Are you spending more or less than you had planned before coming here?

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

I manage on 15000 baht per month and have pension income of 50,000 per month.

My home expenses are paid by rental income and have no rent to pay. 

It has taken 10 years to creat the rental income and much work . The bulk of the rental income has been put back into more rental accomodation.

I have good health at the moment and manage to squeeze a number of beers each day and that is my largest single expense. 

My partner has helped to achive our position as well and works every day and has a small business .

I had little idea what i would need to live here to be quite honest. I have never been so well of as i am now at 71 years of age.

Thai condos?

1 hour ago, susanlea said:

Thai condos?

We have listings on short term rentals and all are on the one property.

2x 2bedroom and 3x 1 bedroom apartments.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I manage on 15000 baht per month and have pension income of 50,000 per month.

My home expenses are paid by rental income and have no rent to pay. 

It has taken 10 years to creat the rental income and much work . The bulk of the rental income has been put back into more rental accomodation.

I have good health at the moment and manage to squeeze a number of beers each day and that is my largest single expense. 

My partner has helped to achive our position as well and works every day and has a small business .

I had little idea what i would need to live here to be quite honest. I have never been so well of as i am now at 71 years of age.

I wrote this to emphasis that you don't need 100,000 baht a month to have a good life in Thailand as many like to boast about on ASEAN Now.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, susanlea said:

I don't believe most of the stories I read on here. A single person could totally live on 25,000 imo if they wanted.

Yes I agree with your statement.

Even if it were true they want to flaunt there wealth in some strange way.

Thank you for your reply

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Yes I agree with your statement.

Even if it were true they want to flaunt there wealth in some strange way.

Thank you for your reply

Probably drinkers

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

How about others?

It varies widely and I don’t keep track and I can care less about how much I spend and care even lesser of how much others have or spend. Who frik’n cares…good grief!

Edited by novacova
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BKKKevin said:

Given a Durian stall has opened on about every corner I'm shelling out more... :coffee1:

Long as you can put up with the smell and stomach discomfort,good for you

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

It varies widely and I don’t keep track and I can care less about how much I spend and care even lesser of how others have or spend. Who frik’n cares…good grief!

Well at your age of 80 ,too right !

Everyday is a blessing my friend .

You enjoy it , could be your last 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well probably another 10 years left or less....so you enjoy your money and stop being stingy ,you can't take it with you 

I do think that way as you say, yet I want the partner to have a chance of income without working in her old age.

In saying that there is an element of work to keep the flow of money from the property if I am out of the picture as I am constantly maintaining the buildings .

Thank you for your reply

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well at your age of 80 ,too right !

Everyday is a blessing my friend .

You enjoy it , could be your last 

When you going back to Thailand?

• Thumbs Up 1

I was ready to spend 8 million baht at a condo with sea view, and those who I liked was around 12 and up, so I postponed it for better exchange rate. Since then our valuta have plummeted several times. 

So I have spent alot less than I planned to. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I was ready to spend 8 million baht at a condo with sea view, and those who I liked was around 12 and up, so I postponed it for better exchange rate. Since then our valuta have plummeted several times. 

So I have spent alot less than I planned to. 

Norwegian currency was up in 5 to 6 baht 12 years ago but now around 3.4 and therefore I can understand your desire to spend less

27 minutes ago, itsari said:

Norwegian currency was up in 5 to 6 baht 12 years ago but now around 3.4 and therefore I can understand your desire to spend less

For those who invested on 1nok - 6,3 baht and sold at 2,83, made quite good money. I know one who invested above 6, and  managed to get out at exactly the lowest point.

Edited by Hummin

16 hours ago, sidjameson said:

The old adage of financial planning of making a retirement budget for Thailand then doubling it didn't apply to me. 

I'm spending less than I thought. 

In planning I had populated the future with a larger appetite than I had. In fact the opposite was true.

I needed less beer than I had planned, less Aircon, less restaurants, less dating etc

Budgeted 70k a month life but only spend 50k.

How about others?

I’m similar to you I too budgeted on around 70k a month and I actually spend approx 46k. What I now do is adjust the amount of my military pension I send over here per month to about 50k and leave the rest in the UK building up for my uk return shopping and family visits. Amount im saving is approx £500 pound a month in total.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, sidjameson said:

The old adage of financial planning of making a retirement budget for Thailand then doubling it didn't apply to me. 

I'm spending less than I thought. 

In planning I had populated the future with a larger appetite than I had. In fact the opposite was true.

I needed less beer than I had planned, less Aircon, less restaurants, less dating etc

Budgeted 70k a month life but only spend 50k.

How about others?

My approach, facing retirement was to figure out what my sustainable monthly retirement budget would be. I figured $2400 USD (induced US SS) would not be comfortable in my own country of the USA. Thirteen years later here in Chiang Mai, Thailand the budget continues to hold. So, the USA Social Security ($1570 this year), then add funds from my retirement savings to equal the $2400. I transfer $2200 a month to Thailand, $200 stays in US bank to offset any US credit card use. Funds not used for monthly bills (family of 3), are deposited in a separate account for use in travel or other mostly discretionary costs. Ha! We seem to have no trouble using 65K baht a month.

• Like 1