!!

07 Footy Quiz - Nok is fed up. She has no one to play with her..

Here we go then for Quiz 07. Another three questions.  Forget England, and have a night out with Nok. It's so easy. Just get three questions correct.

Let's have a butchers at last week first though. United fans should have got two of them.

Q1 - Early 1930s. A good period for goals; 1930/31. Arsenal won the league scoring 127 goals in the 42 game season. But they were not the league's top scorers that season. Who were?

a/ Everton
b/ Huddersfield Town
c/ Aston Villa ----- correct
d/ Blackburn Rovers

Scored 128 goals. Finished runners up.

Q2 - Keeping with that goal-galore season (1930/31). Who finished bottom, and was relegated; letting in 115 goals?

a/ Manchester City
b/ Bolton Wanderers
c/ Grimsby Town
d/ Manchester United----- correct

Blackpool let in 10 more; but stayed up.

Q3 - What was Alex Ferguson's first win as manager of Manchester United?

a/ 4-1 home against Newcastle
b/ 1-2 away at Blackpool
c/ 1-0 home to QPR ----- correct
d/ 0-2 away at Millwall

So let's get stuck into this weeks quizzie.

Q1 - Since WW2, a few managers have steered their clubs for over 20 years. Top of the list are Manchester United's duo; Sir Alex and Sir Matt. Who is number three on the 20 year list?

a/ Liverpool - Bill Shankly
b/ Arsenel  - Arsene Wenger
c/ Southampton - Ted Bates
d/ Spurs - Bill Nicholson.

Q2 - To avoid the dreaded drop out of the EPL; 40 points is often said to be 'the' number. This club escaped relegation to play another season with just 34 points. Who were they?

a/ Leeds United - 2000/01
b/ Queens Part Rangers - 2006/07
c/ West Bomwich Albion - 2004/05
d/ Sunderland - 1997/98

Q3 - One of the major locations for Stanley Kubrick's film 'Full Metal Jacket' was just a stones-throw from his home. Played as a youngster in Greatfields Park. Did something that no other Englishman had done. Who was/is he?

a/ George Eastham
b/ Stan Cullis
c/ Jack Charlton
d/ Bobby Moore

That's it for the footy.

Nok has asked me to put in a chess question for this week. Nothing riding on it. She just wants to know the answer.

The possible opening moves for a player with the  'black' pieces. How many?

a/ 20

b/ 16

c/ 32

d/ 24

e/ 10

That's all folks.

Good luck to all.

Edited by cdnvic
Cleaned up pasted ads and links.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Here we go then for Quiz 07. Another three questions.  Forget England, and have a night out with Nok. It's so easy. Just get three questions correct.

Let's have a butchers at last week first though. United fans should have got two of them.

Q1 - Early 1930s. A good period for goals; 1930/31. Arsenal won the league scoring 127 goals in the 42 game season. But they were not the league's top scorers that season. Who were?

a/ Everton
b/ Huddersfield Town
c/ Aston Villa ----- correct
d/ Blackburn Rovers

Scored 128 goals. Finished runners up.

Q2 - Keeping with that goal-galore season (1930/31). Who finished bottom, and was relegated; letting in 115 goals?

a/ Manchester City
b/ Bolton Wanderers
c/ Grimsby Town
d/ Manchester United----- correct

Blackpool let in 10 more; but stayed up.

Q3 - What was Alex Ferguson's first win as manager of Manchester United?

a/ 4-1 home against Newcastle
b/ 1-2 away at Blackpool
c/ 1-0 home to QPR ----- correct
d/ 0-2 away at Millwall

So let's get stuck into this weeks quizzie.

Q1 - Since WW2, a few managers have steered their clubs for over 20 years. Top of the list are Manchester United's duo; Sir Alex and Sir Matt. Who is number three on the 20 year list?

a/ Liverpool - Bill Shankly
b/ Arsenel  - Arsene Wenger
c/ Southampton - Ted Bates
d/ Spurs - Bill Nicholson.

Q2 - To avoid the dreaded drop out of the EPL; 40 points is often said to be 'the' number. This club escaped relegation to play another season with just 34 points. Who were they?

a/ Leeds United - 2000/01
b/ Queens Part Rangers - 2006/07
c/ West Bomwich Albion - 2004/05
d/ Sunderland - 1997/98

Q3 - One of the major locations for Stanley Kubrick's film 'Full Metal Jacket' was just a stones-throw from his home. Played as a youngster in Greatfields Park. Did something that no other Englishman had done. Who was/is he?

a/ George Eastham
b/ Stan Cullis
c/ Jack Charlton
d/ Bobby Moore

That's it for the footy.

