By Car From Phuket Tobangkok (surat)

stevenl

Once in a while I make this trip, and this week I'm going again.

I recall from reading amongst others on this forum that there is a new road from in between Phuket and Krabi to Surat. So far I have turned left on this road on to road 415 (2 lanes) at a big sign: Surat Thani and Bangkok, and my recognition point: a gasoline station right at the intersection on the left hand side.

Am I correct in understanding that there is a new road (4 lanes) to Surat, which starts about 20 kilometers further direction Krabi?

Thats correct.. The 44 IIRC..

Its suler straight and empty.. I find its the best way myself but do tend to make use of a fast road if its there.

Same for me. I like the 415 when I come back, because that is always in the middle of the night, so can drive the shortest route and still go 110-120 km/hour constantly. But will give the 44 a try this time, because I won't be late enough to avoid the traffic.

Thanks.

Once in a while I make this trip, and this week I'm going again.

I recall from reading amongst others on this forum that there is a new road from in between Phuket and Krabi to Surat. So far I have turned left on this road on to road 415 (2 lanes) at a big sign: Surat Thani and Bangkok, and my recognition point: a gasoline station right at the intersection on the left hand side.

Am I correct in understanding that there is a new road (4 lanes) to Surat, which starts about 20 kilometers further direction Krabi?

Correct; two lanes both directions all the way to where you join the Surat to Donsak road, about an hour , but watch out for lorries and trucks coming at you in the outside lane but going the wrong way...........the locals still don't know the meaning of "dual carriageway". Can be frightening particularly over bridges!

Use the old route if you are not in a hurry, better scenically.

Is the travelling time any shorter on the new road, or is it about the same due to the increased distance.

I am heading up that way in several weeks.

Is the turn at the new road well signed?

How long is a piece of string!

Travel on the new road and you can average 150kph; but as I've said before ,beware vehicles on the wrong side of the road travelling towards you.

The turn off is well signed .

Enjoy your trip.

Is the travelling time any shorter on the new road, or is it about the same due to the increased distance.

Travel on the new road and you can average 150kph; but as I've said before ,beware vehicles on the wrong side of the road travelling towards you.

Enjoy your trip.

150 kph ???? The speed limit is 110 kph. On that stretch into Krabi I HAVE been caught on speed radar on that stetch of road doing 130 kph, and had to pay 500 bahyt spot fine. BEWARE

Enjoy your trip.

150 kph ???? The speed limit is 110 kph. On that stretch into Krabi I HAVE been caught on speed radar on that stetch of road doing 130 kph, and had to pay 500 bahyt spot fine. BEWARE

As I already said.... radar in police car hidden off the road, and stopped about 500 m further on. Never noticed the police car until after I passed it. Since then I've noticed the same set-up (a number of times) on the main Surat Thani - Bangkok highway.

As I already said.... radar in police car hidden off the road, and stopped about 500 m further on. Never noticed the police car until after I passed it. Since then I've noticed the same set-up (a number of times) on the main Surat Thani - Bangkok highway.

We were stopped north of Chunphon two years back; they claimed radar but I saw no evidence, I think they were guessing!.

We still had to pay 300bht although I had seen them and was only doing 120. Heigh Ho.

Inflation seems to have hit Krabi.