By Age 2 He Had Memorized The Periodic Table - Now 12 years old heading to college at NYU

Social Media

42 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Other than a precious few like John von Neumann and Mozart, most prodigies such as this lad end up accomplishing little. Not sure why. Maybe brilliance requires more than good neural circuitry, Inspiration has to be part of it.

Let’s hope he is able to utilize his gift!

• Agree 2

Stories such as this always make me sad - children should be children, and play with toys and mess about with other kids their age, doing childish things. 

A child with a precocious ability to memorise and synthesise information does not mean that they have emotional intelligence. I don't believe that they have an advanced ability to rationalise and contextualise life and situations.

No wonder, as Walker88 says, few of these prodigies rise to prominence - the pressure they must be under at such a young age must be immense, and very damaging.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Stories such as this always make me sad - children should be children, and play with toys and mess about with other kids their age, doing childish things. 

A child with a precocious ability to memorise and synthesise information does not mean that they have emotional intelligence. I don't believe that they have an advanced ability to rationalise and contextualise life and situations.

No wonder, as Walker88 says, few of these prodigies rise to prominence - the pressure they must be under at such a young age must be immense, and very damaging.

Prominence does necessarily equate to happiness and success.

By Age 2 He Had Memorized The Periodic Table - Now 12 years old heading to college at NYU

Where's that going to get him in this bad world ?

Not going to be the President of th  USA    Or Admiral for the Navy.  

"Even prodigies who avoid burnout and resist social pressures are unlikely to make a big splash as an adult. The problem, notes giftedness researcher Ellen Winner, is that to make a major contribution in the arts, and even the sciences "you need a rebellious spirit and the type of mind that can see new things." Most prodigies, however, are acclaimed not for their innovation but "for doing something that's already been done."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/200511/why-prodigies-fail

• Like 2