Getting a UK passport/citizenship for my 18 year old Luk Kreung son.

My son is 18 years old and was born in Phuket.  At the time of his birth, I was legally married to his Thai mother and I am named as his father on the Thai birth certificate and Phuket Hospital birth certificate.

I never applied for a UK passport after his birth, because we divorced a year or two later and I had/have no plans to return back to the UK, either alone or with my ex or son.

However, as I'm getting older, I thought it would be prudent to obtain a UK passport for my son, in case he wants to travel/work in the UK after my demise. (He currently attends college in Bangkok).

A visa agent told me that it's very difficult to obtain a UK passport for a luk kreung if they are older than 12 years. I don't buy this.  According to the UK government visa/passport website, my son is automatically entitled to a UK passport because of the time period when he was born, and because I am named as father on his Thai birth certificate.

Can someone with more knowledge of this topic please advise me?  Thanks!  Oh - if his mother's signature is required for the application, then this is no problem.  But I assume that since he is 18 years old, he needs to apply himself and won't need the permission of either parent.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, simon43 said:

A visa agent told me that it's very difficult to obtain a UK passport for a luk kreung if they are older than 12 years.

A visa agent for UK visas? 

If your son's BC has your name in it - than it will be a walk in the park. Application form at the UK embassy and that's it. 

Until 18 they might require some papers from you (Affidavit) but at 18 - nothing. Just application and translated and notarized copy of BC.
PS: Ok, include your passport's copy to make it look legit. 

Edited by NativeBob
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IF you son is a British citizen, then just apply for his passport, application is done online though you have to take everything to VFS

check he is a British citizen  https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizenship   you might have to put the link in your browser

To apply just apply here  it walks you through the application, guidence notes are at the end

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

• Thumbs Up 1

Application will be made at VFS Office who act for HMPO.

As your son is 18, he should be able apply in his own right, but will need Father's Full birth certificate (the long one) to prove his entitlement to British nationality. If no have, a copy is available from the General Register Office for around £10

• Thumbs Up 2