Transferring visa stamp to new UK passport

I have to go collect my new UK passport from VFS Bangkok this week.

I can't find the thread, but pretty sure that I read here on AN that a letter is required to change visa stamps to new passport. Is this something that is automatically issued with the new passport by HMPO? Or do I have to ask VFS for one?  Am I even right on this?

NEW PASSPORT NUMBER

Trying to think where else I might have to get passport number changed: Bank Accounts obviously, maybe Driving Licences,. Am I mssing anywhere else? Can anyone think of any other  places I might need to get this changed?

TIA

The letter used to be given automatically with a new passport, but I think that has now ceased;

image.png.7c89ef5e3837215b84b335c5c5145795.png

You might also want to change the passport number associated with your phone.  Personally I never bother with changing anything until actually necessary, i.e. when needing to do something at the bank.

• Like 1

Many Embassies not issuing the Letter anymore and have informed Immigration, and I wouldn't change the PP Number anywhere till it is really necessary. If you have to go to a Bank just take your old Passport with you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Many Embassies not issuing the Letter anymore and have informed Immigration, and I wouldn't change the PP Number anywhere till it is really necessary. If you have to go to a Bank just take your old Passport with you.

No.

You should take new pp to bank and have new pp # updated.

Not so important is things such as TDL etc.

Note: for folk attending some immigration offices (CW one eg) to transfer stamps they now require bankbook to check financial compliance if using money in bank method..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I can't find the thread, but pretty sure that I read here on AN that a letter is required to change visa stamps to new passport. Is this something that is automatically issued with the new passport by HMPO? Or do I have to ask VFS for one?  Am I even right on this?

NEW PASSPORT NUMBER

Trying to think where else I might have to get passport number changed: Bank Accounts obviously, maybe Driving Licences,. Am I mssing anywhere else? Can anyone think of any other  places I might need to get this changed?

TIA

I'd appreciate if you could update how the process went at Samui immgration phetphet 😄

I was told the Australian Embassy also don't provide these transfer letters anymore.

gotchas: If transferring stamps at CW you will need updated bank book and letter if you are on money in the bank extension, e.g. retirement.

TM30 has to be redone due to change in passport number. Many will say that was not their experience but I was told by IO checking my docs that I had to do a TM30 at CW - fortunately I had one that had been done post passport number change with me.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

You should take new pp to bank and have new pp # updated.

Not so important is things such as TDL etc.

Note: for folk attending some immigration offices (CW one eg) to transfer stamps they now require bankbook to check financial compliance if using money in bank method..

I have meanwhile my second new Passport in Thailand and never updated my Bank details, absolute pointless to do it.

Edited by UWEB
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

gotchas: If transferring stamps at CW you will need updated bank book and letter if you are on money in the bank extension, e.g. retirement.

TM30 has to be redone due to change in passport number. Many will say that was not their experience but I was told by IO checking my docs that I had to do a TM30 at CW - fortunately I had one that had been done post passport number change with me.

Indeed luck of the draw.

Recently I had attended CW for stamp transfer and by luck had my bank book. 

They wanted photocopies of pages back to current extension application date along with update.

Did not require a TM30.

Note: for others here is link for form for transfer #22

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202

6 minutes ago, UWEB said:

I have meanwhile my second new Passport in Thailand and never updated my Bank details, absolute pointless to do it.

How is it when you need to do the kind of in person transaction where they ask to see your bank book and passport?

Presumably you don't do money in the bank extension type that require a letter with your passport number.

Edited by mokwit

4 minutes ago, UWEB said:

You must have not had to go into the bank to do anything since getting the new pp then?

Once you do, it will have to be officially updated & from memory it has to be at the branch that you opened the account.

3 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Nonsense 

BTW how do you do annual extensions or perhaps you don't.

Any dealing with bank they require your pp and have you sign ID page..

In many cases the old pp would be expired. 

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

How is it when you need to do the kind of in person transaction where they ask to see your bank book and passport?

Sorry, can't answer this. Do all via Internet Banking, can transfer up to 2 million THB daily.

Just now, yabbra said:

You must have not had to go into the bank to do anything since getting the new pp then?

Once you do, it will have to be officially updated & from memory it has to be at the branch that you opened the account.

I have updated passport details at SCB at different branch to opening branch.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense 

BTW how do you do annual extensions or perhaps you don't.

Any dealing with bank they require your pp and have you sign ID page..

In many cases the old pp would be expired. 

We are talking about Banking Driver License etc, off curse I do all necessary changes at Immigration.

1 minute ago, UWEB said:

Sorry, can't answer this. Do all via Internet Banking, can transfer up to 2 million THB daily.

....until they require you to come into the branch for something e.g. BBL required me to go into branch to enable fund transfers above a certain size (50K? - for sure less than 2 million).

Just now, mokwit said:

I have updated passport details at SCB at different branch to opening branch.

That's nice to hear! Was that in the same or different province?

1 minute ago, UWEB said:

We are talking about Banking Driver License etc, off curse I do all necessary changes at Immigration.

Edit your post to make readable. 

You are posting misinformation.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Edit your post to make readable. 

You are posting misinformation.

What for misinformation?

59 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Letters are no longer required.

I renewed my passport whilst in the UK last year.
Re-entered Thailand showing both passports.

Immigration transferred the stamps from old to new without any questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Precisely. Talk about mountains out of molehills!

Simply carry both the old & the new p/p with you next time you have to go anywhere official - bank, Immigration, local government ... Once done you can just store the old p/p away with all the other old papers you have in or near your desk.

27 minutes ago, UWEB said:

What for misinformation?

Your original post was very misleading for people IMO - you stated never had problem with banks with not updating passport but omitted to mention that you were doing internet transactions and used your driving license at the branch (for how much longer one wonders/unique to your branch).

Not everybody has a driving license and some have to transact at branch. Your "well I must say I have never had that problem" post omitted certain info.

I think these type of posts where called out should be deleted as they are misleading.

By all means people should share their experience whatever it is, but posts in the "Never had to do a 90 day report" genre that omit details like they are on a NON O multiple and leave every 90 days, help nobody.

Edited by mokwit
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

If you have to go to a Bank just take your old Passport with you.

How would it not have the corner cut off? Banks are unlikely to accept it if it has the corner cut off.

Are you speculating or has it been your actual experience that an old passport with the corner cut off was accepted as valid?

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

I had a friend who due to renewing his passport couldn't transfer money in Thailand because  number didn't match with that in  bank account.  Once he updated at bank, all was OK.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Precisely. Talk about mountains out of molehills!

Yep, for us Brits, getting stamps transferred from old to new passports at IMM is generally a doddle when compared to the bureaucratic hoops we're required to jump through in order to obtain the new passport!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, UWEB said:

They asked for your old passport but you don't need it the old pass purchase your new one

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

NEW PASSPORT NUMBER

TIA

A letter is no longer being issued.

9 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Which office?  did they require any additional paperwork?

PH

11 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Which office?  did they require any additional paperwork?

PH

Roi Et.

Just the completed 'Transfer stamps to new passport' form, both passports, copies of all pages of the old passport, copy of data page of new passport and the entry stamp.