Why Are You Here?

Posted (edited)

I came to set up a manufacturing facility in 1999. I was to be here three to six months, and the company was supposed to send over a manager. They never did. 

After a couple years I got married, then had a child. Retired a few years ago. 

Edited by Yellowtail

20 hours ago, G_Money said:

The temples, modern sidewalks, safe driving habits, Thai culture, lack of corruption and all the smiling faces were at the top of my list.

I'll believe you, but there are few who wont.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. Bewilders me, comments of 40k monthly spending. I retired here to enjoy a comfortable (no Mercedes, no private swimming pool) working middle class retirement. We (family of 3) have no trouble spending the income retirement 65K baht+ every month. 2 old but maintained cars, motorbike, new 3 bed, 2 bath house (16,965 baht monthly). No complaints but such low spending quotes would have me living … well, at below the level I would enjoy.

What else am I going to buy to get my spending up?

I came on the recommendation of a Thai acquaintance many moons ago. A great 3 week holiday and returned every year until I retired. Knowing how cheap it was to live here I moved within a month of retirement and haven't looked back. And its still cheap.

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Retired in the 90's 

You must be old or should we perhaps be PC and say of mature age , but thankyou for your service Sir 🙏

Some people retire early.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Presnock said:

to get an agent to do everything and then not knowing if that agent is even a legal agent for any immigration or for just one official that could present problems at some time.

Lots of “ifs” and “coulds” in your speculation, but the facts are: never a had a problem over many years and neither have scores of others I know who use the same agent - and have been for even more years. But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of your speculation and doomsaying 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Lots of “ifs” and “coulds” in your speculation, but the facts are: never a had a problem over many years and neither have scores of others I know who use the same agent - and have been for even more years. But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of your speculation and doomsaying 🤣

That's what the doctor said when the horse died. 

As long as you're not using an agent to circumvent the law, I would not be concerned. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Back home: Cold, lots of old people, lots of people who go on long holidays to be away from home. And on top of that, lots of fat ugly women with attitude problems.

Thailand: More or less the opposite of above.

Since I live in Thailand, I didn't go on any holidays, because I am happy where I am.

Obviously not all is perfect in Thailand. But most people make the best out of whatever situation they are in. I guess (the Thai version of) Buddhism also helps.

Centre of bkk is young, rest of Thailand aging very fast.

But I do agree with your sentiments.

Reading all the responses and scenarios is interesting. For some it's heaven. For others it's a love-hate relationship. I think in all fairness, every place has its own good and bad. Nowhere is perfect. And everyone needs to look at their own situation, evaluate the pros and cons, and decide for themselves what and where is best for them. I realize some people may also not fully be here by choice and at the same time can't so easily leave, even if they want to. For those it's a very sad situation. 

15 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Centre of bkk is young, rest of Thailand aging very fast.

But I do agree with your sentiments.

What is this based on? That's not what I have seen. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 6:33 PM, HugoFastor said:

What brought you to Thailand in the first place, and what made you decide to stay and become a resident? 

Was it one of the many common or typical reasons or was it something more unusual?

Her sister.

Same thing happened in Cuba as well.

Edited by NanLaew

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You are right.

But I think we are all influenced by people and the situation around us.

Going to the supermarket is a good example. Back "home" lots of grumpy people are in the supermarket. The cashier looks likely unhappy and is possibly criticizing people who don't behave like she wants this at her cashier row.

In Thailand, most of the cashiers are relatively young women, they smile, and they have patience.

That is just one example.

If we are all the time surrounded by grumpy people, then it's difficult to stay positive. 

Now that is odd....I find the complete opposite.....but the UK to me is Yorkshire...maybe that's the difference?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RSD1 said:

At first I thought, what a whacky, off-topic reply. Like someone with mental issues. But then I looked at the poster's name and I realized it was from none other than the Aussie Mop-Man who likes to cruise the Manila metro late at night looking for a homo-hookup. Enough said. 

To think you have all this knowledge and only joined a week ago 

You love it don't you , you want me ,you want it , your a bad boy ...admit it ,you want me 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

To think you have all this knowledge and only joined a week ago 

You love it don't you , you want me ,you want it , your a bad boy ...admit it ,you want me 

Lol. Ok. 😂 

What brought you to Thailand in the first place, and what made you decide to stay and become a resident? 

Was it one of the many common or typical reasons or was it something more unusual?

I've got to be somewhere, it might as well be here.

Airplane brought me here.

Reason for staying employment.... fairly typical I guess.

• Haha 1