people come to Thailand and want to eat baked beans. Maybe afraid that they would get food poisoning? 

I lived in Thailand for 20 years and ate farang food for pretty much the whole time I was there!

One of the reasons that I never ate much Thai food was I had the maybe incorrect thinking that it would be way too hot for me. The sen mee nam gai was quite nice, but it came un-spiced, and I used to add just a bit of chilli to it.

Also, I'm not the most adventurous or 'foodie' kind of person. I eat because I'm hungry, not for a 'culinary adventure'.😊

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

They live in Australia. 

Yea, and they weren't complaining or trying to buy beans. But everyone likes to chime in without knowing what the frick they're talking about. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, jwl53 said:

And just where do you buy them for 40 baht? Makro around 60-70 baht a tin

I never said 40 baht ...  maybe you could 5 yrs ago but now the cheapest is around 52 baht I believe ...  but that's for a small tin,  a larger tin or the medium size tin is possibly 70-80 baht. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Muesli and granola is best purchased from Lazada, too expensive in the shops.

I will buy all kind of junk on Lazada, but food is out of the question.... unless it is from the same verified supplier who sells to supermarket chains.

Edited by Celsius
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

Rip-off price, should shop at Siamburi's - and buy Branston BB's as taste better 

Siamburi's is also a rip off on many items and has gone downhill since the present owner took over

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SeaBee said:

You should try the Thai Worcestershire sauce (Gy-Nguang Formula 2), you'll be surprised, it's the same sauce for a fraction of the price.

Thank you for that information.

I must try that next time I go bulk shopping at BigC or Makro. I haven't seen Lea & Perrins genuine Worcester sauce on the shelves for months in Kamphaeng Phet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

With the upcoming dedollarization of the USD, maybe baked beans should replace the McDonald's Big Mac International Currency comparison.:coffee1:

burger.png

Upcoming de-dollarization? Please do elaborate. 

• Thumbs Up 1