What it the most cost effective and simplest way to change Retirement Visa to Marraige visa

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

They would not need to exit country only change the reason extension is based on from retirement to marriage.

In fact it is the unmarried guys that exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A border bounce enter visa exempt and obtain a non O based on retirement (no insurance) 

Just asking the question. If mine changed the Reason from Retirement to Marriage but my original entry was an O-A Visa ... would then I still not have to buy medical insurance required of all O-A Visa holders no matter how many Extensions of Stay they do?

7 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Just asking the question. If mine changed the Reason from Retirement to Marriage but my original entry was an O-A Visa ... would then I still not have to buy medical insurance required of all O-A Visa holders no matter how many Extensions of Stay they do?

If your extension from a non O-A visa is based on retirement then insurance is required.

If you apply for extension from a non O-A based on marriage then insurance is not required. 

Note: the very first extension from a non O-A would need to be based on retirement. Subsequent extensions can be based on marriage and not require insurance. 

It's for this reason that unmarried guys exited Thailand to "kill off" the non O-A. 

The married guys did not need to.

They just changed from based on retirement to based on marriage.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

If your extension from a non O-A visa is based on retirement then insurance is required.

If you apply for extension from a non O-A based on marriage then insurance is not required. 

Note: the very first extension from a non O-A would need to be based on retirement. Subsequent extensions can be based on marriage and not require insurance. 

It's for this reason that unmarried guys exited Thailand to "kill off" the non O-A. 

The married guys did not need to.

They just changed from based on retirement to based on marriage.

Thanks. I had always thought all O-A Visas were required to have medical insurance after they changed that since I entered in 2011. Good to know all O-A Visas do not require insurance. So, I hold an O-A Visa for Reason of Marriage, correct?

7 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Thanks. I had always thought all O-A Visas were required to have medical insurance after they changed that since I entered in 2011. Good to know all O-A Visas do not require insurance. So, I hold an O-A Visa for Reason of Marriage, correct?

Without being picky....a non O-A is a multi entry visa valid for one year. 

You require insurance when you apply for that visa.

As you would be aware by exit and reenter Thailand just prior to expiry of the non O-A you will be stamped in for a year.

After which your would/can obtain annual extensions.

The very first extension would need to be based on retirement and would require insurance.

Following extensions can be based on marriage would not require insurance..

If at some point you got divorced you would need to change to based on retirement and again require insurance.

The best thing to do if marriage ends is to border bounce (without reentry permit) and start over.

Enter visa exempt and obtain a non O based on retirement (no insurance required) 

Non O-A was previously a ripper visa for many. Insurance requirements took the gloss off

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

My wife and I were told we needed an agent to get our marriage registered in BKK.The agent met us at the office,said Hi and then we joined the queue. He did sweet fa for us except waste our money.Another rip- off to add to the list.

Where did you marry ? if you married in Thailand you are already registered. 

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

There is currently no insurance requirement for marriage-based extensions, even if you came in on an O-A Visa, originally. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

There is currently no insurance requirement for marriage-based extensions, even if you came in on an O-A Visa, originally. 

Where I have been confused is that the O-A Visa, granted to me in my home country (USA 2011) was granted only for purpose of Retirement. There was no O-A Visa for Reason of Marriage. So, when I changed from O-A Retirement to Marriage ... Is the O-A Visa is also recognized for Marriage (as the Visa did not change). OR when changing from O-A Retirement to Marriage am I now considered on O Visa since there is no O-A Visa for marriage.

15 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

OR when changing from O-A Retirement to Marriage am I now considered on O Visa since there is no O-A Visa for marriage.

No 

Your non O-A has expired long time ago. You are now on continuous extensions from a non O-A.

Those extensions can be on the basis of retirement or marriage.

For extensions based on marriage no requirement for insurance.

If you want a non O based on retirement (no insurance required) you would need break your current ongoing permission of stay and exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A.

Reenter and obtain a non O at immigration or at thai consulate/embassy outside of Thailand.

Explained now several times. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 10:49 AM, DrJack54 said:

No 

Your non O-A has expired long time ago. You are now on continuous extensions from a non O-A.

Those extensions can be on the basis of retirement or marriage.

For extensions based on marriage no requirement for insurance.

If you want a non O based on retirement (no insurance required) you would need break your current ongoing permission of stay and exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A.

Reenter and obtain a non O at immigration or at thai consulate/embassy outside of Thailand.

Explained now several times. 

Yes, Jack And yet as you state to kill off the O-A Visa, I would be required to exit Thailand. That plus reading from a legal site leaves the question hanging ... in my thinking. Does not really matter. It is what it is ... more of an academic question addressing a bit of an unclarity in dealing with Thai Immigration. Other issues much more important.

• Confused 1