Why Are You Here?

5 minutes ago, Presnock said:

He is either lying or pays an agent to do any reporting...if he is telling the truth and neither of these is correct, then we will probably read about his arrest for overstay in the future or he is a local.

Pays an agent to do everything. 

Just now, Nemises said:

Pays an agent to do everything. 

well, to me, being totally legal I do my own reporting, to get an agent to do everything and then not knowing if that agent is even a legal agent for any immigration or for just one official that could present problems at some time.   But, if one has the money to spend on such activity, as the saying goes - "do what you want to do, your money".

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Came to meet someone and be in a relationship, and have ticked this box

Do I detect some Premature Congratulation?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, atpeace said:

I here that all the time.  Then I ask about the car they are driving they paid for in cash, health/car Insurance paid annually and the misc big spend items that pop up every few years.  Usually just a shrug and I really don't count those response.  One was actually paying 50% of his claimed budget on his annual yacht club membership if amortized.  For example, if your rent is 20k and your friend owns his home his monthly budget would be 20k less but that isn't how it works in the real world.  To save that 20k most spend millions of baht.

I live in the sticks like yourself and the upfront costs can be huge ( mine weren't that bad ).

Wife bought the land (2 rai) and paid for the house (three bed, all ensuite about 2 million). No health insurance as I keep my UK residency rights. No car. Biggest bills are electricity and food. Neither of us smoke, wife doesn't drink. One return flight a year 800 GBP.

All in all not a bad deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

No health insurance as I keep my UK residency rights.

How will that work if you fall seriously unwell or get seriously injured and can't travel to the UK ?

Note: I've had a couple of big incidents and was luckily insured - most recent this year (about US$15,000 from a sports injury / about 15 year ago I fell seriously unwell - Cost was US$50,000 ).

Of course, treatment would be cheaper in a Government Hospital - but there are a couple of very recent there that highlight how terrible the treatment can be.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

What brought you to Thailand in the first place, and what made you decide to stay and become a resident? 

Was it one of the many common or typical reasons or was it something more unusual?

Seems a bit prejudice,what about the expats who live in other ASEAN countries?

Should I be excluded if I was a expat say in Myanmar, life isn't fair it's like a box of chocolates but please think outside the square!!!!!

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I came here in 1974 after university as a round the world backpacker... this was my favorite country. exported handcrafts from here in the 1980s... retired early in the late 90s... I never wanted to be anywhere else. 

Retired in the 90's 

You must be old or should we perhaps be PC and say of mature age , but thankyou for your service Sir 🙏

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, atpeace said:

I here that all the time.  Then I ask about the car they are driving they paid for in cash, health/car Insurance paid annually and the misc big spend items that pop up every few years.  Usually just a shrug and I really don't count those response.  One was actually paying 50% of his claimed budget on his annual yacht club membership if amortized.  For example, if your rent is 20k and your friend owns his home his monthly budget would be 20k less but that isn't how it works in the real world.  To save that 20k most spend millions of baht.

I live in the sticks like yourself and the upfront costs can be huge ( mine weren't that bad ).

Agreed. Bewilders me, comments of 40k monthly spending. I retired here to enjoy a comfortable (no Mercedes, no private swimming pool) working middle class retirement. We (family of 3) have no trouble spending the income retirement 65K baht+ every month. 2 old but maintained cars, motorbike, new 3 bed, 2 bath house (16,965 baht monthly). No complaints but such low spending quotes would have me living … well, at below the level I would enjoy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. Bewilders me, comments of 40k monthly spending. I retired here to enjoy a comfortable (no Mercedes, no private swimming pool) working middle class retirement. We (family of 3) have no trouble spending the income retirement 65K baht+ every month. 2 old but maintained cars, motorbike, new 3 bed, 2 bath house (16,965 baht monthly). No complaints but such low spending quotes would have me living … well, at below the level I would enjoy.

Oh please .....buy the house !!!

• Sad 1

Thai wife (many years already), weather, food, quality of life that I cannot get in Europe for that price. And for now also a sense of safety with mr. P. from M. rattling at the doors.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Seems a bit prejudice,what about the expats who live in other ASEAN countries?

Should I be excluded if I was a expat say in Myanmar, life isn't fair it's like a box of chocolates but please think outside the square!!!!!

'Box"

In 2010 I met a lovely Thai government English teacher on ThaiCupid.com after going through a brutal divorce from my 3rd wife in the US. After 2 months of talking daily on Skype, I made the journey to meet her in person, and that tipped the scales for me. I returned to the US after a two-week vacation, retired and was back here and ready for marriage in only 6 weeks. The marriage is splendid, and I love my wife more and more with each passing year, but I have never adjusted to living in Thailand. Year after year I have waited for a love affair with Thai people and their culture to emerge, and it just hasn't happened. I have been on the verge of moving back to the US, but with all the nonsense going on back there, my patriotism for my home country is "out the window" and may never return. Now, I only stay in Thailand for lack of a better place to lay my head. In my mind I have built a virtual wall around my little piece of paradise that I call my home, and nobody but my immediate family gets in. That's the only way I can maintain my sanity in this place.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

What brought you to Thailand in the first place, and what made you decide to stay and become a resident? 

Was it one of the many common or typical reasons or was it something more unusual?

Thailand 12-15 years ago was the best option of all countries, with most infrastructure, easiest visa, low cost of living etc etc. That is no longer today, I am just still here only because i have a Thai family and child. But even that is now decided, she wants to leave too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

8 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Because the alternative is far, far worse and now the benefit huggers have taken over it will only get even more so...

What do you mean with that, there is plenty of countries in the world. Vietnam just to be one nearby already.

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is optimal for cost of living and quality of life. Who needs more than that?

Quality of life you mean unhealthy cheap street food, poor water quality, poor air quality and zero development + soon a lot of breaking things as of zero maintenance? Aside from nature, oceans, corals etc also being destroyed for the most part. Wildlife too.  Optimal cost of living? It's double from all the other options in costs.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

What brought you to Thailand in the first place, and what made you decide to stay and become a resident

Working offshore, Songkhla, decided to live here, too far to travel Australia and back every month.