Bringing dog to Thailand for 3-6 months

On 7/16/2024 at 1:56 PM, Travel2000 said:

Hi all.  I am interested in going back to Thailand for 3-6 months (depending on the Visa I get), and want to bring my dog with me. My dog is approximately 45 pounds, so I don't know if I can bring her on a plane with me.  I have heard of companies that help take care of all the paperwork and shipping, not sure which ones are legit.  Does anyone have advice on the best way to do this, who to contact?  Any help is appreciated. 

Whomever put the laughing emoji   very helpful.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, vangrop said:

Mister there are 3 solutions for your problem:

1 You go through all the paper hassle. You pay everything and everyone involved. You follow the quarantaine rules. And most important you don't forget the brown enveloppes.

2 You do as any sane male. You leave kids, wife, dogs, blow-up-doll home

3 This one I would strongly advice to you, You book a stay in a mental asylum were dogs are allowed.

What a waste of space  .

I saw last week that the USA has banned any dog from entering its borders whether a US or foreign dog, so if your dog is out, it isnt allowed back

cant remember the news source so try google or the local international airport vet

I know that there has been a rabies ban in effect for over a year that covers Thailand to USA

Edited by schweizer

We travel all over Thailand with our ~14kg dog and have never had trouble finding accommodation, but of course, the options are a lot more limited than without a dog. We sometimes stay in hotels and sometimes airbnb or similar.

The requirements to bring them in to Thailand are pretty straightforward and you can do it yourself, but if you want an agent to help you, then Christine's Pet Travel on FB has a good reputation. The most important thing is to fly them in as excess baggage, not as cargo. They will travel in the cargo hold either way. It's just an administrative issue, but a cargo designation is a lot more expensive and complicated on arrival.

Getting them out of Thailand afterwards can be a bigger problem, depending on where you are going. If you are travelling back to the USA, be aware that the rules are going to get stricter on August 1st, and they haven't released all the details yet.

It's currently very difficult to get a USA import permit for a dog. At the moment, that process is waived for dogs that were rabies vaccinated in the USA and are returning there before the vaccine expires. However, if that changes, and you have to go through the whole application process to get back home, you might want to reconsider.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, AnotherOneHere said:

For the past 7 years I'm looking for a hotel in Bangkok (anywhere) and for a hotel in a Pattaya (under 15 minutes from beach) that will accept me with a 10+ Kg dog.

In 7 years I have zero. 

On booking you can filter for pet friendly hotels/resorts.  IBIS takes pets but not sure if they have a size limit.  

On 7/16/2024 at 2:22 PM, G Rex said:

in all seriousness - is this just a wind-up?

depending on your country of origin , there are many issues regarding vaccinations, health checks and quarantine - both on the way in, and again on returning home.

definitely not worth doing for such a short trip

Remember A Dog is for LIFE !!!

Easy enough to get them here, but I'd only recommend putting your dog through it for permanent changes such as living here full time, 2 flights in a few months is pretty bad nevermind you would need to get straight onto getting the paperwork done for heading back and for returning to some nations it can be a pain the ass (US comes to mind)

If you love your dog, don't bring him here.

Between the snakes in the garden, other rabies infected soi dogs and many other obvious administrative hassles... plainly a taxi or a Bolt will usually never accept a dog.

12 hours ago, Sigmund said:

If you love your dog, don't bring him here.

Between the snakes in the garden, other rabies infected soi dogs and many other obvious administrative hassles... plainly a taxi or a Bolt will usually never accept a dog.

A valid viewpoint, but overly negative for us. 

Mutley loves it here in Thailand with the family. 

A bit of paperwork is not too much hassle for a family member.

On 7/17/2024 at 12:49 AM, Travel2000 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully I can stay for 6 months, I feel that is a long time to leave my dog with someone else at a kennel, but perhaps it is a better option now looking at the requirements.  She is used to tropical climate, so I don't think weather would be an issue. I would stay in Phuket and rent a small home with a yard if I brought her with me.  

There are 1,000,000  rabbie infested mutts here already allowed to block 7-11 doorways,  roam free and bite kids and the elderly.

you can have one of them if you want a dog here ....      leave yours at home.  

Edited by steven100

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

There are 1,000,000  rabbie infested mutts allowed to block 7-11 doorways,  roam free and bite kids and the elderly.

No such thing here. Please stop spreading bs information, you’re scaring people 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

No such thing here. Please stop spreading bs information, you’re scaring people 

wrong ... your talking garbage,  scaring who ?   maybe you ... that's all. go away ...

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

wrong ... your talking garbage,  scaring who ?   maybe you ... that's all. go away ...

No, I ain’t going nowhere.

Take another look at this silly post…

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

There are 1,000,000  rabbie infested mutts here already allowed to block 7-11 doorways,  roam free and bite kids and the elderly.

Utterly ridiculous.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, novacova said:

No, I ain’t going nowhere.

Take another look at this silly post…

Utterly ridiculous.

why  ?    there are thousands of soi dogs roaming,  they do have diseases,  they do lay in 7-11 doorways, they do bite kids and old folk. 

now go away.