Nok has asked me to put in a chess question for this week. Nothing riding on it. She just wants to know the answer.

a/ 20

b/ 16

c/ 32

d/ 24

e/ 10

That's all folks.

Good luck to all.

A bit easier this week.

Q1. C

Q2. C

Q3. D. London Docklands (Becton Gas Works?) stood in for Da Nang. Palm trees from Malaysia were rejected and ones from Hong Kong were used instead.

Bobby Moore hoisted a major international trophy for England. It was his 3rd trophy lifted at Wembley in little over 2 years (2 for WHU). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, champers said:

A bit easier this week.

Q1. C

Q2. C

Q3. D. London Docklands (Becton Gas Works?) stood in for Da Nang. Palm trees from Malaysia were rejected and ones from Hong Kong were used instead.

Bobby Moore hoisted a major international trophy for England. It was his 3rd trophy lifted at Wembley in little over 2 years (2 for WHU). 

You certainly know your football Champs.

Would you mind hanging on for just a mo while I consult with Nok?

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

a/ 20

b/ 16

c/ 32

d/ 24

e/ 10

That's an easy one, but I will not spoil the quiz by giving here already the correct answer. 

• Like 1

Re NOK's ordeal that she has nobody to play chess with her.  She could sign up to Chess.com - it's totally free and you can play chess on-line with people all over the world in bullet, blitz, 10 tio 30 minute, and multiple-day time-limit games (there are 12 varieties of time-limits to choose from).  The site also features thousands of chess-puzzles, chess lessons, chess news and much more.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

That's an easy one, but I will not spoil the quiz by giving here already the correct answer. 

Of course a chess player would know the answer as you do RP. Here's another chess teaser. You are playing 'black. Your first move is p-k4. White mates you after your second move.  What was it?

Actually a chess quiz could be riveting.  I'll get some questions together.

Under 'sport'?

Edited by owl sees all

I'll pass that on RP. 

I played chess for Ilford CC and Essex (county in England). My Grandfather won the English Open Club Player's Championship. And he was Irish! Figure that one!

21 minutes ago, champers said:

1 & 2 were educated guesses.

Should I pack a bag?

Not just yet Champs.

Let's see who trumps you in the following days. Good though!

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course a chess player would know the answer as you do RP. Here's another chess teaser. You are playing 'black. Your first move is p-k4. White mates you after your second move. 

Actually a chess quiz could be riveting.  I'll get some questions together.

Under 'sport'?

Hi Owl, good idea but please use modern notation for moves (p-k4 is e4 in modern notation).

42 minutes ago, champers said:

Bang on the money there Champs.

Bobby lived at 43 Waverley Gardens. The house has a blue heritage plaque.

Been passed a couple of times.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Hi Owl, good idea but please use modern notation for moves (p-k4 is e4 in modern notation).

Sorry RP. Stuck in the distant past. 

OK! First black move is e5. What is his second? In order to facilitate the check mate. Might have to get yer chess board out for this one.

Edited by owl sees all

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

OK! First black move is e5. What is his second? In order to facilitate the check mate. Might have to get yer chess board out for this one.

Red Phoenix posted -- ''Hi Owl, good idea but please use modern notation for moves (p-k4 is e4 in modern notation).''

So!!

Please let me simplify. As there could be some footy fans who might know a little about chess, but are not knowledgeable with the notation. I actually prefer the old.

White --  king's pawn up two places -- e4

Black --  responds the same -- e5

White --  ??

Black --  ?? -- and his last move

White --  ?? -- and it's mate!

No good looking at the chess www sites. Only I know the answer, until next week, when I will out the secret moves. And yes!! It is a conventional board (not three dimensional). Best to get the board out and move a few pieces. Only way to get the answer.

Interestingly; Nok has a twin sister; Bee. If anyone does gets the answer, I'll ask her if she could give the lucky poster a game. She is not interested in footy though; just chess (unlike twin sister Nok).  Devoted to chess she is. Unusual that for a Lao lady. But there ya go.

Edited by owl sees all
??

48 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

White --  king's pawn up two places -- e4

Black --  responds the same -- e5

White --  ??

Black --  ?? -- and his last move

White --  ?? -- and it's mate!

Hi Owl, I don't have a chess-board but took me approx 5 minutes to figure it out.

I won't be a spoil-sport for other chess-members here, so I did send you the solution PM. 🙃

• Like 1