For those of you who have lived here for years?

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You just do not appreciate how fortunate you are .

You are privileged to get six weeks annual leave and you are also privileged to be able to spend six weeks in the tropics in Thailand  per year , some people cannot afford to even go to Thailand 

He wasted 6 weeks in a downmarket condo.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Actually everyone told me 20 years ago rent don't buy. Didn't you hear these warnings? :coffee1:

With 5,000 baht to 10,000 baht rentals why would you buy unless totally happy?

It is just common sense.

5,000 baht to 10,000 baht rentals...       living it up, eh...    :whistling:

• Agree 1

I am confident, that Farangs that have lived here for a long time know in the meantime if they want to stay here and can afford to stay here (health insurance, for example). All others must have left already.

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

He wasted 6 weeks in a downmarket condo.

You can find hotels in most towns for 3-500 Baht per night , travel is cheap in Thailand .

If he couldn't afford cheap hotels and bus fares , then he should have stayed at home 

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You can find hotels in most towns for 3-500 Baht per night , travel is cheap in Thailand .

If he couldn't afford cheap hotels and bus fares , then he should have stayed at home 

Retirement test run he said. 

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

He has been thinking about moving to Latin America , he began thinking about moving back to America when Obama got elected and hes still thinking about moving back 

16 years of thinking. No need to rush.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, susanlea said:
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

5,000 baht to 10,000 baht rentals...       living it up, eh...    :whistling:

Yeah totally. Great pool, gym and nice view.

I'd hope the pool and view are nice...   it'd be too depressing staying in a 30 sqm bedsit studio all the time....

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No and they wouldn't give me a visa even for that.

Funny question though. 

As a gay guy you can't be too unhappy. Lots of worse places. Is Latin America gay friendly? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Would you consider going to Australia and working in a hospital cleaning the floors ?

46 weeks moping floors, 6 weeks pattaya condo or death by hanging. I'd choose the later.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This the cheapest standard with breakfest I use when traveling, except some convenient stays at Hop In where they are decent central. Very rear I come by any cheaper than this lately. During covid it was 700 baht included breakfest.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/p1HYJkPruo2TRL5Y8

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

If you get drunk every night, you're not going to be able to do much with that bed friend.

If you're over 75, you're not going to be able to do much with that bed friend.

Another advantage of Latin America over Asia.

If you feel the world is starting to feel like World War 3 mode, Latin America is much more remote from that than Asia. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mason45 said:

I've lived in Thailand for 22 years, I married my Thai wife 20 years ago. Firstly I made it a rule to only learn words in Thai that would be useful for me in the future. Most of the common words plus any number given to me, even the high numbers I know them fluently. My biggest gripe is that Pattaya especially has changed dramatically over the past decade. Maybe it's when Thaksin was disposed of being the PM. I'm not into Thai politics so don't say I'm sticking up for an alleged crook. I do know one thing the conversion rate for the Thai baht was 30% higher on all overseas currencies than what it is now. So the better the exchange rate the more tourist come. The more tourist equates to much higher earnings for the local traders.

write a book

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

By the time that you've made up your mind, India and Brazil will be fighting each other in World War 4 

I have made up my mind.

Based on being so heavily invested in Thailand for so long, I will try to stay indefinitely.

However, that wasn't the question here, what I would do!

I posted what I would advise for people that haven't moved to Thailand YET.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I was just pointing out that there are better options than spending six weeks in a cheap Pattaya Condo 

Honestly, not much less than 800 baht a night without pool worth looking at. Some seaside guesthouses at jomtien with big rooms have great deals for around 18k a month, no pool though 

Edited by Hummin

Just now, Jingthing said:

I have made up my mind.

Based on being so heavily invested in Thailand for so long, I will try to stay indefinitely.

However, that wasn't the question here, what I would do!

I posted what I would advise for people that haven't moved to Thailand YET.

What is keeping you in Thailand and stopping you moving abroad ?

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What is keeping you in Thailand and stopping you moving abroad ?

I'm not going to go into such personal details here.

But I'll only move away from here if I'm forced to (by visa changes, etc.).