!!

Thai Airways Blocked my IP!

RAZZELL

I have been looking at flights and sometimes use a VPN to "try" and not get inflated prices.

It seems my IP address on my laptop has now been blocked by ThaiAirways which is a bit of a pain as I use them a lot (ROP Gold).

I have used other browser add ons, VPN's etc to no avail.

image.jpeg.dd3d767957b50355f6cf02e2d1a3c255.jpeg

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Looks like Cathay have as well?

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Confused 1

For security reasons that no specific cause is given by commercial sites that are or fear being prone to breaches of sensitive data utilize detection capacity of vpn's.

I have experienced a similar block when trying to use a site in country of origin that denies me any functionality beyond login with the explainer that I am identified as being outside of said country of origin and therefore denied.

And that is even when  using a vpn ip location purportedly within said country.

Annoying but cannot deny respect for the level of security.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

I use private browser to try and get cheaper prices - still blocked.

I'll keep playing around with it.

Have you tried without VPN or any addons that hide your real IP?

Edited by CallumWK
  • Agree 2

They once sent me an email to say I'm blacklisted as I had the audacity to ask why they charged £35 per kilo excess baggage and BA it was £60 for a 23kg extra bag🤔

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Windows 10
  1. Go to Start, Settings, and Network & Internet.
  2. Select Properties under your local area connection.
  3. Click Edit under IP assignment.
  4. Select Manual, toggle on the IPv4, and type in your new IP address.
  5. Click Save
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Using VPN or not will make no difference in what prices you get shown. The inflated prices occur because the website stores tracking cookies on your PC, and most likely sees the MAC address.

If you want to avoid that you should remove all cookies from your browsers and in the future use private browser only, and frequently change your MAC address.

When you use VPN you will always get a different IP, but they probably detect you are using a VPN, and that is what they block

All this is true, but I do not think you can change your MAC address. Its a hardware ethernet or wifi address as i understand, linked to the actual computer in hand. or phone or tablet. or fridge for that sake.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, paahlman said:

All this is true, but I do not think you can change your MAC address. Its a hardware ethernet or wifi address as i understand, linked to the actual computer in hand. or phone or tablet. or fridge for that sake.

This is not true, most OS systems let you change you mac address, here's an option for Linux, which I use. Many can even change the MAC address randomly each time you start your PC. See here (for a different OS just search for changing your mac address with he OS you use as a qualifier. Do make a not of your original MAC address though in case you wan to to change it back. (eg yo may have rules on your router to treat your PC differently based on the MAC address)

https://itsfoss.com/change-mac-address-linux/

Edited by BumGun
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, paahlman said:

You can't change your hardware MAC, but you can change your WIFI MAC, which is what the websites see.

There are free apps for that

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, impulse said:

I hope the OP posts back if he finds something that works and maybe even identifies the cause of his problem.

Will do.

I am "guessing" the problem was caused by using a free VPN add on - SetUp VPN on Chrome.

(I'll check the one I used on Brave.)

Because I changed my location to "Sweden" and this IP came up as "blacklisted" "malicious" or words to that effect when I googled it.

I'll have another look/play around later today.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

On 7/16/2024 at 11:51 AM, RAZZELL said:

I have been looking at flights and sometimes use a VPN to "try" and not get inflated prices.

It seems my IP address on my laptop has now been blocked by ThaiAirways which is a bit of a pain as I use them a lot (ROP Gold).

Any suggestions?

Yes, my suggestion is to stop the nonsense of using a VPN to search airline websites for flights. What's the point of that? Inflated prices...😊

You can instead use a scraper such as Momondo or Skyscanner to see what is available for particular dates.

• Agree 1

On 7/16/2024 at 12:51 PM, RAZZELL said:

Any suggestions?

Turn off the VPN.

15 hours ago, BumGun said:

This is not true, most OS systems let you change you mac address, here's an option for Linux, which I use. Many can even change the MAC address randomly each time you start your PC. See here (for a different OS just search for changing your mac address with he OS you use as a qualifier. Do make a not of your original MAC address though in case you wan to to change it back. (eg yo may have rules on your router to treat your PC differently based on the MAC address)

https://itsfoss.com/change-mac-address-linux/

Ok.I will check it out. Thanks.

15 hours ago, CallumWK said:

You can't change your hardware MAC, but you can change your WIFI MAC, which is what the websites see.

There are free apps for that

Understand.. I did mean the hardware MAC, but thought that also could be seen , but probably then only in the internal router. Not external connections.

Posted (edited)

Well...maybe it was a pre-cursor to today's nonsense?

Thai Airways working again on Brave and Chrome.

Cathay isn't on Brave.

Edited by RAZZELL